Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Creatine and ATP supplemenation

Posted by Lynn 
Creatine and ATP supplemenation
October 22, 2018 08:12AM
I am not able to find any discussions referring to adding creatine supplements to our regimen, is there a reason? Is there a reason not to use an ATP supplement? It seems like both would help boost ATP which is good for our heart
Re: Creatine and ATP supplemenation
October 22, 2018 03:37PM
Doesn't sound to good to me:-----------

Stop using creatine and call your healthcare provider at once if you have:

•pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;

•trouble breathing;

•swelling, rapid weight gain;

•dehydration symptoms--feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin; or

•signs of an electrolyte imbalance--dry mouth, increased thirst, drowsiness, restless feeling, confusion, nausea, vomiting, increased urination, muscle pain or weakness, fast heart rate, feeling light-headed, fainting, or seizure (convulsions).

Common creatine side effects may include:

•nausea, stomach pain;

•diarrhea;

•muscle cramps; or

•weight gain.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
October 22, 2018 04:05PM
Elizabeth,

I am just beginning my research into this topic and while everything has potential side effects I was hoping for something a bit more technical or some real life experiences. I do know nonafibbers who use this supplement with good result and would certainly ck with my own doc before use, I was a bit surprised that no discussion had taken place in something that is made by our own bodies that has direct effect on cellular energy.

In fact Mayo Clinic suggests that it may be helpful for heart failure although not thoroughly studied in that regard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 04:13PM by Lynn.
October 22, 2018 04:28PM
I used creatine suppliments years ago for weight lifting and cycling. Noticed significant benefits on both fronts without any side effects.
October 22, 2018 04:56PM
Lynn

In fact Mayo Clinic suggests that it may be helpful for heart failure although not thoroughly studied in that regard.

"Heart failure. There isn't enough evidence to recommend use of oral creatine as a heart failure treatment."

[www.mayoclinic.org]

Useful for athletes that need short term burst in energy, or want to squeeze in an additional high energy rep..otherwise probably useless. Causes water weight gain, and potentially toxic.
October 23, 2018 09:25AM
Yes, but note that heart failure is grouped under a section of items that says, “Preliminary research suggests”. So I take that to mean that there are perhaps small studies that are favorable for using creatine for heart failure, just not enough to actually recommend for heart failure. I’d say that may supplements recommended on this board don’t hsve enough research for docs to actually recommend for afib or any heart condition, but they seem to work for many.
October 23, 2018 04:06PM
Lynn
Yes, but note that heart failure is grouped under a section of items that says, “Preliminary research suggests”. So I take that to mean that there are perhaps small studies that are favorable for using creatine for heart failure, just not enough to actually recommend for heart failure.

You misread it. The “preliminary research suggests” statement applies to using it as a cream for skin aging, not heart failure.
October 23, 2018 04:34PM
Hi Lynn,

I highly doubt ATP would survive the digestive process and would likely be broken down to ADP/AMP and phosphate. It is not a particularly stable molecule. Even if it was adsorbed into the bloodstream, it would not do much good unless it could get into cells. Typically ATP is generated and used within cells. That said, there is some literature on the use of adenosine as a supplement .
October 25, 2018 11:04AM
Supplements are not always harmless

[www.bbc.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login