Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 months this Saturday

Posted by rocketritch 
3 months this Saturday
October 18, 2018 12:15PM
This Saturday will be 3 months since my ablation with Dr Natale. I was contacted by his office today and they want me to stop the flecainide.

It's been over a month since I have had any arrhythmia and they want to see how I'll do without it. I mean that's the whole idea right? So I'll start tapering tomorrow.

I'll stay on the metoprolol and elequis for now. If all goes well I'll be returning to Austin for a TEE to measure the function of my LAA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 12:16PM by rocketritch.
Re: 3 months this Saturday
October 18, 2018 01:04PM
Best to you and for a smooth transition.
October 18, 2018 01:45PM
I particularly enjoy the posts where patients tell us they're feeling fine now, after ablation or after having followed some good advices they have found here.
It's so temting to stop posting once we're fine...
Thanks for your post, Rocketritch.
October 18, 2018 11:44PM
Congratulations Rocketritch - I have been very interested in your progress as I feel that my post ablation experience has been a bit like yours. Please keep us all posted as to how things progress for you. I am wishing you only the best!
October 19, 2018 03:28AM
Good luck Rocketritch. In another month or so I'll be where you are now: I must say that whilst obviously not wanting to be taking it for the rest of my life I do feel somewhat apprehensive about giving up the daily Flecainide that has been part of my life for over 10 years. I will definitely be tapering it down slowly over a period of a couple of months rather than just stopping it altogether. I think that being as much because I've been taking it for such a long time prior to the ablation rather than just during the blanking period. Very much hoping things go smoothly for you from now on and do keep us posted.
October 19, 2018 10:29AM
mwcf
I will definitely be tapering it down slowly over a period of a couple of months rather than just stopping it altogether. I think that being as much because I've been taking it for such a long time prior to the ablation rather than just during the blanking period.

Like exercise, I think the body will let you know better than any prescribed schedule. Post ablation with Richard Hongo, 120mg diltiazem felt great in easing related stress. Coming up to 3 months of blanking period, heart is quiet so weeded it out over the last week or so. Now, even a half dose gives me a minor headache.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2018 10:30AM by jpeters.
October 19, 2018 12:19PM
jpeters

I will definitely be tapering it down slowly over a period of a couple of months rather than just stopping it altogether. I think that being as much because I've been taking it for such a long time prior to the ablation rather than just during the blanking period.

Like exercise, I think the body will let you know better than any prescribed schedule. Post ablation with Richard Hongo, 120mg diltiazem felt great in easing related stress. Coming up to 3 months of blanking period, heart is quiet so weeded it out over the last week or so. Now, even a half dose gives me a minor headache.

The office said that I could just stop taking it. I don't like just quitting anything, so I'll taper over a few days and be off by next Friday. I've been on anti-arrhythmia drugs since January so not a long time for sure.
October 19, 2018 12:28PM
rocketritch

The office said that I could just stop taking it. I don't like just quitting anything, so I'll taper over a few days and be off by next Friday. I've been on anti-arrhythmia drugs since January so not a long time for sure.

Very wise. The body needs to adjust.
October 19, 2018 02:58PM
I am 6 months post 2nd ablation with Dr Natale back on April 17th. Stopped Flec and atenolol at 3 months. Struggled with ectopics after stopping meds. Started taking 200mg magnesium about 3 -4 weeks ago. Last two weeks been essentially in NSR (some odd bumps here and there but alls well that ends well). Keeping my fingers crossed. Received my ZIO XT patch in the mail today. So we'll see how that goes. Plan on making a TEE appointment in Austin hopefully within the next couple of months. All the best to everyone. Joe
October 19, 2018 03:28PM
Its been a couple of months since my Natale ablation and I'm just on metoprolol and eliquis. He wanted me on flec but I told him I had opposite effect when I had tried it previously so he didn't insist on it. Been in NSR since surgery. Not a fan of flec at all. Would make my heart pound while in afib and didn't reduce the amount of afib episodes.
Glad to read you guys are doing well post ablation. I personally feel like I won the lottery. smiling smiley
October 20, 2018 02:00AM
Great news, Rocketritch. Good to hear of such new beginnings!

--Lance
October 25, 2018 03:33PM
The taper is going well. Down to 50 mg/day from 200mg. Will be off the Flecainide completely this weekend.
October 25, 2018 04:58PM
rocketritch
The taper is going well. Down to 50 mg/day from 200mg. Will be off the Flecainide completely this weekend.

Low doses of Flecainide don't seem to do much anyway.

[academic.oup.com]
October 25, 2018 07:00PM
jpeters

Low doses of Flecainide don't seem to do much anyway.

[academic.oup.com]

The taper I did was pretty much what I did following my ablation in 2009. I was on 50mg flecanide twice a day for 6 months post ablation that time. No arrhythmias during the entire period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2018 05:37PM by rocketritch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login