Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Genetic links

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Genetic links
October 17, 2018 07:35PM
As so many of you know i wonder if some of the more analytical thinkers on here can condense this link into simpler and more practical language?
[www.jci.org]
I've been in AF for the last few weeks and had a meeting with the Cardiologist/EP yesterday. While he is pleasant and accommodating to a degree he just steers me back to what can we do NOW smiling smiley
He prescribed Atenolol 50mg 2x/day and (on my request, he intended to just up the Sotalol)Flec 50mg 2x/day for the first week and then 100mg 2x/day. He was reluctant to prescribe the Flec because i never had an Angiogram or functional MRI.

I might be dreaming, but if genes can be turned on then shouldn't we be able to turn them off if we know what to do/do the right thing???
Re: Genetic links
October 17, 2018 08:15PM
Joe:

When I first got AF, my regular Med. doctor prescribed Atenolol, 25mg. only once a day, I felt terrible made me very tried. I got a 1st. degree heart block where my heart rate dropped to almost a flat line when going back to NSR from an episode of AF. I went to a EP and he prescribed a pacemaker and I happened to read his notes (he wasn't around) and it said that the beta blocker probably caused my heart block.
Why did you want the atenolol was Sotalol giving you problems? They are both beta blockers so probably doesn't matter which one you take, are you having a fast heartrate being in AF?

Liz
October 17, 2018 08:20PM
That's a long, complex article to boil down into simpler language. That would be a bit of a project.

I might be dreaming, but if genes can be turned on then shouldn't we be able to turn them off if we know what to do/do the right thing???

Sure, that's called gene therapy, and I firmly believe that's where the eventual cure for afib will come from. But the hard part is that "knowing what to do" part. First, you have to identify the responsible genes, then you need to find a way to switch the right genes on or off, and then you need to do extensive testing. That process takes years, if not decades. I don't expect to see a gene therapy for afib in the next 10 years, or perhaps even in my lifetime.
October 18, 2018 06:57AM
I GOOGLED gene therapy for afib. Lots of stuff to go through.
[www.google.com]
Other related searches you can go through. stem cell therapy for afib / how i cured my afib / stem cell and atrial fibrillation
/ how to cure afib naturally.

Going through some of this stuff, here is one comment about stopping an AF episode.
When I started an episode I would drink a large glass of ice cold water and then lie down. The cold water going to my heart seemed to have a relaxing effect which stopped the AF.

Did An Irregular Heartbeat Help Make Beethoven a Music Legend?
[www.activebeat.com]
October 18, 2018 01:58PM
I've read one guy's comment, not so long ago, about how he stopped an afib episode by just drinking fresh Orval beer.
It's a belgian monk beer, very low in sugar, about 6° alcohol.
I've not yet tried the method. Maybe should I ?
Joe
October 18, 2018 03:52PM
Elizabeth
Joe:

When I first got AF, my regular Med. doctor prescribed Atenolol, 25mg. only once a day, I felt terrible made me very tried. I got a 1st. degree heart block where my heart rate dropped to almost a flat line when going back to NSR from an episode of AF. I went to a EP and he prescribed a pacemaker and I happened to read his notes (he wasn't around) and it said that the beta blocker probably caused my heart block.
Why did you want the atenolol was Sotalol giving you problems? They are both beta blockers so probably doesn't matter which one you take, are you having a fast heartrate being in AF?

Liz
Thanks for the heads up Liz!
I'm 11 hrs after taking the third dose of both 'poisons'. My HR this morning is high 90s, BP is slightly up, particularly diastolic.
On the exercise EKG/Echo my HR got to 197 but the heart seemd to cope ok - maybe that's why he prescribed sooo much atnolol?
I'm still taking Mg, making sure my K intake is high and i supplement with B12 CoQ10, Omega 3, sunshine, E (only changes are the 'poisons' sad smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 04:09PM by Joe.
Joe
October 18, 2018 03:58PM
Carey
That's a long, complex article to boil down into simpler language. That would be a bit of a project.

Sure, that's called gene therapy, and I firmly believe that's where the eventual cure for afib will come from. But the hard part is that "knowing what to do" part. First, you have to identify the responsible genes, then you need to find a way to switch the right genes on or off, and then you need to do extensive testing. That process takes years, if not decades. I don't expect to see a gene therapy for afib in the next 10 years, or perhaps even in my lifetime.

I know gene therapy is still way off for us here. Was thinking more along the line of doing lifestyle/diet changes to effect gene expression back from AF? Much the same as cognitive decline can be slowed/stopped? if one is Apoe4/4 by diet/life style.

Just a thought. Many of us come across all sorts of ideas/research. Most leads to nothing but one never knows.
My cardiologist(s) seem to be stuck on a mantra as well and so far haven't been very helpful.
October 21, 2018 07:44AM
Epigenetic Memories Are Passed Down 14 Successive Generations, Game-Changing Research Reveals
[www.collective-evolution.com]
A lot to go through.
Anybody familiar with antiarrhythmic drug procainamide ?

We inherit one allele, or variant, of each gene from our mother and the other from our father. If the result of epigenetic processes is imprinting, a phenomenon where one of the two alleles of a gene pair is turned off, this can generate a deleterious health outcome if the expressed allele is defective or increases our susceptibility to infections or toxicants (1). Studies link cancers of nearly all types, neurobehavioral and cognitive dysfunction, respiratory illnesses, autoimmune disorders, reproductive anomalies, and cardiovascular disease to epigenetic mechanisms (1). For example, the cardiac antiarrhythmic drug procainamide and the antihypertensive agent hydralazine can cause lupus in some people by causing aberrant patterns of DNA methylation and disrupting signalling pathways (1)
Joe
October 21, 2018 07:21PM
Thanks for the link, Todd! Plenty to think about.
Joe
October 23, 2018 02:38AM
I've come across this link:[ghr.nlm.nih.gov]
Unfortunately my understanding is not sufficient to make definite links to my problem and changes i could make to fix it sad smiley

23&me tells me that KCNQ1 is in chromosome 11 and they list over 80 SNPs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 02:46AM by Joe.
October 26, 2018 10:11PM
Todd
Epigenetic Memories Are Passed Down 14 Successive Generations, Game-Changing Research Reveals
[www.collective-evolution.com]

I was watching the History channel which was about the Neanderthal man, their DNA has survived in modern man, maybe about 4 to 6%, they lived over 40,000 years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login