Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12 Year Anniversary Next Month

Posted by Ken 
Ken
12 Year Anniversary Next Month
October 14, 2018 11:14AM
I have my 12-year ablation anniversary in Nov. Here is my story, plus it’s worth noting that I didn’t find this website until after my ablation.

73 years old; excellent physical condition; 6', 170 lbs; 11 years of LAF; was on meds for the last 6 years after diagnosis; averaged 33 episodes per year for those 6 years (documented when and how long they lasted). The episodes ranged from a few minutes to 72 hrs (average time per episode was about 10 hrs). Converted only once at the hospital, but after that visit, my Dr. said that since I was so healthy, staying in afib would not be an issue, plus I always converted back on my own.

The only trigger I suspected was more than one alcoholic drink, which could have been related to dehydration more than the alcohol itself.
For the majority of my afib, I was on Plavix 75 mg; Toprol XL 25 mg; Norpace CR 200 mg twice a day. With this combination of meds, I lead a normal life 99.9% of the time. It was typical to not notice I was in a-fib, unless going up a flight of stairs. The Plavix was prescribed because of the risk of bleeding with my active lifestyle, plus my CHAD score was 0.

Ablated in November '06 (over 60 "burns" in the left atrium). I had been postponing extensive hiking trips and vacations because of the afib and finally decided it was time. The summer after the ablation, my wife and I spent 7 days hiking in the Dolomites in northern Italy.

Stopped all meds at ablation and was put on Warfarin for 4 weeks post ablation, but no other meds. No a-fib period, during the blanking period and for the next four years.

Returned to normal activity two days after ablation.

Returned to normal exercise 4 weeks post ablation. Felt like I could have started working out the day after the ablation, but decided it was wise to follow the Dr's advice.

While exercising, I reached my anaerobic threshold much quicker than pre-ablation (reduced atrial function from ablation trauma). This steadily improved during the first year, then leveled off to what I would consider normal. I do weight workouts twice a week, golf twice a week, windsurfing (40+ days a year) and walking 3-4 times a week. I pay close attention to staying hydrated while exercising and drink 20oz of G2 (plus a lot of water) when sweating profusely.

Resting heart rate was in the 50's pre-ablation while on meds.

Resting heart rate for three months post ablation - 70's.

Resting heart rate for 4 years post ablation – 60's.
Resting heart rate now - upper 50’s/lower 60’s.

Three episodes of A-fib? since ablation in August of 2010, August 2012 & Oct. 2018. Lasted 2 hours one morning, 4 hours one night and 2 hours late morning while windsurfing. Felt like A-fib, but heart rate was only in the 80's! Not totally sure what it was since my heart rate was 180 while in afib prior to going on meds.

Infrequent PVCs for 2 to 4 seconds. Maybe twice a month. Usually the precursor to an A-fib episode pre-ablation, but now just subsides. By the time I get to my pulse, it's gone. Have been taking Taurine, Magnesium and Potassium daily. The frequency of my PVCs have been cut back significantly in the last few years as I have upped the dosage, but still below what is recommended here. I try to eat a diet high in Magnesium and Potassium, but nothing special beyond that. I have a cup (16 oz) of caffeinated coffee, blue berries, a few ounces of mixed nuts, glass of red wine and a small amount of dark chocolate daily. In addition to the A-Fib supplements, I only take a multi-vitamin and an extra 2000 mg of vitamin D (tested a little low at my annual physical years ago. NO prescription meds.
No history of A-Fib in my family, but extensive endurance training may be a cause. I was a competitive swimmer at the highest level for several years, including the Olympics in 1968.

Overall, my ablation experience couldn't have been better. I believe a high level of fitness greatly reduces the impact of afib on one’s lifestyle.

Ablation done by Dr. Kevin R. Wheelan - Baylor Med. Center, Heart Place, Dallas, TX

Keeping my fingers crossed for “one and done”. Good luck to all in the same boat.

Ken
Re: 12 Year Anniversary Next Month
October 14, 2018 02:06PM
Great story. I'm glad to see a positive outcome on here.

It's good to know that fitness and looming after your body reaps positive rewards. My father died 3 months before my own ablation and a month after my own diagnosis, and he had been in really poor health for many years. Much of this because he never looked after himself throughout his life.

As a result, I have since lost 2 stone and started exercising regularly with my wife (before other health issues cropped up). So I can agree that, prior to this, a good level of healthy lifestyle and fitness do help.

Hope this continues for you Ken.
October 14, 2018 04:56PM
Thank you very much, Ken, for your story.
You're giving me hope to feel better in the future.
I wish you the best.
October 14, 2018 10:28PM
After 12 years, you’ve enjoyed a level of success that would be almost unrivaled. I would almost venture to say that a recurrence of AF at this point may not even really be a recurrence at all, at least not of the original source. Continue to enjoy NSR! We should all be so fortunate.
October 15, 2018 12:46AM
What a great and hopeful story. Good luck going forward Ken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 06:56AM by lds001.
October 15, 2018 02:58AM
Good to read Ken. Good job!
October 15, 2018 10:08AM
Thank you! You give us all hope to live our best lives!
October 15, 2018 11:00AM
Great news. Congrats to you and your EP.

--Lance
October 15, 2018 11:01AM
Great report, Ken. Thanks for sharing the details.
Congratulations.

Jackie
October 16, 2018 10:16AM
Outstanding report, Ken. Keep it up!

George
October 16, 2018 12:36PM
Congratulations Ken! Here's to another 12 and beyond.
October 18, 2018 09:25AM
Great write up and glad you had success right out of the shute. Continued good health to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login