Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it OK to have a little alcohol now that I no longer have Afib?

Posted by tobherd 
Is it OK to have a little alcohol now that I no longer have Afib?
October 09, 2018 09:00PM
Hello all - I have had 2 ablations, both with Dr. Natale, and knock on wood, have been Afib free for over 4 years now. I am not much of a drinker, but would like to occasionally have a cocktail. I always liked White Russians and am wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't have one from time to time? I did try one last night and told the bartender to go easy on the vodka, and all I noticed was my heart pounding a little, which it used to do long before I got Afib too...

I am on Atenolol, Eliquis and Triamereze (diuretic), for high BP and diastolic dysfunction, both of which seem to be well controlled.

Much appreciate your comments ~ Barb
Re: Is it OK to have a little alcohol now that I no longer have Afib?
October 09, 2018 09:05PM
Have a drink! Enjoy!! Like my EP said, have a glass just note the entire bottle.
October 09, 2018 10:04PM
Haha - definitely not the whole bottle!
October 09, 2018 10:15PM
As long as the Russian isn’t named Putin, go for it! smileys with beer
October 10, 2018 01:20AM
Is alcohol a trigger?

If not, it's not a worry, IMHO.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
October 10, 2018 03:29AM
lisa s
Is alcohol a trigger?

If not, it's not a worry, IMHO.

For those that have had ablations where alcohol was a trigger for their afib, do they find that it is no longer a trigger? I would hope that after the ablation it would no longer be. Anyone with that experience?
October 10, 2018 04:43AM
I never triggered afib with alcohol. But alcohol causes dehydration, so, if I drink some glasses of beer or wine, I'm sure I'll be somewhat dehydrated while sleeping, which may induce afib.
I then avoid drinking more than 1 or 2 glasses, occasionally, and I'm very careful with this in the evening.
October 10, 2018 04:28PM
I often have a glass of wine ( 4 oz.) in the evening when my husband has a cocktail. Since I limit it to 4 oz., I have had no ill effects as a result. Maybe I could have another glass....but I don't want to risk it in case it could trigger my a-fib. I 've had 3 ablations and have been in NSR for more than 4 years following the last one. I think there are quite a few people who find that being moderate in their alcohol intake does not cause a problem....it all depends on the individual. EP was right.....don't drink the whole bottle! smiling smiley
October 10, 2018 08:22PM
Brian_og
For those that have had ablations where alcohol was a trigger for their afib, do they find that it is no longer a trigger? I would hope that after the ablation it would no longer be. Anyone with that experience?

If an ablation was successful then all former triggers will no longer be triggers. If they are then the ablation wasn't really successful.

The only caveat to the above is drinking to excess. Binge drinking has long been known to cause afib even in people who don't have afib ("Holiday Heart Syndrome"), so an ablation wouldn't protect you from that. The same would apply to dehydration, electrolyte depletion, heart surgery, and all the things known to cause afib in people who don't normally have it.
October 10, 2018 08:49PM
I never really “pinpointed” a certain trigger point for my AFIB but I did not realize I had a issue. It was found a a yearly physical. I was already in persistent AFIB at that point. I never came out of AFIB without the ole shock paddles until I had been ablated the1st time.
Anyway, I will take a whisky sour with Maker’s Mark on ice or A Good Amaretto on ice with a twist of Lemon.
Life is good in NSR.
October 11, 2018 06:19AM
Carey: You give good advice and make good sense in this group so often, so directly to the point, so understandably, without wasting words. I think you should have a regular blog somewhere.

You seldom mention your own situation but it seems to me after your most recent Natale implant that it may be time for you to give up blood thinners, or maybe you already have.

Let us know your status, please, as the future of many may depend upon the success of you and others in your study.

Gordon
October 11, 2018 10:47AM
ggheld
You seldom mention your own situation but it seems to me after your most recent Natale implant that it may be time for you to give up blood thinners, or maybe you already have.

Let us know your status, please, as the future of many may depend upon the success of you and others in your study.

You're too kind. Thank you. I stopped Eliquis a month ago following a TEE to verify that the Watchman device remained correctly placed and leak free. They switched me to low-dose aspirin and Plavix instead, and I'll continue that until February. In February, I'll stop the Plavix leaving aspirin as my only med. They recommend that I continue the aspirin for life, but I think that's more out of sense of "we have to do something" rather than being truly necessary. I haven't decided yet if I'll continue it or not. There are pros and cons, but it will be good knowing that whatever I decide isn't a big risk either way.

What I really enjoyed was donating four unopened bottles of Eliquis to a friend who was financially strapped and in the Medicare doughnut hole.
October 11, 2018 12:12PM
Carey

They recommend that I continue the aspirin for life, but I think that's more out of sense of "we have to do something" rather than being truly necessary.

I thought they said previously that wasn't necessary.
October 11, 2018 12:37PM
Hi Barb - Several years ago, Shannon offered a comment about alcohol consumption and I believe it was related to Dr. Natale's advice on the topic. If we can find the post, that would be best, but as I recall, the general recommendation was to avoid hard liquor and if you do imbibe, then have just small amounts of wine at a time... like in a spritzer.

Just remember that alcohol is known to have a detrimental effect on heart cells and it definitely helps deplete magnesium.
So, if you do splurge, then be sure to replete with some extra dosing. I think the major comments we're heard about with problems post-ablation and alcohol is related to heavy consumption.

Jackie
October 11, 2018 02:29PM
carey;jpeters

They recommend that I continue the aspirin for life, but I think that's more out of sense of "we have to do something" rather than being truly necessary.

Part of participating in this study is helping to establish protocols. I'm under the impression Dr. Natale, were his home base in Europe, would not necessarily follow American protocol and simply leave it up to the patient, off the record. I'll probably continue taking aspirin until of a certain age. I don't know what that age is. And I have other reasons for not stopping it that involve life threatening allergies.
October 11, 2018 02:33PM
Jackie
the general recommendation was to avoid hard liquor and if you do imbibe, then have just small amounts of wine at a time... like in a spritzer.
Jackie

I believe this is good common sense. I think you can drink whatever floats your boat, but in moderation. No more than a couple. Everyone is different though. For me alcohol was a trigger. When I drank, I drank. I loved beer. I've had 2 beers this year. Why tempt fate? To do so would be disrespectful to all the wonderful people that have got me to where I am right now.
October 11, 2018 02:39PM
Sure is weird, aspirin gets a bad rap yet Dr. Natalie says to take it for life, head-scratcher.

L
October 11, 2018 04:08PM
Elizabeth
Sure is weird, aspirin gets a bad rap yet Dr. Natalie says to take it for life, head-scratcher.

L
I wonder what Boston Scientific says about it. I don't think they can afford yet another fiasco.
October 11, 2018 05:22PM
jpeters

Natale said privately that he doesn't think it's really necessary, but it's what the study protocol recommend. It's phrased as a recommendation, though, not as a must do.
October 11, 2018 05:25PM
jpeters

L I wonder what Boston Scientific says about it. I don't think they can afford yet another fiasco.

Natale did not say to take it for life. The study protocols recommend it, but he did not establish the protocols.
October 11, 2018 06:03PM
Thanks for all of your replies, everyone! I wasn't a big drinker before getting Afib (except in college...but ahem..that was awhile ago...winking smiley - so not drinking isn't very hard to do. But once in awhile when out with friends, I wouldn't mind having 1 "hard" drink, like a White Russian, or a wine spritzer, without feeling like I'm tempting Afib to come back.....

It's funny...a lot of people treat you like you still have Afib, in spite of a successful ablation, including my Cardiologist. When I called the office recently, the Physician's Asst. told me my cardiologist had rated me a 5 on the CHAD's score! While I did have high BP, it's under control with meds now...so not sure why she would rate me so high.....anyone have a similiar experience?

Barb
October 11, 2018 06:04PM
After my 1st Ablation, Dr. Natale told me to continue taking a daily coated 325 mg Aspirin. I was already on a 81 mg baby aspirin from a 2012 stent but he wanted me to increase it to 325 mg. This was for life. I got off Xarelto 6 months after my 1st Ablation But my LAA was not ablated until the 2nd Ablation.
I currently take a 81 mg coated aspirin daily along with 2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day.

Some on this board question why I still take a baby aspirin. All I can tell you is Dr. Natale and my Local Cardiologist say to. I would stop it in a heartbeat if I could because it does cause stomach irritation.
October 11, 2018 07:38PM
tobherd
It's funny...a lot of people treat you like you still have Afib, in spite of a successful ablation, including my Cardiologist. When I called the office recently, the Physician's Asst. told me my cardiologist had rated me a 5 on the CHAD's score! While I did have high BP, it's under control with meds now...so not sure why she would rate me so high.....anyone have a similiar experience?

You still get a point for the hypertension even if it's controlled. You're female, so there's two points. Are you over 65? That makes three, or four if you're over 75. Add one more item and you're at five. However, a lot of EPs don't count the point for being female as "real."

Go here and calculate it yourself.
October 12, 2018 12:14AM
Even if I went afib free, I would find logical my EP or cardiologist consider I'm still an afibber. I mean a potential afibber. The bad gene would still be there, but its effects aslept.
October 12, 2018 09:40PM
So that doesn't make sense to me on the CHAD score. What's the point of lowering your BP if they still consider that you have high BP on any measurements done? So I'd have a point if I had uncontrolled OR controlled BP?

Also...if I don't have Afib anymore, why do I even need to have a CHAD score?

When Dr. Natale had me on 2.5 mg. of Eliquis twice/day, my cardiologist thought that low amount did little to nothing to protect me against a possible stroke, so she increased it to double that amount. Yet I see that some people are still taking that amount....

All a bit confusing and frustrating.....seems like once you have something, you're labeled for life.

Barb
October 12, 2018 10:08PM
Barb;

Good questions, if you no longer have AF, then why do you have to take an anticoagulant. I know what Carey will say but I don't believe it. I think doctors are pushing these drugs because the drug companies need the money to pay for their expense in bringing all of these new anticoagulants to market, so they are pushing the doctors to keep prescribing them.
October 13, 2018 12:32AM
tobherd
So that doesn't make sense to me on the CHAD score. What's the point of lowering your BP if they still consider that you have high BP on any measurements done?

Because hypertension will kill you all on its own with or without the afib.

Also...if I don't have Afib anymore, why do I even need to have a CHAD score?

Because afib is a disease -- atrial myopathy. Having it means you're more likely to form clots than people who don't have it even if you're no longer in afib. EPs debate why that is, but for now it just is. I don't like it any more than you do.

When Dr. Natale had me on 2.5 mg. of Eliquis twice/day, my cardiologist thought that low amount did little to nothing to protect me against a possible stroke, so she increased it to double that amount. Yet I see that some people are still taking that amount....

Your EP is wrong. Why would they make half-dose Eliquis if it did little to nothing? I would always stick with Dr. Natale's advice.

I understand your frustration but there just aren't always hard answers. There's no right or wrong. There's only less likely vs. more likely, and with the bad stuff you want to aim for less likely.
October 13, 2018 01:18AM
Carey

Your EP is wrong. Why would they make half-dose Eliquis if it did little to nothing? I would always stick with Dr. Natale's advice.

Eliquis Dosage

[www.drugs.com]

I've also seen studies that have found even older patients would do better on the higher dose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 01:26AM by jpeters.
October 13, 2018 04:34AM
My reading suggests a large factor (maybe the largest factor) in ‘atrial myopathy’ (and particularly AF-associated stroke-risk) is atrial fibrosis. For example see:

<[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov];

I take no small degree of comfort in the fact that in August this year Prof Jais told me I had NO low voltage (fibrosis) anywhere when he mapped my atria.
October 13, 2018 07:16AM
mwcf
My reading suggests a large factor (maybe the largest factor) in ‘atrial myopathy’ (and particularly AF-associated stroke-risk) is atrial fibrosis. For example see:

I take no small degree of comfort in the fact that in August this year Prof Jais told me I had NO low voltage (fibrosis) anywhere when he mapped my atria.

Great article. Thanks.

Money quotes here as to why you are still POSSIBLY more likely to have a stroke even if you are no longer in Afib:

"Studies utilizing transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) have shown that decreased flow in the LA and particularly LA appendage (LAA), which is the typical site of thrombus formation, are independent risk factors for stroke in AF....

....As with TEE, flow velocities in patients imaged during sinus rhythm were higher than those imaged in AF, but were significantly depressed compared to a similarly aged cohort without a history of AF. Almost by definition, the atrial myopathy underlying AF is likely responsible for the diminished flow observed in patients with AF imaged when in sinus rhythm."

I guess theoretically they should be able to measure your flow to determine if it is lower that normal population?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 07:18AM by Brian_og.
October 13, 2018 10:22AM
Thanks Mike for that link. The mitochondria report I've been attempting to organize for posting here will address the myopathy topic as a symptom of underlying mitochondria dysfunction. I'm still working to condense to a readable form; otherwise, it might turn out to be book. I know you'll be interested.

Now my computer is acting up so there's another delay. Sigh.
Best to you,
Jackie
October 13, 2018 12:14PM
Jackie
Thanks Mike for that link. The mitochondria report I've been attempting to organize for posting here will address the myopathy topic as a symptom of underlying mitochondria dysfunction. I'm still working to condense to a readable form; otherwise, it might turn out to be book. I know you'll be interested.

"Oxidation of cardiolipin reduces cytochrome c binding and results in an increased level of "free" cytochrome c in the intermembrane space. Conversely, mitochondrial antioxidant enzymes protect from apoptosis. Hence, there is accumulating evidence supporting a direct link between mitochondria, oxidative stress and cell death."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Joe
October 13, 2018 07:20PM
The other important step seems to be autophagy? Apoptosis is a normal process and isn't a problem as long as the body deals with it?
From my understanding, time restricted eating and/or fasting does take care of that or at least facilitates the process of autophagy?
October 14, 2018 12:55AM
Joe
The other important step seems to be autophagy? Apoptosis is a normal process and isn't a problem as long as the body deals with it?
From my understanding, time restricted eating and/or fasting does take care of that or at least facilitates the process of autophagy?

Apoptosis and oxidative stress isn't great when it's connected with inflammation:

" Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress as a major cause of age-related diseases and cancer. ... Inflammatory process induces oxidative stress and reduces cellular antioxidant capacity. Overproduced free radicals react with cell membrane fatty acids and proteins impairing their function permanently."

Autophagy when induced by controlled fasting is probably a good thing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 12:58AM by jpeters.
October 14, 2018 12:58PM
jpeters

Apoptosis and oxidative stress isn't great when it's connected with inflammation:

" Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress as a major cause of age-related diseases and cancer. ... Inflammatory process induces oxidative stress and reduces cellular antioxidant capacity. Overproduced free radicals react with cell membrane fatty acids and proteins impairing their function permanently."

Autophagy when induced by controlled fasting is probably a good thing

This is just my opinion and I mean nothing mean about it. Please write in layman’s English or do this type of discussion by Private Message. Even though I am well educated beyond High school, I have no idea what you are talking about. It’s not a forum to see who can be the most intellect with medical terms. This is basically a layman’s forum.
IMO, This helps no one.
Thanks
October 14, 2018 01:28PM
smackman

This is just my opinion and I mean nothing mean about it. Please write in layman’s English or do this type of discussion by Private Message. Even though I am well educated beyond High school, I have no idea what you are talking about. It’s not a forum to see who can be the most intellect with medical terms. This is basically a layman’s forum.
IMO, This helps no one.
Thanks

The information in the quotes is from the study, Without that, my one line comments (this isn't great, this is, etc) probably wouldn't mean much. Some of this is a bit heady.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 01:29PM by jpeters.
October 14, 2018 01:40PM
jpeters

IMO, This helps no one.
Thanks

The information in the quotes is from the study, Without that, my one line comments (this isn't great, this is, etc) probably wouldn't mean much. Some of this is a bit heady.

Way over my head and I have a masters degree in Electro Technology Engineering and I am 60 with a lot of gray hair. Lol 😂 I could talk about coding, PLC, DCS etc. Let’s keep this to where we are helping most AFIBBERS not our impressive vocabulary whether you say it or quite it.
I mean no malice.
October 14, 2018 02:06PM
smackman

Way over my head and I have a masters degree in Electro Technology Engineering and I am 60 with a lot of gray hair. Lol 😂 I could talk about coding, PLC, DCS etc. Let’s keep this to where we are helping most AFIBBERS not our impressive vocabulary whether you say it or quite it.
I mean no malice.

The terms oxidative stress, free radicals, chronic inflammation used in studies are worth looking up, because they have a lot to do with the aging process and in fact shorten telomeres. Fortunately, there are proven ways to reverse the process via diet, supplements, exercise, and reduction of stress, etc. Sugar is probably the biggest offender.
October 14, 2018 02:19PM
So Carrie...you say that high BP will kill you with or without Afib, but that wasn't the question. If you no longer have high BP because it is well controlled with meds...and you no longer have Afib (because you've had a Natale ablation), then why does BP still register on the CHADS score? And again, isn't this score for people who currently have Afib??

Just as an FYI - I recently had another TEE up at Montefiore, read by the doctor that was requested to read it by Dr. Natale - and my report was good:

Peak emptying LA appendange velocity was 41.4
Peak filling LA appendage velocity was 67.4
Normal left ventricular ejection fraction.

All other measurements taken were normal.
Blood pressure pre: 111/74 Post: 104/61

So shouldn't I be able to at least take a lesser dose of Eliquis?

Dr. DiBiase called me afterwards and told me they'd like me to come back in 6 months to do another one, as I guess they are nervous to let me get off of the Eliquis.....and of course, I don't want to if it really is dangerous to do so.

Would getting a Watchman end all of the uncertainty and give enough protection to no longer have to worry?

Ahh....Barb
October 14, 2018 06:11PM
tobherd
So Carey Carrie...you say that high BP will kill you with or without Afib, but that wasn't the question. If you no longer have high BP because it is well controlled with meds...and you no longer have Afib (because you've had a Natale ablation), then why does BP still register on the CHADS score? And again, isn't this score for people who currently have Afib??

Because that's how the CHADS score is applied. I didn't create it. Not being in afib certainly lowers your stroke risk, but it turns out that people who have had afib in the past have an elevated stroke risk even if they're no longer in afib. It's observations like that have led doctors to start considering afib a symptom rather than a disease in its own right. The disease is atrial myopathy and one of its symptoms is afib.

Nope. The minimum LAA velocity to stop anticoagulants is 45. You're close enough that they're asking you to come back in 6 months on the hope it might improve.

Would getting a Watchman end all of the uncertainty and give enough protection to no longer have to worry?

Yes.
Joe
October 14, 2018 06:33PM
smackman

IMO, This helps no one.
Thanks

I mean no malice.

I understand your frustration, Smackman.
My formal education is not at your level, AF just got me interested in how things might work and technical terms are just shorthand (and there are many i still have to learn). Getting into detailed explanation would make things very long-winded at times, but helpful.
Either let it fly or ask for specific explanations?
If you told me about Electro Technology Engineering, coding etc. i'd be glazing over or be looking up things forever.
That's what i did when i learned English in my 20s, reading books in English and underlining every word i did not understand and then looking it it up in an English/English dictionary.
October 14, 2018 07:14PM
Carey

Because that's how the CHADS score is applied. I didn't create it. Not being in afib certainly lowers your stroke risk, but it turns out that people who have had afib in the past have an elevated stroke risk even if they're no longer in afib. It's observations like that have led doctors to start considering afib a symptom rather than a disease in its own right. The disease is atrial myopathy and one of its symptoms is afib.

Yes.

Curious why getting a Watchman would cure all atrial myopathy. I wondered about this also when I read about the 60% decline (in dementia) for people on AC's with afib diagnoses, since one of the possibilities included comorbidity (mini strokes by clots coming from other veins, etc, vs just the atrium?). Particularly interested myself is I'm getting past the blanking period.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 07:23PM by jpeters.
October 14, 2018 10:06PM
Hmm...don't know what happened to my last post..so here it is again...

Carrie - my question on blood pressure had to do with it being normal now that I'm on meds for it, so why would it be a factor, whether I still had Afib or not?

Regarding flow in the LA and LAA, I was told my latest TEE was good.

Peak Filling LA appendage velocity is 67.4 cm/sec
Peak Emptying LA appendage velocity is 41.4 cm/sec.
Blood Pressure pre TEE = 111/74
Blood Pressure post TEE = 104/61

Everything else was normal.

Does this look like someone who should have a high CHAD score? (female, age 65). Otherwise....?

Dr. DiBiase wants me to come back in 6 months to get rechecked...to help in making a decision as to whether I can get off of Eliquis.

Would getting a Watchman make that decision easier for the doctor(s) involved?

~ Barb
October 14, 2018 10:07PM
Carey

This comment stood out to me, because will it?

When you dissect this, it's not the hypertension that kills it's the underlying issue that causes the hypertension . Hypertension is just a symptom.

When is it "all on it's own?"

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
October 14, 2018 10:09PM
Carey

This comment stood out to me, because will it?

When you dissect this, it's not the hypertension that kills it's the underlying issue that causes the hypertension . Hypertension is a symptom, and controlling it may keep the underlying issue from literally blowing up, but does it ever show up all by itself?

When is it "all on it's own?"

lisa

October 15, 2018 12:20AM
jpeters
Curious why getting a Watchman would cure all atrial myopathy. I wondered about this also when I read about the 60% decline (in dementia) for people on AC's with afib diagnoses, since one of the possibilities included comorbidity (mini strokes by clots coming from other veins, etc, vs just the atrium?). Particularly interested myself is I'm getting past the blanking period.

Good question. I don't know why, but empirically Watchman devices have reduced stroke levels to the same as people who've never had had afib. Perhaps clots coming out of the LAA are more of an issue than medicine has realized?
October 15, 2018 01:57AM
Carey

Good question. I don't know why, but empirically Watchman devices have reduced stroke levels to the same as people who've never had had afib. Perhaps clots coming out of the LAA are more of an issue than medicine has realized?

Makes no sense to me that post ablation risk would suddenly be negated, particularly with high CHADS scores.
(and I'm adding dementia to my list of concerns)

re studies:
Just read an article in Scientific American, where a noted researcher at Amgen found that over 90% of studies in biomedicine couldn't be replicated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 02:18AM by jpeters.
October 15, 2018 03:03AM
Stating the obvious maybe, but given the current scientific consensus that fibrosis comprises an at least significant component of atrial myopathy then I’m struggling to see how a Watchman could reverse fibrosis.
October 15, 2018 04:56AM
Carey

So Carey Carrie...you say that high BP will kill you with or without Afib, but that wasn't the question. If you no longer have high BP because it is well controlled with meds...and you no longer have Afib (because you've had a Natale ablation), then why does BP still register on the CHADS score? And again, isn't this score for people who currently have Afib??

Nope. The minimum LAA velocity to stop anticoagulants is 45. You're close enough that they're asking you to come back in 6 months on the hope it might improve.

Yes.

Personally even at 45 I would be hesitant to go off the Eliquis. Or at that point would something like a daily aspirin be recommended? A 3.6 increase, unless maintained for a period of time seems a small amount to make such a decision.
October 15, 2018 05:03AM
Carey

I have had 2 friends this past year and a half that have had strokes. One is an avid cyclist (male) who has affib and was not on blood thinners at the time. The other a homemaker (female) with no known heart issues. Both of their stokes were caused by plaque that had broken away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login