Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A genetic link...

Posted by bolimasa 
A genetic link...
October 08, 2018 08:09PM
It doesn't appear that this effects the general AFib population much, but here's an interesting article about a concrete genetic link to AFib.
[attheu.utah.edu]
Re: A genetic link...
October 08, 2018 09:46PM
Oh, I think it's pretty typical. There's no question in my mind that afib has a genetic link. There are exceptions for things like hyperthyroidism, endurance athletes, alcoholism, major trauma, heart attacks, and so forth, but I think in the near future afib will be understood as an inherited condition and ultimately the cure will be based on gene therapy.
Joe
October 08, 2018 09:47PM
Great link, but is there more detailed info on KCNQ1? I'm interested as it shows up on the raw data for my 23&me.

I'll ask the Cardiologist/EP next week when i see him. Not much hope of getting far. Last time i asked more detailed questions about cause, Mg, Potassium etc. he just fobbed me off saying that he deals with treatments that are known to work.
He did mention Mg is given IV in ER for AF sufferers but it doesn't make any difference - it is quickly excreted via kidneys.
Well, he's probably right but if other synergistic nutrients were present perhaps the cells would absorb more Mg???
I wasn't going to push on as i sensed that my questions irritated him a little - and he is more approachable than the previous Cardiologist.
October 08, 2018 10:08PM
Dad? AF.

Mom? AF.

Me? AF.

The genetic theory has more traction than turf shoes.
October 09, 2018 01:34AM
wolfpack
Dad? AF.

Mom? AF.

Me? AF.

The genetic theory has more traction than turf shoes.

Same for me.
The difference is both my parents didn't know they were afibbers, because they were less symptomatic than me.
My mother was treated for high BP, my father for nothing. They both were discovered having afib after having suffered a stroke.
Athletes are far more aware of their HR than sedentary people, so when they have afib, they feel there's something wrong and they see their doctor.
October 09, 2018 03:23AM
My mum, both her sisters and their mum for me. Always on the cards for me I guess!
Joe
October 09, 2018 04:10AM
While we might carry the relevant KCNQ1 gene and perhaps others that predispose to AF i suspect epigenetics comes into it as well? The gene(s) needn't be activated?
E.g. the Apoe 4/4 carriers have a high chance of cognitive decline but can definitely avoid the problem using diet and life style mostly.
October 09, 2018 04:55AM
Joe
While we might carry the relevant KCNQ1 gene and perhaps others that predispose to AF i suspect epigenetics comes into it as well? The gene(s) needn't be activated? .
I'd say you're right.
It's likely I did it with exercise, despite my heart is normal (no enlargements and things like that being induced by chronic fitness).
Both my sisters are fine, which doesn't mean they don't have the bad gene, but it might not yet have been activated.
I had my first afib episode when I was 57. I don't believe my parents were afibbers before reaching their late sixties, but my mother had high BP.
My elder sister has high BP, she's 68. No afib to date.
October 10, 2018 01:12AM
FWIW,

I had my first episode when I was twenty. Not diagnosed until in my forties.

My mom wasn't diagnosed until her early 80s, Genetic link? Not always.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
October 14, 2018 02:09PM
Yeah, if agree with Carey and a few others - there's defo a genetic link.

From my POV my dad and his entire family all had heart issues, and although he never saw anybody about it, the consultant reports prior to his death seemed to suggest unreported episodes of Afib.

Not only that, but my sister has similar issues. Although, as far as I'm aware, she's never officially been diagnosed with afib. I think it was some sort of arrhythmia disorder she has.
Sam
October 14, 2018 03:22PM
No-one on my Fathers or my Mothers side had Afib. In fact only one. an uncle, suffered any kind of heart problem and he was a heavy smoker.

Sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login