Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blanking period blips

Posted by Dinodog 
Blanking period blips
October 05, 2018 03:58PM
Hello everyone-
I am 3 weeks and 2 days out from my second ablation. I was doing great for a couple of weeks but now things have been worse. Lots of ectopics and some afib I’m quite sure- and raised heart rate with the two. Comes and goes and no triggers. I am taking all supplements and not doing anything questionable. It’s now negatively affecting my mood as the palps always cause me depression and anxiety. I am premenstrual and this was absolutely an issue for me every month- I’m afraid that even with the ablation my hormones continue to win out. Any input or encouraging words is appreciated. I see the surgeon in a week and know about the blanking period freebies- but what about the fact that I’m getting more symptomatic not less? On 360 cardizem and eliquis- can’t take any rhythm drugs or beta blockers. Thanks so much everyone.
Re: Blanking period blips
October 05, 2018 05:18PM
Hi,
If I recall correctly you’ve had two ablations both by Natale protege DiBiase first Jan this year and second last month right?
Now 3 weeks and 2 days and you’ve run into some issues.
You already know I’m going to tell you don’t worry it’s almost certainly blanking period noise!
I had a run in with 20 hours of constant ectopics (but no AF or AFlutter) 3 weeks and.....you guessed it.....2 day’s after my (first) ablation at Bordeaux. Thankfully nothing more since other than a few ectopics here and there.
I personally think that the first 2 weeks after the ablation feel calm as the atria are just too swollen and/or stunned to get up to much mischief! Then as things ‘settle’ those blanking period issues can start to make themselves known! The hope for you, I and all folks getting ablations is that this blanking period noise settles down over the next few months - and from all my copious reading online of the experiences of others this usually seems to be the case. So hang in there gal!
October 05, 2018 05:20PM
Yup that’s me. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and have a nice weekend!
October 05, 2018 05:27PM
I understand your feelings of anxiety and depression. I think that is normal for many of us as we deal with the various symptoms and procedures we have. While the blips during the blanking period can be disturbing....and cause anxiety....they are very common for several months after an ablation during the "blanking period" in which the heart is healing. It can vary with each individual. I hope your symptoms will soon be a thing of the past and that your ablation proves to be successful. Staying in touch with your doctor is a good idea and can be reassuring. Best to you...
October 05, 2018 05:49PM
Hi Tracy - First, I agree with mwcf's comments... and I'd also suggest you evaluate the supplements you are taking by focusing mainly on the magnesium... as that's such a calming influence. Just to repeat again, stress depletes Mg big time and you've had your share...so I'd also be careful not to add much more than magnesium for the next several weeks until you start to feel less anxious. (Be especially cautious about getting too much potassium as that can sometimes bring on some palps if you are low in Mg.) Hormonal swings add to your overall stress and those also can lower magnesium.
If you can find some time just for you, consider taking a relaxing warm bath/soak in Epsom Salts.
You'll be amazed at how that can help.
I'll be holding good thoughts for you,
Be well,
Jackie
October 05, 2018 07:41PM
Nothing I can really add to what has already been said. I've been on a rollercoaster myself since my 3rd ablation in July with Natale. However, the past three weeks I have seen great improvement like turing off a light switch. Hang in there, its still early on for you.
October 05, 2018 08:09PM
The blanking period is a road full of bumps and potholes. What you're experiencing is to be expected. The fact that it comes and goes is what counts. You're good. :-)
October 05, 2018 09:24PM
Thanks so much everyone- I’m so thankful to have much such a caring and educated group of people.
Jackie- I am doing magnesium and taurine- do you think the taurine is ok at this point?
Tracy
October 06, 2018 12:52AM
Yeah, taurine is fine. Just don't take buckets of the stuff.
October 06, 2018 08:57AM
Tracy - yes - definitely taurine can help. How much are you currently using?

Have you read the previous reports here on Taurine?
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Note this clip
Irregular Heart Rhythm May Be A Sign of Taurine Defificiency
Taurine helps promote a stable heart rhythm. Taurine should be thought of whenever cardiac arrhythmias are present, because they may be caused by a lack of taurine. Magnesium and potassium are also excellent heart supporting nutrients that should be considered for patients with arrhythmias. Nutritional support for arrhythmias and other heart ailments should be done with medical supervision. (Tech data sheet on the Taurine product by Designs for Health)...

Jackie
October 06, 2018 02:58PM
You can get Taurine from food:

Taurine is an amino acid that can be made in your body from two other amino acids: cysteine and methionine.

Adequate amounts of taurine can usually be obtained from animal and fish protein, eggs and brewer's yeast (NOTE: if you have a viral or fungal infection, eating brewer's yeast can cause allergic reactions
October 07, 2018 12:47PM
I hear you about the anxiety.... I had my ablation on the tenth...and have actually felt much better... And I'm still having anxiety. My only worry is that i could be having flutter.... When I boot up my (prescribed) monitor I can see a trace for a few seconds and the baseline often looks jagged. Hopefully it's just an artifact. When I use my hand held monitor, I'm always in rhythm (yeah!!!!!), but my baseline seems a little blippy. Again, hoping that's just artifact or normal after abalation.
October 07, 2018 03:00PM
Bolimasa, is the baseline a bit blippy/jagged mainly on V1?
October 08, 2018 08:05PM
mwcf
Bolimasa, is the baseline a bit blippy/jagged mainly on V1?
I only see one thing... The trace you get with a hand help monitor. (Mind is an Emay) I don't know exactly what that corresponds to on a 12 lead.
October 08, 2018 09:57PM
No consumer device I'm aware of records lead V1.
October 08, 2018 10:25PM
Noisy baseline is really common with the handheld devices. The electrical contact is just nowhere near as good as the “stickies” that the professional devices use.
October 09, 2018 01:18AM
Some consumer devices, like the one I own, come with lead wires too. Tracings are better this way. It's possible getting lead I, II, III tracings. When sticking electrodes accordingly, one can get some kind of V1 tracing.
October 09, 2018 10:26AM
Well, sure. If you can place at least two electrodes wherever you want then you can get any of the leads. What is this device you own?
October 09, 2018 10:52AM
I've bought the HealForce Prince device. Came with three lead wires, and it's dirt cheap. There's a good software too, but it's PC only. I don't know if it works now with Windows 10, but when I got it last year, it wasn't the case.
When I use the wires instead of the hand electrodes, I'm used to stick 4 electrodes (one under each clavicle, one on the left bottom of my ribcage, the fourth one on the V1 location) and let them in place for a couple of days.
While in bed, I keep the wires for lead II, but in the day, I often connect them to get a V1 tracing. P waves are as clearly displayed as with lead II, but the three wires are up on my torso. It's discrete, the device is in my pocket. Would I opt for lead II, the lower wire would be annoying, with the risk for it to be caught somewhere while moving around...
October 09, 2018 01:37PM
What is the significance of V1 anyway?

My personal monitor is an Emay, which I hold between my 2 palms. I still use it sporadically out of curiosity, happy to read the "No Abnormal"!!

The monitor I have from my doc is a Body Guard Heart through Preventice services.
It has 2 electrode patches that stick to your left chest, and an electronic module that connects the 2 electrodes. It transmits to a phone which relays info to Preventice, who sends reports to the doctors office. Unfortunatey I don't get the info unless I hear from the doc. Which I haven't so I guess that is good.
If you pay attention to phone screen when you change out modules you can see a brief trace (5 seconds, maybe) run across the phone screen. Sometimes the baseline on this trace looks really jagged. I'm hoping that it's just artifact, and not flutter.
My emay trace seems to have it's share of extra little blips, especially between the R and T wave... I'm also hoping this is nothing to be concerned about.

I'm certainly feeling much, much better, so I'm really hoping there's nothing weird that will keep on the blood thinners after December. I have to admit to still having anxiety about the whole biz though.
October 09, 2018 02:04PM
bolimasa
What is the significance of V1 anyway?

V1 is the closest lead to the right atrium so activity there will have the strongest signal in that lead. If you're looking for something like flutter, V1 is where you look first.
October 09, 2018 03:00PM
Bolimasa, have you only tried recording your HR with your Emay between your palms ? I think it should be possible to get a lead II tracing while holding the device between your right hand and your ribcage, left side.
October 09, 2018 03:42PM
I've not even pulled out my monitor for a few days...I'll have to try the rib cage thing tonight.

On a bright note.. I just, tada, went running (er, OK jogging, I'm a pudgy slow old gal).
My first run since May, and I didn't feel too bad. Now to just make myself keep it up...
October 09, 2018 11:14PM
I use the HealForce Prince device on Windows 10 and it works fine to print traces. The PC is not needed to record and view traces. I use the device without the leads and place on my chest, under my heart for best results. Shows nice traces.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login