Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Other end of the spectrum

Posted by tsco 
Other end of the spectrum
October 03, 2018 10:48PM
As many of you I grew weary thru the years of those times my heart would take off racing. Ironically now im having another bout with some bradycardia . Not sure of the true issue yet. I stopped all of my medications this past March. Evidently to this point my last ablation with Natale for afib is holding reasonably well.to date. I do have aggravating ectopics. My history started 20 yrs ago with stubborn SVT progressing to Afib. I'm 57 now. My last ablation chalked up #6 for me. 4 on right side 2 on left.
My Brady episodes are undoubtedly a result from some burning close to my sinus node (ablation 3) I recall my Ep telling me in a rather scared manner that I may need a pacemaker after that ablation. That was 15 yrs ago. I'm guessing thru scarring and just the passage of time maybe my node has weakened??
My symptoms that I experienced earlier this year and again now include light headed, dizzy, shortness of breath, heaviness in chest , HR of 47-65. I have an appt with Ep in November, gues I'll make it to then. Just ironic to remember those too fast days and now feel funny from too slow.
Thinking a pacer is in my future. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Tim
Re: Other end of the spectrum
October 04, 2018 12:25AM
Sorry you're going through this, but it does kind of sound like a pacer might be in your future. But that's the least of the bad things that could happen to you. A pacemaker beats hell out of feeling like crap with bradycardia or feeling like crap with tachycardia. I think you'll end up feeling a hell of a lot better than you do now.
October 04, 2018 12:28AM
So sorry you are having to deal with this. Hopfully things will get straightened out for you soon.
October 04, 2018 03:40AM
I'm with Carey that a PM might well be in your future and there are a helluva lot worse things that can happen than that. Easy for me to say maybe, but I know quite a few folks - including our age i.e. mid-50s and younger - who have them and are way better for it, and I don't think I'd be overly worried about it if it transpires that I end up needing one myself at some point

The only thing I'm wondering here for you is that 47-65 doesn't sound all that slow to me. I've just got up (8am-ish here), made a coffee and looked in here and my HR is 57 as I type. Mine has been as low as 38 on Holter (20 years ago) whilst sleeping and is often high 40s when reading in bed over recent years. But then again I'm a tall fairly fit bloke although not an endurance athlete of any sort! OK so 47 to 65 would be plumb normal for me is what I'm saying and anecdotally it would be/is for many here. Was your previous resting HR after your last Natale ablation always more like up in the 70s and/or 80s? What was your resting HR before you embarked upon your series of ablations?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 11:08AM by mwcf.
October 04, 2018 10:37AM
Hi Tim - I'm sorry to read your latest but it does make sense. I've known several afibbers who've eventually required a PM and were very pleased with how well they felt, overall.... so I'm wishing the same outcome for you. You have many, many good years ahead so get it done so you can begin enjoying them. Keep us posted.

Best to you.
Jackie
October 04, 2018 01:19PM
tsco
My symptoms that I experienced earlier this year and again now include light headed, dizzy, shortness of breath, heaviness in chest , HR of 47-65
Tim

Hi TIm,

I'm with Mike in that 47-65 is very normal for me. I'm wondering if your symptoms may have another cause than 47-65 HR?

George
October 04, 2018 02:43PM
I have a pacemaker.....result of having bradycardia while requiring medicine for A-Fib. I agree that a pacemaker is not such a bad thing. I only regret that my pacemaker does not allow me to have an MRI...so I am limited to CT scans. However, now there are pacemakers that are compatible with MRIs. One good thing about having the pacemaker is that there is a constant recording of what is "going on" with your heart....which can be determined when you have a device check....or when you have an occasion or episode when that information is important. Of course, after a period of years, a new battery is necessary so there will be a procedure for that. If you do not believe that your symptoms are the result of the slow heartbeat, then you might seek a second opinion before making a decision about the pacemaker. I've had 3 ablations and have been in NSR since...and that was 4 years ago. Since you are having symptoms that are affecting you, perhaps the pacemaker would prove to be of benefit for you.
Best wishes...
October 04, 2018 08:21PM
I'm hoping that's the case. Thank you Carey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 08:21PM by tsco.
October 04, 2018 08:26PM
George / mcwf, yes my normal rate was around 75 resting. I read 50s-60 is common for some people but I can feel it. I kind of wonder if I am beating from another area ?? Sometimes it feels unsteady

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 08:27PM by tsco.
October 05, 2018 05:34AM
Thank you justmetoo. I guess it's the initial fear of getting a pacemaker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login