Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High Troponin After Ablation

Posted by Sam 
Sam
High Troponin After Ablation
October 01, 2018 03:44PM
It's now 15 weeks since my Ablation in Bordeaux. I've been on NSR since with hardly any PACs.

I have been suffering some pain and discomfort in the chest region since that time especially when I walk more that few hundred yards but I can do lightish weight training without any problems.

10 weeks ago I went to A&E and had an ECG, chest x/ray and a range of blood tests. At that time my Troponin level was 14. The cardiologist was happy with the results but referred me for an Echocardiogram. I had this 6 weeks ago and it showed no problems.

I saw my GP today who did an ECG, which he described as 'perfect'. I also had blood taken for a series of tests the results of which I will have in 2 days but he said if anything serious was found I would get a phone call tonight.

Well - I've just had a call telling me that my Troponin level is now 21 and recommending a trip to A&E while acknowledging that 21 was not a particularly serious figure.

I asked the Doctor who called me what would be done in A&E and she said they would do an ECG and take more bloods. Since any discomfort is rare during the night I'm going to wait and see my GP again in the morning and have another blood test done (no point in another ECG).

I had this discomfort/pain about 2 years ago and it resolved when I had my Thoracic vertebrae and Costovertebral joints mobilized and I'm already having this done.

Any comments from anyone with a knowledge/experience of this problem much appreciated.

Sam
Re: High Troponin After Ablation
October 01, 2018 04:19PM
Sam,

Have you been doing heavy exercise? Our doc says he notes elevated troponin levels in heavy exercisers at times. I know there are data about elevated troponin levels for marathoners at the end of a race, too.

FWIW, some examples our doc gave weren't that heavy in my book, but I can't give any specifics. I haven't read any of the links that came up in this search, but may provide more info <[www.google.com]

George
Sam
October 02, 2018 02:21AM
Thanks for that, George. No. No heavy exercise. Light weights with absolutely no straining. Also no running or even fast walking. Just walking short distances at a leisurely pace.

Sam
October 02, 2018 06:55AM
Have you asked the Bordeaux folks to comment?

I could envision ablutions impacting troponin.
October 02, 2018 07:15AM
Lots of papers confirming that AF ablations do substantially (beyond MI territory) elevate T levels, but the studies only talk in terms of 4 hours or a day after rather than 15 weeks. Plus I'd expect T levels to fall rather than go from 14 to 21 so long after the ablation. Some caution warranted IMHO. And yes talk to Bordeaux about it, but at the same time remembering that Prof Jais is an extremely busy chap and I would imagine he'd be thinking Sam's local folks should be more than able to check as required.
Sam
October 02, 2018 07:41AM
Thanks for the replies. I've already emailed Prop Jais. I'm afraid you're overestimating my local folks. Knowledge of Afib/Ablation is very limited here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login