Advanced

Cholesterol

Posted by Catherine 
Cholesterol
September 25, 2018 05:57PM
Any connection to AF?
Re: Cholesterol
September 25, 2018 06:29PM
There's no direct connection known but high cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease so it could perhaps help establish the conditions where it will appear. It's also a risk factor for stroke, which isn't what you want with afib.
September 26, 2018 12:24AM
That depends on the particle size of LDL, small particles are the problem but the big fluffy stuff is good.
This link will explain it better
[www.docsopinion.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2018 06:39PM by colindo.
September 26, 2018 03:27AM
I definitely read somewhere the other evening that high cholesterol reduces stroke risk! I'll have to try and find said article/s and post.
September 27, 2018 07:05AM
One must decide for themselves what is considered "High" cholesterol. Ive always run 225-260 and consider it healthy. My wife runs 300 plus like most of her family and they have no heart issues with excellent longevity. I dont buy the under 200 level for optimum heart health. As for triggering afib, I see no direct correlation.
September 27, 2018 07:55AM
Thanks Colindo - definitely, it's the small particles that are the concern... otherwise cholesterol is not the enemy.
The body needs cholesterol for healthy function...esp. the brain.

Jackie
September 28, 2018 04:31PM
mwcf
I definitely read somewhere the other evening that high cholesterol reduces stroke risk! I'll have to try and find said article/s and post.

I can’t put my finger on the link, but I know there was a fairly large and long study regarding stroke and cholesterol out of Japan.

Here's one study LINK Sorry, looks liek you might have to register to view it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 05:28PM by beardman.
September 28, 2018 05:16PM
Is this what we are looking for
[www.drbriffa.com]
September 29, 2018 05:54AM
colindo
[www.drbriffa.com]

Thanks Colindo - glad to see that there’s a definite upside to high cholesterol! It’s not a marker I’ve ever been overly concerned about so long as HDL is a good proportion of the overall figure.
September 29, 2018 06:52PM
colindo
[www.drbriffa.com]

Interesting article, but the Japanese eat a decidedly different diet than most westerners so I have to wonder how much of the results are due to the specific study population. It's food for thought (ha ha), but definitely not much more than that. The waters are still too muddy on cholesterol, statins, heart disease, etc.

What I found more interesting was the suggestion of an afib/cholesterol connection. For example, this is rather old and not a particularly powerful study, but still interesting
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002914903012682
September 30, 2018 06:51AM
One thing that's not so muddy is that the majority of heart attacks are from people with normal cholesterol levels. Meaning cholesterol isn't to blame.
More likely statins are, indirectly clogging up the arteries with calcium. Depleting CoQ10, inhibiting vitium k2 from doing it's job. Plus all the other side effects.

[www1.cbn.com]
September 30, 2018 10:36AM
Thank you, Colin, for the comments on the risks of taking statins.

There is a lot of evidence (from well-known researchers) that cholesterol is not the enemy... but rather, the other issues such as you mention... calcifications, and the inflammation damage that typically isn't monitored or controlled. Included in statin risks is the fact that the brain needs cholesterol and those who have levels too low are often affected with dementia.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login