Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rapid Ventricular Response

Posted by Erin 
Rapid Ventricular Response
September 25, 2018 04:38PM
Another question. I got copy of ekg to take to my "real" doctor on Thursday., The sub doctor said I needed blood thinner and gave me 10'minutes and no information., ER report says I have this rapid vent.response. From what I read this is worse than regular. If your pulse is irregular and around 100, that is the less serious afib? Then it says on internet you need to get to hospital immediately i was told give it 30 minutes. Sure is confusing.. my pulse gets crazy fast ......thanks for any input. Sounds like I don't have much of a choice on blood thinner.
Re: Rapid Ventricular Response
September 25, 2018 05:11PM
You are obviously very symptomatic when you have an a-fib episode with the rapid ventricular response.. I had the same problem. Some people do not experience the rapid heart beat...but a person can STILL be at risk for stroke without this. Just because your pulse is not fast does not mean you are safe from stroke.
Those of us who do have a rapid ventricular response usually know when we are in a-fib. Are you taking any kind of rate control medicine for when this happens? If that doesn't work,,a trip to the ER can be necessary....especially if the rate is extremely fast. I usually went to the ER when my rate was 140 or more and stayed that way. Fortunately, after 3 ablations, I am now in normal sinus rhythm and have been for a long time. I still take a blood thinner (Eliquis) and will continue to do so in case the a-fib returns.....which at some point in time is quite possible. Only my opinion from your post, but I believe you should be taking an anticoagulant. Please talk to your electrophysiologist more about this so that you an get the best medicine and/or procedure for your individual case.
Best of luck!
September 25, 2018 06:19PM
Erin
ER report says I have this rapid vent.response. From what I read this is worse than regular. If your pulse is irregular and around 100, that is the less serious afib? Then it says on internet you need to get to hospital immediately i was told give it 30 minutes.

None of this is correct. Whoever said you have to get to the hospital immediately has no idea what they're talking about.

The only thing more serious about a rapid rate is it's usually more uncomfortable. The only time afib demands a hospital is if your rate is over 200, or you have chest pain, shortness of breath, or fainting along with it. If none of that is true, then I recommend just making yourself comfortable, taking your rate control meds, and waiting it out.

My afib typically ran around 170-190. I never went to an ER for that. Was it uncomfortable? Sure, but what's an ER going to do for me? It's not dangerously fast and I never experienced fainting or shortness of breath, so it's unlikely they would cardiovert me. I know perfectly well what they would do. They'd put me on a diltiazem drip, let me lay there for six hours until I converted, and then send me home with a $2000 bill. You know what? For about $1999 less, I could take a metoprolol, make myself as comfortable as possible and just stay home. It would convert in the same amount of time because -- news flash -- diltiazem doesn't stop afib. It just slows the rate so you're more comfortable. Metoprolol does the same thing and an EP will gladly prescribe it for you.

And yes, you need to be on an anticoagulant. You're worrying about all t3he wrong things. Not being on an anticoagulant should be your first and only worry at this point because a stroke is the only danger afib presents to you.
September 25, 2018 06:40PM
Just Me Too and Carey, thanks so much for replying. I will be taking an anyicoagulant. Justbthese few days on this forum and I have learned so much. I would rather worry about being on blood thinner than worrying about a stroke.
September 25, 2018 07:39PM
Erin
I would rather worry about being on blood thinner than worrying about a stroke.

Absolutely the right priority. Your chances of a stroke are much higher than your chances of a bleed from an anticoagulant, and your chances of dying or being severely disabled by a stroke are MUCH, MUCH higher than the same from a bleed. Remember, anticoagulants don't cause you to bleed. They only prolong bleeding caused by other things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login