Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skipped Beats at night can Protonix for stomach be factor

Posted by SteveDaley 
Skipped Beats at night can Protonix for stomach be factor
September 25, 2018 11:47AM
I am a 72 year old male--good health-exercise regularly-I have a 50 plus year history of irregular heartbeats starting with PAT as a teenager and then paroxysmal Afib-episodes from 21. Also have dealt with skipped beats(PAC'S) periodically. Had an ablation for the afib 6 years ago--ended up ablating avnrt as well as PVI. Overall it was successful-have had just 2 episodes in the past 6 years. I was left with bothersome skipped beats which I used to take toprol for but it lost its effectiveness and was switched to Dilantipem(sp) which did the trick for 4 years--also on flecainide- about 2 years ago the skipped beats have come back-on and off--usually able to stop with small dose of toprol. My problem is that for the past 3 weeks or so I have had occasions where I wake up after several hours of sleep and start with the "Skips" and they are very bothersome-eventually they stop after a dose of toprol but it this is different than i ever experienced in the past--The only thing I have been doing differently has been that I have been on Protonix for stomach acid--seems to have correlated with the skipped beats. My Question is has anyone had experience with this and could there be a correlation with the onset of my nighttime skipped beats and the Protonix---Thank You
Re: Skipped Beats at night can Protonix for stomach be factor
September 25, 2018 12:54PM
Hi Steve... Yes, definitely... the Protonix and similar can help deplete magnesium.
Here's a website from Suzy Cohen, RPh... registered pharmacist ...who has a large website that gives healthy options for many drugs and also lists various drug interferences and side effects.

At this one, she lists 14 Drugs that Deplete Magnesium
[www.jigsawhealth.com]

Are you supplementing with Mg on a regular basis? If not, you probably need to do that.... but most importantly... try to figure out why you need the acid blocker in the first place.... what has your doctor said about your case?

Best to you,
Jackie
September 25, 2018 04:14PM
Jackie
Hi Steve... Yes, definitely... the Protonix and similar can help deplete magnesium.
Here's a website from Suzy Cohen, RPh... registered pharmacist ...who has a large website that gives healthy options for many drugs and also lists various drug interferences and side effects.

At this one, she lists 14 Drugs that Deplete Magnesium
[www.jigsawhealth.com]

Are you supplementing with Mg on a regular basis? If not, you probably need to do that.... but most importantly... try to figure out why you need the acid blocker in the first place.... what has your doctor said about your case?

Best to you,
Jackie

Question; Many Cardiologist, EP etc. say a 81 mg aspirin benefits outways the negative even Dr. Natale. Dr. Natale wanted me to take a 325 mg aspirin along with Eliquis because I have a Stent. How do you answer this and I respect your opinion. I also take Prevacid and it’s never caused me a issue but I need it for a irritated gut. It also heals a irritated stomach liner.

What do you suggest to replace this with? I am talking about the 81 mg aspirin once a day and Prevacid for a irritated stomach liner caused by acidic medication and food. Alkaline based foods medication can cause the same issue.
September 26, 2018 09:27AM
Hi Smackman - You must follow your EPs directives since you are under his care. If the Prevacid does not cause a problem for you, then that's good and you can continue without having to find an alternative. For some, though, it does cause problems because the underlying core causes of the digestive ailments have not been identified.

Here's the thing... potentially, aspirin - because it is an acidic compound, can cause stomach acidity/irritability issues in some individuals. It becomes a Catch 22. Did you have the irritated stomach before you began taking the aspirin or was it already present from another medication?

In any event, for you... if the Prevacid works and since you are required to take aspirin, that's what you have to do.

Just be aware that the body does need the protective properties of the stomach acid which acts to protect against infection, breaks down food particles so the body can absorb the nutrients and as the article mentions... minerals we need... ie, magnesium, etc.

In a list of over 30 harms from lack of stomach acid and adverse effects here are some of the well-known.....

Clostridium Infections
Diarrhea
Pneumonia
Vitamin C Deficiency
Gastric Cancer
Bone Fractures
Magnesium Deficiency
Myopathies
Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Not trying to scare you, just pointing out that stomach acid does have an important, protective property in the body.

It's also known that just the simple act of plenty of drinking water helps dilute the acidic pH significantly to lower the risk factors from an overly acidic stomach. As a natural remedy, Ginger has numerous studies showing benefit to help reduce gastric problems.

Jackie
September 26, 2018 10:58AM
It’s seems to be a heriditary problem with Acid Reflux and the stomach liner irritation. I have had this stomach liner irritation since starting with Pradaxa in Dec.2011 and a baby aspirin since Feb. 2012. Pradaxa for AFIB. Baby aspirin for stent after Plavix regiment.

Anyone who takes Pradaxa must understand it is very acidic. If it gets stuck in your esophagus, It can burn a hole in it. Google it. I dry swallowed Pradaxa one time and I experienced burning in my esophagus for days afterwards because it got stuck for a few minutes before I got some water to get it on down. Stupid moment in my 60 year life.

My point is something has to be taken to heal stomach And or esophagus scarring and irritation.
September 26, 2018 09:16PM
If Pradaxa can burn a hole in your esophagus what is it doing to the rest of your body?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login