Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New on Here

Posted by Erin 
New on Here
September 23, 2018 12:27PM
I have most likely had afib for four years. I am now 68. I had every heart test possible and both treadmills. I tried to tell them pulse was crazy fast --nearly 300 and insanely irregular. But since I did not go to er and get tests done all they could say was probably harmless supraventricular thing. I went to er on last episode and was diagnosed then with afib. I rarely have bad episodes. Maybe once a year nearly always brought on by mental stress. I have no other risk factors other than I am female and over 65. Substitute doctor immediately says scale indicates I'm a 2 and need to go on blood thinner--starts with Eliquis. Im still waiting to see regular cardiologist, but so far have not started on blood thinner. I am terrified of starting it because as a child I had blood clotting issues. I know that was a long time ago but still they never really found out what caused the issues. Has anyone on here chosen to not take the thinners? I have read the one thread on here which is very similar to mine. I just can't see a 2 being that much worse than a 1 where they would not prescribe the thinners. Thanks ahead for any input.
Re: New on Here
September 23, 2018 03:46PM
Erin
I am terrified of starting it because as a child I had blood clotting issues.

Do you mean you took a very long time to stop bleeding?
Joe
September 23, 2018 06:08PM
Another important variable is, how long do your episodes last? My guess is that anything over a few hours becomes very risky for clot formation?
September 23, 2018 09:39PM
Unfortunately, the episodes last several hours. I have had some that are here and gone that quick, but the big ones are pretty long.
September 23, 2018 09:40PM
I was scheduled for tonsils out and they wouldn't do it because blood wouldn't clot. Thats not bleeding, I know, but they were afraid of surgery.
September 23, 2018 09:43PM
I have a feeling my main doctor is going to agree with the sub doctor and tell me to go on thinners.
September 23, 2018 11:26PM
Erin
I was scheduled for tonsils out and they wouldn't do it because blood wouldn't clot. Thats not bleeding, I know, but they were afraid of surgery.

as in hemophilia ?
September 24, 2018 05:08PM
I don't think they ever diagnosed it. Since then I have had cancer surgery (endometrial) and there was no problem. So it may have been due to some medicine I was given.
September 25, 2018 08:49AM
Erin
I don't think they ever diagnosed it. Since then I have had cancer surgery (endometrial) and there was no problem. So it may have been due to some medicine I was given.

I would certainly ask the docs to sort this out, whether you have a bleeding disorder, before going on anticoagulation. I'm not sure what testing can be done.
September 25, 2018 04:14PM
I'd say it's safe to say that if you underwent endometrial cancer surgery without special precautions that you don't have a bleeding disorder. Whatever happened as a kid must have been a short-term thing, perhaps induced by meds you were taking at the time, as you suggested.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login