Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Episodes increasing

Posted by Carolyn23 
Episodes increasing
September 23, 2018 10:06AM
This is my first time on this sight and my first post. I am relatively healthy 80 year old woman and now this ,
I was first diagnosed with afib about 4 years ago. I had combined cold medication which seemed to kick it off. Afterward I had maybe 1 or 2 episodes. Recently, 2018, I have been getting them more frequently. Last month, August, I had 3 episodes that lasted about 2of hours. Than leaving me feeling weak & tired. This month, September, I have already had 3. It starts in my throat. Almost feels like I’m having an allergic reaction, throat closing up. Anyone have this sensation? Then fast heart rate. Has not gotten over 200. I take Metoprolol for high blood pressure, Eliquis. I also take Levothyroxine as I had my thyroid removed about 5 years ago.dont know if there is any connection.
Can’t figure out what triggers episodes. Happens out of the blue. I also have been waking up some nights really sweating and I’m way passed menopause & hot flashes. Any connection? Was told to drink a lot of water. Also eating ice pops.helps my throat and doing yoga, deep breathing to relax.
Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated. Most times it happens when I’m home but twice I was out in public Thankfully my husband was with me as I probably could not have driven myself home. That was scary. Thanks for any advice . Glad I found this sight.
Re: Episodes increasing
September 23, 2018 04:53PM
Hello Carolyn - Glad, also, that you found this website and welcome... but sorry it was necessary.

I have several comments on what might lie behind your more frequent afib events, but I'll start by asking just this one..
that has to do with your thyroid medication:

I presume you see an endocrinologist at least once a year? You might want to have a consult and conversation about your increasing symptoms and have the tests that evaluate the amount of the thyroid meds you've been taking in case that dose level underlies the heart arrhythmia onset and increase.

A lot changes in one's body requirements and utilization go on as we enter the 8th decade so it could be something as 'simple' as cutting back on the thyroid med dose.

Best to you,
Jackie
September 23, 2018 06:49PM
I agree with Jackie about visiting your endocrinologist. Thyroid issues are a common source of afib.
September 24, 2018 07:21AM
Jackie,
Thanks so much for replying back to me. I will certainly follow your advice.
Carolyn
September 24, 2018 07:28AM
Carey,,
Thanks for the advice. I will call today to get checked. Hopefully it will be as simple as adjusting meds.
Carolyn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login