Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More post-ablation 'rumblings'

Posted by mwcf 
More post-ablation 'rumblings'
September 22, 2018 07:00AM
Hi all,

Ablation at Bordeaux by Prof Jais 20/08.

As posted here previously, a week ago - 3 1/2 weeks post ablation - I had a 20 hour episode of atrial ectopics (runs and bigeminy) that kicked off in the middle of the afternoon and lasted until the middle of the following day.

Then this last Monday mid-afternoon I felt some thumping bigeminy start up that thankfully only lasted for a few seconds.

Last night (now 4 1/2 weeks post ablation) I awoke at 5am (my classic pre-ablation AF time) with faster but regular HR of 85 BPM and not feeling quite right. Turned onto my left side and WHAM runs of ectopics, so quickly turned back onto right side and back into regular albeit quickish beat. Got up to get a drink of water no change. Having got back into bed, over next 20 minutes or so things settled back down to my normal resting HR of around 60 BPM. (I had been dreaming quite vividly and have noticed this awaking with a faster HR in the past.)

Very much hoping all of the above is blanking period noise.... Any and all reassurance from those who've experienced similarly and gone onto have things settle down more or less completely after a few months would be most welcome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 06:03PM by mwcf.
Re: More post-ablation 'rumblings'
September 22, 2018 09:03AM
I can offer support and well wishes but have never experienced anything as you are right now. As you know I have been expereinceing some issues as well and having similar hopes.
September 22, 2018 09:26AM
I’d call it noise. You can certainly call Bordeaux and let them know. They may give you a low dose AAR for the next couple of months to smooth things out.
September 22, 2018 12:54PM
Hi Mike - I'm sorry to read that you are bothered with this, but it's not all that rare or uncommon during the time the tissue is still irritated from the burns and trying to heal. I presume you are keeping up with your electrolyte supplements; and sometimes, it's helpful to increase your magnesium dosing - if at all possible - since that's very calming. Remember that the more stressed you are, the more Mg is depleted so can be an ongoing reactionary cycle.

I recall hearing an EP talk about symptoms during the blanking period and he said to visualize the burns inside your heart... as if they were on the open palm of your hand... and then flex and squeeze it as often and continually as your heart beats.... 24/7 non-stop. It would be painful and while that's hardly a comparable example, it does serve to illustrate that your heart has sustained a major irritation and your body knows it.... even your subsconscious. It all takes time.

Definitely check in with Bordeaux so they are aware.

I'm thinking good, positive thoughts for you Mike.

Kind regards,
Jackie
September 22, 2018 03:29PM
Hi Mike,

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Cheers,

George
September 22, 2018 05:55PM
Hang in there. It is still early and remember that it is a process of ups and downs. As has been said before, try to keep your anxiety under control and go for a walk. That has helped me. I have recently gone back on a very low dose of a beta blocker. That really quieted things down for me with regards to ectopic and a thumping heart. It has also made me more peaceful. I hope to get off of them again once my heart has chilled. But, again, you are only three weeks out and you are doing great!
September 22, 2018 06:06PM
Thanks MissSunshine (-: anxiety for sure is a big issue for me and needs work!

Cheers,

Mike
September 22, 2018 07:07PM
What you describe sounds like a perfectly normal blanking period. Bumps in the road are to be expected. The fact that all those PACs didn't turn into afib is the positive sign you're looking for. The ablation is doing it's job.
September 22, 2018 10:42PM
Sending you support as well, Mike. I've had some similar experiences, but it got less and less. I'm about 4 months out and it's been pretty quiet as of late. I'm betting you will quiet down too.
September 23, 2018 03:27AM
I'd second MissSunshine for a low dose of betablocker. I've noticed it tends to keep things quieter. I take this low dose in the evening, and it gives me better sleep without disabling me too much in the day. As I've still some unsustained afib from time to time, the betablocker is welcome in case I decide taking my PIP flecainide.
September 23, 2018 04:01AM
Thanks Carey, Libby and Pompon - much appreciated. I’ve contemplated using a low dose BB Pompon (and MissSunshine), but my AF was always vagal and my resting HR always quite slow already - 50-ish pre-ablation and mid-to-high 50s now post-ablation. That said, I may try a low dose BB at bedtime on the basis that my overall ‘arrhythmic potential landscape’ is now quite a bit different post-ablation than it was pre-ablation. Maybe in the short term the BB might just do more good than harm.
Cheers,
Mike
September 23, 2018 11:58AM
Mike,

Are you on any flec? If not, I wonder if a modest dose of flec might be useful??

Cheers,

George
September 23, 2018 01:58PM
GeorgeN
Mike,

Are you on any flec? If not, I wonder if a modest dose of flec might be useful??

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

Prof Jais always keeps paroxysmal AFrs on AARs for the 3 month blanking period, so I’m still on 100mg Flecainide BID.

Cheers,

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login