Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

That pre-afib feeling - 14 months after ablation?

Posted by DavrosT 
That pre-afib feeling - 14 months after ablation?
September 20, 2018 03:40AM
I noticed somebody started a thread a couple of weeks ago about that 'pre-afib' feeling you get. Almost like your body/heart's letting you know it's coming. Well, having woken up feeling exhausted this morning, I think that's definitely what I was experiencing yesterday/last night.

Had an ablation last June, 1 ep of afib a week after but nothing since (touch wood) but I have had a few of these 'pre-afib' sensations or feelings in recent months. I know most of you have probably experienced it, or still do but it's a weird feel of premonition. For me, it's like a sense of impending doom. Like an early warning signal.

This started yesterday lunchtime, I had a few ectopics but nothing out of the ordinary. Then just had this weird feeling all through to the evening. Then, whilst lying in bed it just seemed like my heart was ready to jump. Apart from a few PACs nothing actually happened other than myself feeling stressed and panicky about it but I've woken this morning tired, groggy and with 2 arms that are feeling a little bit shaky.

As a bit of background I'm currently off work, undergoing investigation for some pretty bad breathing issues I've been having. Was training for 5k a couple of months ago, but I now am struggling to climb a single flight of stairs. I'm 37, have lost 2 stone since last year and am about the healthiest I've been since I was in my 20s.

Had an echo on Saturday and only thing of note as far as the cardiologist was concerned was calcified annulus and trivial MR in mitral valve. I'm awaiting a date for a CT as the cardio suggested checking on the scarring from the ablation, as there could be some narrowing due to how I've healed. Also had chest x-ray and spirometry which showed nothing problematic about my lungs. Also, I'm seeing a GP who believes I have autoimmune symptoms and thyroid probs.

I'm having stomach issues at present too, namely a sort of silent reflux. Getting a lot of wind and tightness in my throat which is exacerbating the breathing probs. So I guess it's no surprise thay I've also woken this morning with really bad wind and stomach discomfort. The stomach issues have also worsened considerably in the last few months.

I guess I'm just curious as to what you guys think could've been the culprit last night, to cause this pre-afib feeling of doom I was having. I'm tempted to believe my stomach and the wind being unsettled have irritated my heart somehow but just don't know. Any thoughts guys? Should point out what I take at the moment too - ramipril for high BP, esomeprazole, levothyroxine, vit D, folate, 2000mg taurine and l-arginine, 200mg potassium and the occasional 250mg magnesium. The supplements had been trial and error but I'd settled on this above.
Re: That pre-afib feeling - 14 months after ablation?
September 20, 2018 06:56AM
I should not be of great help, but I'd say that for me, afib is always coupled with stomach discomfort, without knowing which is the culprit, the egg or the chicken.
As I'm mainly a vagal type afibber, I believe that anything affecting vagal tone may be involved in conditions favouring an afib episode to start.
The vagus nerve is long, so throat, lungs, heart, diaphragm and the whole digestive system may have something to do with ectopics and afib.
Among the drugs you mention, I'd try, if possible, to get rid of the PPI. It's not easy, especially if you're taking it for a long time, but I myself consider it being a poison.
September 20, 2018 07:25AM
To be honest, there is - in my own experience - a very real connection between my stomach and my heart. I guess that would make me a vagal afibber too. Although, I do have other 'triggers' I'd say that the vagus nerve has a huge role in most of them.

I was genuinely just waiting for the afib to kick in last night, such was that 'impending doom' sensation I was getting but a barely had a few PACs, and a slightly elevated heart rate.

I'm now wondering whether the AliveCor would be a good idea. If I could get to the bottom of my other issues I feel like my heart would 'calm down', as it were.

I was prescribed esomeprazole 20mg, twice a day but I took myself down to 1 day about 2 weeks ago as I was concerned that 2 a day was a bit much. My stomach issues aren't awful, they're just slightly uncomfortable but I feared they were affecting my heart so wanted to get that sorted. I'm - mostly - gluten free at the moment, but am badly struggling to cut out dairy. Should probably cut back on cheese and milk too, I suppose..
September 20, 2018 10:12AM
Unless you have a real intolerance (which can be diagnosed with some routine testing), finding which ailments are offending is a long and sometimes frustrating task.
Of course, dairies and gluten are common suspects. A good idea would be trying a FODMAP diet. Infos are plentiful on the web about this.
I've been tested for lactose and there is no problem. Nevertheless, I've noticed fresh milk, cream, yaourt and cottage cheese are the kind of things I'm better avoiding, particularly in the morning for an empty stomach. Matured cheese is less of an issue, eaten moderately.
Pastries and wheat flour are heavy on my stomach too, so I take care eating small doses.
I suggest taking the time to make your own testing. It's worth the effort and patience.
I wish you the best.
September 22, 2018 01:13PM
I have had great success with taking liquid magnesium when I feel that almost but not quite fib feeling. You put a teaspoon in water (I have found OJ is best tasting), and within an hour, my heart almost says, "Thank you," it can calm down. I am taking Jigsaw Health - Magnesium w/SRT(500 mg of magnesium) 4 times a day now, and it has cut down on PACs substantially and on Afib outbreaks too. The liquid magnesium actually helps me convert from Afib to sinus (knock on wood) with one or two doses within hours.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Karin
September 22, 2018 11:00PM
"Had an echo on Saturday and only thing of note as far as the cardiologist was concerned was calcified annulus and trivial MR in mitral valve. I'm awaiting a date for a CT as the cardio suggested checking on the scarring from the ablation, as there could be some narrowing due to how I've healed."

You're young to have a calcified annulus. Kidney issues can pre-dispose to this. Hopefully your MR is trivial. The jets can sometimes squirt out of plane and be hard to evaluate. Enough MR will cause shortness of breath. I'm not understanding the "scarring and narrowing."
I've had lung issues and reflux. My experience with reflux is as you describe (SOB and ectopics). Before my nissan fundoplication the PPI's were life altering, but did affect my gut. It's now 14 years out and I think the surgery has relaxed. Sometimes I feel I have reflux again, but watching my diet helps keep symptoms at bay. Maybe a functional medicine physician could help you understand your unique chemistry and the keys to balancing it. Wishing you the best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login