Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy Suprep

Posted by Que 
Que
Colonoscopy Suprep
September 18, 2018 07:44PM
I will have a colonoscopy in the near future and need to take Suprep. After reading the suprep patient insert, which has a warning about the medication possible causing arrhythmia, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced such.

Thanks
Re: Colonoscopy Suprep
September 18, 2018 09:20PM
You ask for the GoLytely brand. Tell the GI doctor or nurse about your AF history.
September 19, 2018 12:54AM
Maybe you can take Magnesium Citrate.
September 19, 2018 02:19AM
What Wolfpack says. Worked for me 2 years ago.

That said,,I understand that it is increasingly being done by CT scan these days so as to be less invasive. You could try asking about that?
I certainly will be next time I have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 02:21AM by mwcf.
September 19, 2018 07:21AM
mwcf
What Wolfpack says. Worked for me 2 years ago.

That said,,I understand that it is increasingly being done by CT scan these days so as to be less invasive. You could try asking about that?
I certainly will be next time I have one.

Just did a CT in Aug. still have to prep. Among other things, they had me use mag cut.. 11 years ago, used GoLytely as Wolfpack suggests.
Ken
September 19, 2018 10:46AM
More than likely, the arrhythmia potential from a colon prep is from dehydration, which all preps can induce.
September 19, 2018 02:17PM
Ken - actually, it's the rapid depletion of electrolytes... thus the name GoLytely... is electrolyte sparing.
I learned about this after the colonoscopy prep put me in arrhythmia many years ago. Had to cancel the appt.

So, then I learned about GoLytely and used that safely and successfully for a very long time until the GI doctor
told me I could go 6 - 8 years without further evaluations since the initial polyps had not reappeared. After
sharing that information here on the forum a number of years ago, many have reported getting through the
colonoscopy prep without incident as well. (I learned later on that while I thought my supplementing was adequate,
I still tested low with according to the intracellular evaluation by Exatest.)

Jackie
September 19, 2018 05:41PM
I used the Movie Prep for my Colonscopy. I spoke with my doctor about AFib and she discussed the electrolyte issue. I just made sure I drank lots of Pedialyte and Gator aid to replenish the electrolytes lost. I did great. For me the GoLytely was too hard to get down....but which one isn’t. smiling smiley
Que
September 26, 2018 01:33AM
Thank you as always, this community is so knowledgeable and kind.

Q
September 26, 2018 09:08AM
You’re welcome.

Let us know if you’re able to get the entire GALLON of GoLytely down. I couldn’t. Threw in the towel at 3/4 of a gallon, but that was enough to get the job done. It’s definitely electrolyte sparing but there is a LOT of it. Yuck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login