Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When am I considered an ablation failure?

Posted by MissSunshine 
When am I considered an ablation failure?
September 18, 2018 12:11AM
I am 15 weeks out from my second ablation. Tonight I had an arrhythmia (Probably aflutter as it felt different than Afib). I took my PIP 3 x 50 mg of Flecainide. I am back in NSR after about 20 minutes. This is the second episode in about 2 and a half weeks. The first resolved itself after 4 minutes. Is my second ablation considered a failure? And, now what? Do I contemplate a third ablation? I am so disheartened. Anyone have experiences or thoughts to share?
Re: When am I considered an ablation failure?
September 18, 2018 12:18AM
I've had my touch-up 5.5 months ago, and I'm only feeling better now. I've decided giving my heart more time to heal. For some people, it may be long.
I'm working on life style changes and supplements. It's all benefit.
September 18, 2018 01:25AM
No, your ablation can't be called a failure. First, you're barely out of the "official" blanking period. But but it's not like the "official" 12 weeks is some precise, scientifically rigorous number. There's more than enough individual variation to make 15 weeks still within "your" blanking period.

Second, it resolved quickly and on its own. Yeah, you took flecainide, but it stopped only 20 minutes later. The flecainide couldn't even have been fully absorbed when it stopped, so I really doubt it reached therapeutic levels in 20 minutes.

Both episodes could easily be nothing but bumps in the road after a successful ablation. It's way too early for you to be talking about failure and another ablation. Relax, take a deep breath, and give it time to settle down. :-)
September 18, 2018 03:22AM
Agree with Pompon and Carey.
September 18, 2018 04:32AM
I would not be disheartened yet. That can only make things worse. From what you have stated I would not be too worried yet.
September 18, 2018 12:29PM
Agree with the above comments. When was the last time you wore a monitor? Might want to ask for one to see if you can narrow down what is happening. Might not be A-Fib or flute at all. Also make sure you are taking all of your supplements. Best wishes and hopefully this is but a bump in the road.
September 19, 2018 10:17PM
I agree with everyone. My opinion is ....it takes at least a year to know where you are at after ablation. Who did your last one?
September 19, 2018 11:25PM
TSCO - Dr. Horton at TCAI in Austin. His nurse told me today that he thinks that my current bouts of arrhythmia are coming from my LAA. On my second ablation, he did ablate around it but did not isolate it. I wore my Zio monitor for a week, ending last Wednesday. There were no long runs of anything, just a few ectopic and runs of 6 or 7 quick beats. However, I had a 20 minute episode this past Monday. He wants to discuss ablating my LAA appendage and putting in a watchman. I am just not , on board with that. I started back on a beta blocker this evening and it has already quieted my heart a bit. I am with you in thinking that I may need more time to heal. I hope that is what it is. I am just disheartened. Thank you all - Dinodog, Rocketritch, Carey, Anti-afib, and Pompon.
September 20, 2018 01:02AM
Sit tight, don't do anything, and don't be disheartened. It's always a bumpy road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login