Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post ablation questions....

Posted by bolimasa 
Post ablation questions....
September 15, 2018 12:42PM
I had my ablation last Monday and have a few questions,

First let me say that being in sinus rhythm feels WONDERFUL.... I am amazed my this nice, calm feeling in my chest. Makes me wonder how long I've actually had a problem (I was diagnosed in May) as I don't recall feeling so light in my chest in quite some time.

Question 1... my only hiccup... since coming home from the hospital my BP has been high... the last few mornings it has been about 144/104.... which has me freaked out... It seems to get a bit better as the day goes on, but is still a high. Is this normal, or should I be calling my doctor or?

Question 2... Exercise... I'm cleared to exercise on Monday.... Since my aFib seemed worse when my heart was more stressed, like hiking up a steep trail. I'm a little terrified about over doing it and having my heart fritz out (and freak me out and send me spiralling off into depression). I took a 2 mile flat land walk yesterday, no problem, but Monday when I go back to work I will want to hit the stairs again ('m a stair gal and its 100+ steps up to my lab) as well as work my way back some real exercise. Any advise on getting back to it? I really need to get back on track, and lose weight to help with question # 1 (plus, ski season is around the corner!)

Question 3... My doc put me on a cardiac event monitor for the next 60 days.. Any advice on how to deal with the adhesive? It's itchy,irritating and when I wore for 30 days this summer it literally made my skin raw. I imagine I just have ot suck it up... but maybe someone here might have some good advice.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Post ablation questions....
September 15, 2018 05:08PM
Remember Ken's advice: < [www.afibbers.org]
September 16, 2018 07:54AM
question 3....If you sweat a lot like I do, there's not much you can do besides change out electrodes when they start coming off if you are wearing that type of monitor. I sweat like crazy, and I once wore a monitor for 60 continuous days. My chest was raw and drew blood in places. Not much I know that you can do but limit excessive physical activity/heat. A Zio patch was easier, but it too started coming loose on the 5th day of 7. Good luck. Also, opinions vary, but I don't know anyone one who said they wished they started an intense exercise regimen sooner after their ablation.
September 16, 2018 09:05PM
Go easy on the exercise. It’s not dangerous by any means but it may easily trigger AF, especially early in the blanking period. It did for me. Instead, ramp up very slowly. Ski season will be delayed by global warming anyway. winking smiley
September 17, 2018 06:11PM
GeorgeN
Remember Ken's advice: < [www.afibbers.org]

It took the better part of a year for me to get back to normal following my forst ablation in 2009. Since had my ablation in August of that year I had an entire summer of good hard training, between episodes, so I was in really good shape going in. Started doing light spinning in January and did my first century ride early spring the following year.

On difference of not was how my heart responded to effort. Before I could ramp my HR up almost immdiately in other words myheart ws very responsive. Following my ablation my hearts response to effort was more like a steam locomotive. It was less reactive and would ramp steadily. So I could no longer sprint like I used to. However, I was able to sustain my efforts for longer.

IMHO its best to be patient and take yor time getting back too it.
September 19, 2018 11:36AM
I just got the results from the MRI they did the day after my ablation
The things in the report I found noteworthy were a'small right pleural effusion with adjacent dependent atelectasis', and a 'trivial pericardial effusion'... I presume these two findings where effects of the surgery, and likely explain why my chest felt heavy for the first day or two.

Another finding, not mentioned in my first MRI was 'significant amount of epicardial fat', depressing, but I guess I need to take this another wake call that I somehow need to get off my lazy ass and loose weight (why is not eating so damn hard?)

Third and these are the ones I really have a questions about...

Left atrium area, four-chamber view: 32 sq cm, mildly enlarged
Delayed gadolinium enhancement: Left atrium: Diffuse enhancement left atrial wall.

Previously (7/3/18) my left atrium was normal and there was no delayed gadolinium enhancement.

My question is... if my left atrium is now enlarged and showing some fibrosis (this is what the delayed enhancement shows, correct?) are these two things due to the ablation, inflammation etc. or are these changes in my heart that are due to my atrial fibrillation problem?
Any ideas?
September 19, 2018 02:28PM
bolimasa - This is a report from the archived Conference Room Series... which explains the process by which Cardiac Fibrosis can form. It was offered a number of years ago, but the process remains the same. We probably know even more today but this report gives the fundamentals.

Cardiac Fibrotic Remodeling – The Role of Fibrosis in LAF
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login