I’m terrified...
September 13, 2018 08:46AM
of getting an ablation.
Re: I’m terrified...
September 13, 2018 10:36AM
I’ve had 4. What’s the big deal?
September 13, 2018 10:46AM
Ive had 3 with 2 different doctors in 2 different states. I feel fortunate that I have never had any anxiety cocnerning any of my ablations. I know that some people do and sypathise with it. Wish I had advice as how to deal with it but I dont. Best I can offer is to have confidence in your EP. If you dont you should seek out one that you do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 11:48AM by rocketritch.
September 13, 2018 11:27AM
An elite EP will make you wait about 3 months for the privilege. That's to make you think that you're lucky they fit you in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 11:28AM by jpeters.
September 13, 2018 12:22PM
Once you have it you’ll wonder why you were so frightened of it!
September 13, 2018 12:49PM
Hello Catherine - I can appreciate your concern as I have talked with many afibbers who have that same great fear, but they also want to regain some semblance of normal life and move on. I have no magic words for you, other than the obvious which is to become familiar with the procedure so you know what to expect and become a patient of the best Electrophysiologist available to you. Shannon can help figure out the options.. local, travel to.. etc.

My personal experience with ablation...first one in 2003 with Dr. Natale, is that it was really a 'non-event'.... in that I was expecting to feel at least some after-affects and I was totally amazed to feel virtually 'normal' when I was released the next day. I called all my friends who were waiting for my news and shared my 'awe' with them because I'd had various other surgeries that involved a lot of pain and recovery time. Since this was my heart, I was prepared for some downtime. To say I was pleasantly surprised is a gross understatement! Back then, there weren't many testimonials about what to expect. Thanks to this forum, we now have a venue to share experiences and tips and provide support.

As a frame of reference, I was 67 yo at the time so I'd expect that the younger one is, the less negative impact. And, further, as fate would have it, 11 years later, I developed A-flutter and again needed Dr. Natale's care, so flew to Austin and had that one which also involved the LAA isolation...followed 7 mos later with a touchup to finalize the task. Again... I was totally amazed at how easy those were... considering my age... although I was then and still am, basically healthy with no other health issues. I continue to keep up with all the nutrients known to help keep hearts, body and brain healthy and functional as we age. The only medication I take is the half-dose of Eliquis.
Life is good, thanks to my hero Dr. Natale.

Jackie
September 13, 2018 01:09PM
Jackie

Life is good, thanks to my hero Dr. Natale.

Jackie

I'll 2nd that Jackie, and include Shannon in that company too.
September 13, 2018 01:22PM
rocketritch
Ive had 3 with 2 different doctors in 2 different states. I feel fortunate that I have never had any anxiety cocnerning any of my ablations. I know that some people do and sypathise with it. Wish I had advice as how to deal with it but I dont. Best I can offer is to have confidence in your EP. If you dont you should seek out one that you do.

I could have written nearly the same.
I never felt afraid before any of the 4 procedures I've had. I've always considered an ablation as a solution, not as a problem.
September 13, 2018 02:54PM
I've had 3 ablations and agree with others' comments that the procedure is not one to be feared if you are in the care of an experienced EP in a facility that does a lot of ablations. Try not to be terrified. It can be a solution to your a-fib.
September 14, 2018 01:03PM
Catherine, your feelings are understandable. It's not trivial surgery. But in my case, I was SO looking forward to my day with Dr. Natale. Why? Simply put, I was at the end of my rope. I had hit bottom. I felt disabled by my long standing, full time a-fib. I had seen three local EP's in the Los Angleles, none gave me hope. I joined every a-fib message board I could find. I did my DD. That led me to find you all here, and find Dr. Natale. When I had my office visit with Dr. Natale most of the time I was with the PA, Dr. Natale came up from another procedure at the very end. They asked if I had any questions of him, and I explained that I actually did not. That I knew I was ready, that I knew it was my only, best option. He wisely nodded his head, he knew that as well. My ablation was an emotional experience for me to be sure, and still is to this day years later, but I had no fear that day at all. I had done all that I can do with my DD, I turned myself over to the experience. I'm so glad I did.
September 14, 2018 06:45PM
Thank you everyone.
September 22, 2018 10:19PM
I've had 6.......you can do it
September 28, 2018 12:00PM
I was terrified. Terrified. But I felt like it was my only chance at life and I felt like I was too young to give up (45). So I found the best EP and my hero Dr. Natale, did my part at staying as healthy as I possibly can, said a prayer and went for it. It was not at all as bad or dramatic as I imagined it and I am still fib free 7 months later (know on wood).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login