Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why

Posted by Catherine 
Why
September 12, 2018 01:21PM
....is paroxysmal AF more uncomfortable than chronic AF?

Does P-AF run a higher risk for stroke than chronic AF?

How frequent should one experience P-AF before deciding on an ablation?
Re: Why
September 12, 2018 01:54PM
Catherine
I'm guessing this is very individual. For many, symptoms are related to rate. An uncontrolled high rate for a long time will lead to cardiomyopathy and heart failure, so staying at the high rate for a long term is not healthy. Hence a doc will make a huge effort to get the rate under control.

Catherine

Anytime you are in AF, atrial velocity slows so clot risk is higher. Also would depend on whether on anti-coagulation and what your CHADs2VASc score is.
September 12, 2018 02:11PM
I think paroxysmal tends to be more symptomatic than persistent, but that's a generalization. As George pointed out, it's very individual and there will be exceptions.

Stroke risk is probably higher for persistent because stroke risk goes up the more you're in afib. However, your CHADS score matters a lot here. You can calculate your score here.
September 12, 2018 05:31PM
It’s a real head scratcher to read that people discover they have AF during a routine physical exam. How could that be? Are these people just not paying attention to how their bodies feel?

I ask because when I’m in AF, I flap around like fish out of water.
September 12, 2018 07:43PM
Catherine
It’s a real head scratcher to read that people discover they have AF during a routine physical exam. How could that be? Are these people just not paying attention to how their bodies feel?

Everybody is different. When I'm in afib, it is subtle. I know it but it isn't debilitating.
September 12, 2018 09:51PM
Hi Catherine-
The ablation choice is very personal. One thing we all know is that AFIB begets AFIB- the more you have the more problematic it becomes. So it’s important to control it any way you can. Absolutely discuss anti-coagulation with your doc if you haven’t- if they tell you need blood thinners take them. That’s your biggest protection. just had my second ablation. Before the first mine were once per month hormonally driven. 8 months later, when it moved to a new area of my heart- it went crazy and became a highly symptomatic thrice weekly mess. I’m sure this would have been the path had I not had the initial ablation. I’m glad I act f pretty fast to start attacking this thing- in my case I couldn’t function and the rhythm meds made my rate faster. It was an easy decision for me. Best of luck. This forum is an amazing wealth of information- don’t hesitate to pm those regular posters who are loaded with amazing, helpful information- I’m learning more and more each day here and feel it is giving me the confidence to make smart, educated decisIons about my health.
Tracy
September 13, 2018 12:21AM
Catherine

Nope, they're paying as much attention as you are, but they simply don't feel it. Really, not even a little. People can be in afib for years without feeling a thing before they finally see a doctor who does an ECG and lo and behold! Unfortunately, those are a lot of the ones who die or become disabled by strokes. They never knew they had it so they never took anticoagulants.
September 13, 2018 12:35AM
Catherine

I had my ablation on Monday..... And my heart really feels nice right now. I'm still a little confused about how much I was actually in AFib... I had in arrythmia most of the time, either lots of PACs or PACs with a few beats of afib mixed in, and the occasional heart racing/flipflopping short AFib episode..... I feel so good now it makes me think I've had this problem much longer than my May diagnosis, I can see how with out a major episode it can easily sneak up on person so they don't realize they are feeling bad.
September 13, 2018 12:55AM
Catherine

I was diagnosed in May, and had an ablation on Monday.
From what I could tell from looking at the literature, AFib usually gets worse, not better, it will eventually damage your heart, it's easier to 'fix ' through ablation before your heart is scarred and damaged, and that, if it works, ablation is as good or better than meds, with less side effects. All that coupled with my lucking into a good doctor, having good insurance and a burning desire to get off blood thinners (ski season is coming!) I decided to go for it. I guess it will be two months before I know for sure, but two days later so far so good, now I'm just praying it sticks, as I feel soooo much better!
September 13, 2018 12:59AM
Catherine

I was in my Dr's office 20 times with undiagnosed AFIB. I didn't feel right, and was getting progressively weaker. I was otherwise Healthy. The Medical technician did not report my relatively smooth AFIB as irregular to the Dr. except once, and then the Dr. did not even follow up on it. I knew something was wrong, but had been previously mis-diagnosed as having "panic attacks" Also when my AFIB episodes first started, they were very noticable, but after 5-7 days, not as much. As Cardio-Myopathy sets in, the Heart weakens, and you don't feel the palpitations as much. Finally I went to a Quick care Dr. in the middle the night. The different Tech caught it and told me as he checked my Pulse. I saw the Dr., and after talking to him for 20 minutes, he got up to leave. I stopped him as he was leaving the room, and told him about the Irregular HR that the Tech noticed. The Doc then got a serious look on his face, and ordered an EKG. He then came back and said " I think we just found out why you don't feel well." He then called an Ambulance to take me to the Hospital. I refused, as I knew I had had been in this state for 6-12 months already. When I checked myself into the Hospital the next day. They did an Echo. By that time my Ejection fraction was down to just 20% (55-70% is normal). The Hospital Cardiologist came into the room, and had an astonished look on his face. He said "Your heart looks like it is ready to blow out"! He was surprised I was as functional as I was. They caught it just in time. After 18 months of Rate-Control and intermittent NSR, my Ejection Fraction was back up to 65%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 01:07AM by The Anti-Fib.
September 13, 2018 01:53AM
The Anti-Fib

I was in my Dr's office 20 times with undiagnosed AFIB. I didn't feel right, and was getting progressively weaker. I was otherwise Healthy.

This is something I noticed through my ordeal.... Doc's rarely listen to your heart for more than maybe 10 beats... My heart might beat normal for or 10 or 15 or even sometimes 20 beats, then go wacko. Seems easy to miss! Heck even the cardiologist only runs a 10 second ecg, I was normal for mine. Had I not walked in with my ER report he would not have seen my AFib. I guess I think they should all listen longer, especially in folk who don't feel right.
September 13, 2018 08:34AM
Anti-Fib have you had an ablation? I’m terrified of the procedure.
September 13, 2018 01:34PM
Catherine

Yeah. I was amazed when I read that. Obviously, they don't feel it and, as said before, it may be life threatening. We may feel unlucky being highly symptomatic, but it's not that bad.
September 13, 2018 02:18PM
bolimasa

I was diagnosed in May, and had an ablation on Monday.
From what I could tell from looking at the literature, AFib usually gets worse, not better, it will eventually damage your heart, it's easier to 'fix ' through ablation before your heart is scarred and damaged, and that, if it works, ablation is as good or better than meds, with less side effects. All that coupled with my lucking into a good doctor, having good insurance and a burning desire to get off blood thinners (ski season is coming!) I decided to go for it. I guess it will be two months before I know for sure, but two days later so far so good, now I'm just praying it sticks, as I feel soooo much better!

Well as with most health problems Afib doesn't always get worse----I have had paraoxy AF off and on for almost 20 years, my episodes are usually from 5 to 12 hours, sometimes I go for months without an episode than I have had episodes a few times in a month. I had an echo a few weeks ago and my ejection factor is good and no changes from the last echo 3 years ago, no scarring or damage. Perhaps because my AF was caused by hyper thyroid and not because of some problem with my heart. I take one tab. of Propafenone at night, when I am in AF, my heart rate isn't high, usually around 80. After reading about all the ablations that people have, it still doesn't sound like the ablations are perfected as so many have had to have more than one ablation even with Natalie. Anyway, this is a site that all experiences should be heard, what will happen to me in the future, I don't know I am only relating what has occurred the last 20 years and correcting the statement that AF gets worse etc.

Liz
September 13, 2018 02:58PM
Catherine

I've had six. There's nothing to be terrified of. If you choose ablation, just make sure you choose an EP who's done at least hundreds of them, preferably thousands. Experience is everything. I would have had five fewer if I'd followed that advice.
September 14, 2018 04:54AM
Catherine

No I never did. Am 10 years into AFIB now.

"How frequent should one experience P-AF before deciding on an ablation?"

Whether or not to get an Ablation is an individualized decision. But to answer your question, if your having no more than about 1 episode a month, and you are converting back to NSR with 48 hours, then Stroke risk is minimal, and that probably should not be a determinate factor in moving forward with Ablation. How Symptomatic people are plays heavily in the decision of exactly when to Ablate. If you are hesitant on Ablation right away, then concentrate on effective rate-control during your episodes. Symptoms usually correspond with how high the AFIB HR is.

AFIB is usually progressive, but it does not always deteriorate as fast as you might think if you read the opinions of many of the posters on this Forum espousing Ablationist Strategy/Ideology. I may be somewhat of an anomaly, but my AFIB has generally gotten better over the last 10 years. I have had only one 36 hour episode in the last 18 months, and the only Anti-Arrhythmic I use is Flecainide taken just during an episode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login