Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ablation with maestro Natale

Posted by newyorker 
ablation with maestro Natale
September 10, 2018 04:35PM
Thank you for your support and wisdom.

I was fortunate to have an ablation with DR. Natale and DR. DiBiase in March.
I went from 2-3 hour fib attack every day to zero. (knock on wood).
I was suppose to get off all drugs on July 15th.
I did...for about two weeks.
And then, every night I 'felt" like I might be going in a-fib. My heart speeds up, my chest tightens, I start getting a few PACs and PVCs and then I panic.
My a-fib attacks were so bad that I am terrified of getting them back.sad smiley its almost like post traumatic stress disorder.
So, I take a tiny amount of Metropolol and Flecanaide (1/8 of my pre ablation dose) and somehow it calms everything down.
I feel like I am failure and get down on myself every night that I reach for the drugs.sad smiley
Please tell me I am not a failure.
Re: ablation with maestro Natale
September 10, 2018 04:57PM
newyorker

I feel like I am failure and get down on myself every night that I reach for the drugs.sad smiley
Please tell me I am not a failure.

You're not a failure smiling smiley

So why is it a big deal to take a tiny amount of something that quiets down your heart? Many heal for at least a year, if not more. Everyone is different.
September 10, 2018 05:01PM
Hey NY,

I can see your perspective clearly enough, but if 1/8 of the amount your pre-ablation meds (where Flecainide is concerned at an average daily dose of 200mg then 1/8 of that puts you at a frankly sub-therapeutic dose of 25mg/day) calms everything down and your AF hasn’t reoccurred then I’d consider that pretty encouraging and positive overall. I certainly wouldn’t count reaching for that extremely small amount of meds any kind of failure either on your part or of the ablation per se.

Moreover EPs don’t come any better than Natale and DiBiase so you absolutely were in the best possible hands this last March (-:

Keep the faith!

Best,

Mike
September 10, 2018 06:27PM
Don't beat yourself up. It takes time to adjust to having your hear beat normally. You dealt with it for a long time. And if you have to have a touch-up down the road that's not a big deal either.
September 10, 2018 06:47PM
mwcf
t if 1/8 of the amount your pre-ablation meds (where Flecainide is concerned at an average daily dose of 200mg then 1/8 of that puts you at a frankly sub-therapeutic dose of 25mg/day) calms everything down and your AF hasn’t reoccurred then I’d consider that pretty encouraging and positive overall.

I'd consider it a positive event even if what worked was cheesecake.
September 10, 2018 08:51PM
Okay, you're not a failure. ;-)

Try the metoprolol without the flecainide. It blunts the effects of adrenaline, which you produce in response to anxiety, and I suspect that's why this is working for you. The flec probably isn't doing squat.
September 10, 2018 10:02PM
"My heart speeds up, my chest tightens, I start getting a few PACs and PVCs and then I panic.
My a-fib attacks were so bad that I am terrified of getting them back.sad smiley its almost like post traumatic stress disorder."

Same here. I was having afib 24/7 for 5 days a week out of 7 prior to 3rd ablation. I'm not having any pacs or pvc's but in the evening when my heart was typically angry before ablation it still wants to rev up when I lay down. It feels like my heart really wants to be in afib but it cant. I'm thinking its like a muscle memory thing. We know afib begets afib. Lets hope NSR begets NSR. Also in my case, was told my left atria was mildly to moderately enlarged so theres that as well.
So IMO don't stress about it. Your heart is your friend. Its going to relearn how to beat correctly and run quietly. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 10:08PM by Billyjeans.
September 10, 2018 11:11PM
You’re not a failure, you’re human.

I’ve stayed on metoprolol because it’s calming, and I tolerate it very well at lower dosage levels. The anxiety is so hard on so many including me. I’ve lost weight, even eating very healthy 90% of the time, and exercise almost everyday. Are you taking mag and taurine?

Afib is a journey, I’ve learned. I know how it feels, it’s never too far from the surface even while it’s tamed. I’ve tried to use it to make better health choices. And when I make better choices, I find it’s easier to keep below the surface.
September 11, 2018 02:42AM
AB Page
Afib is a journey, I’ve learned. I know how it feels, it’s never too far from the surface even while it’s tamed. I’ve tried to use it to make better health choices. And when I make better choices, I find it’s easier to keep below the surface.

Wise words indeed AB Page!
September 11, 2018 06:19AM
Hi New Yorker-
You are not a failure- far from it. I think you are the younger mom who posted about your surgery this winter. I am also a younger mom of 3, crazy symptomatic to the point where I can’t talk or drive during episodes, and I too had a DiBiase ablation in January. I’m getting a touch up tomorrow and can’t wait to be done with this! Take the meds you need, a deep breath, and cut yourself some slack. I get the ptsd reference- my mental health has been rocked by this with anxiety- but in time it will all be a memory for you. Don’t hesitate to reach out to DiBiase with any questions on meds- they are fantastic and will advise you. This well could be a bump in the road, and the good news is no AFIB still! The heat this summer threw me all out of whack and let mine break back through which I’m sure it would have anyway. But I think we forever need to be very hydrated and properly supplemented as our hearts tend towards instabiiity. Luckily it’s cooled off- but make sure to drink loads of water and best wishes!
Tracy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login