Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is a Touch-up ablation recovery different?

Posted by Dinodog 
Is a Touch-up ablation recovery different?
September 09, 2018 05:22PM
Hi everyone- I’m having a touch up ablation with Dr DiBiase in NY this week who did my first in January. I’ve been terribly symptomatic all summer when things went haywire. No other heart or health issues and paroxysmal AFIB- 45 years old. Is recovery from the touch-up any easier or better? I had issues with the meds last time so am not sure what to expect without that factor. Current episodes make it so that I’m dizzy and can’t drive, etc. it’s grestly impacted my work and I’m trying to figure out if things will be better than they are now while healing? I’m heading back to work about a week after the ablation but won’t be able to if I’m still dizzy and unable to drive. I realize the answer to my question may be very unique to each patient, but am hoping for some optimism that I will feel better very soon. Thanks everyone.
Tracy
Re: Is a Touch-up ablation recovery different?
September 09, 2018 09:39PM
It's hard to say really. Too many variables to consider.
September 10, 2018 12:21AM
The physical trauma to your heart will be less. There will be fewer burns and you'll be under anesthesia a shorter period of time. And if it's just a typical right-sided flutter then he might not even need to do a septal puncture and go into the left atrium. Either way the fatigue following the procedure should be less due to less trauma and shorter anesthesia time.

No way to predict about the drugs. Hopefully, you won't need any, or at least no longer than the blanking period. That's the whole idea behind ablation, after all -- no afib and no drugs other than anticoagulants.

You should expect to be decidedly better after the procedure and you should be able to return to work. DiBiase was a good choice.
September 10, 2018 10:20PM
I had my second ablation, three months after my first. I am now about 14 weeks out from my second ablation. For me, my heart felt much more stable after the second ablation. I have had no issues other than PACs some evenings and a short 2 minute aflutter or tachycardia episode. Trust your EP and trust the process. That is what it is, a process. Try not to do too much too fast. Give your heart and body a chance to heal. Best wishes to you and it will be better!
September 10, 2018 11:17PM
My 2nd abalation was with Natale, my first was a 11 or so hour FIRM that kicked my ass. Night and day difference, and the 2 can’t really be compared. The Natale ablation recovery was so much easier, and effective. Going in, on your 2nd, you at least know what to expect. All things being equal I would expect to feel better sooner.
September 11, 2018 06:05AM
Thanks so much everyone! So excited for tomorrow!
September 11, 2018 08:18AM
Good luck for tomorrow Dinodog! I agree that getting the first index procedure out of the way is the biggest hurdle - both psychologically and physiologically - with the touch-up likely be a walk in the park in comparison!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login