Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pH study & Holter test together

Posted by Dean 
Dean
pH study & Holter test together
October 08, 2003 02:11PM
Has anyone ever had a pH study test and a Holter monitor test together in the same 24hr period?
(pH study measures gastric reflux over a 24hr period, tube inserted in nose and oesophagus and attached to holter type monitor - not pleasant!)
I have had both but not together. My pH study indicated I had strong gastric reflux, which incidently, I had no symptoms of. The graph of the pH study strongly matched the times of day when I seem to get AF and flutter.
I am also interested in hearing about anybody who has had a pH study with findings similar to mine. I have vagal LAF and so long as I keep the reflux under control my AF stays very mild.
Dean
Carol
Re: pH study & Holter test together
October 08, 2003 11:58PM
Here I go tooting magnesium again.

I believe that I read that magnesium is alkaline and reduces the acid of the stomach, so perhaps it helps digestion and acid reflux by neutralizing burning acid in acid reflux.

My digestive problems have subsided since increasing magnesium to 600-700 mg. a day.

Do you take mg.?
Carol
Fran
October 09, 2003 05:21AM
Dean

You mention that you had gastric reflux with no symptoms. I was just wondering why you got the study. Also, I have always felt a bit different in that whilst I had vagal AF I never had any stomach discomfort. Is it quite common to have reflux with no symptoms? My then diet should have given me reflux, but I didn't feel any discomfort in my stomach. Maybe my nerves don't work there.

Fran
MLM
October 09, 2003 07:08AM
Fran,
I have GERD/Reflux very badly some of the time. It is what first sent me to the ER a few years back. But I have never had the classic symptoms of it. I though I was having a heart attack. Then about 3 years later, I had the afib episode. I have really never had much heartburn at all.

blessings,
MLM
Fran
October 09, 2003 07:25AM
So was it your AF that made you discover that you had reflux? I just don't understand how people know they have reflux if they don't get heartburn or stomach problems.

Thanks

Fran
Dean
October 09, 2003 11:39AM
Carol
I take "Losec" (a mg based drug) daily which reduces the pH of the stomach acid to normal levels. This is the only med I am on. I will see my EP shortly and will discuss with him taking extra mg suppliments.

Fran
After several years of visiting cardios with little result I wrote all my symptoms down and discussed them with my local GP. Fortunately he sent me to a Gastro to have a full check up. The Gastro has had experience with vagal AF patients so he knew what tests I needed. He explained that a lot of the population have reflux with little or no symptoms so I was sent for a Gastroscopy examination of the stomach which revealed a loose esophageal sphincter (common in much of the population). This was leaking stomach acid into the lower esohagus. He then sent me for the pH study to determine how much and the strength of the acid reflux. I also had a motillity test for the peristalsis action of the esophagus. The pH study revealed strong reflux and the motillity test indicated impaired intermittant function of the lower esophagus just above the sphincter. Sometimes, when I eat, the food stays in the lower esophagus longer than normal before entering the stomach because the peristalsis action is not working -ie. the brain perceives that the perstalsis action is not working so sends extra electrical siginals to the lower esophagus. The gastro and EP think that this "short circuit" in the lower esophagus is the cause of the ectopic beats that travel down the aorta and into the heart causing my AF and flutters. All my AF attacks (I have several each year for past 6 years, none since Feb. this year) have happened after I have bent over. When I bend over I think the aorta is pressed against the lower esophagus and if the lower esophagus "short circuit" is taking place the siginals jump on to the aorta and I get AF and flutter. I had an EP study and attempted ablation in July but ablation was not attempted because of too much AF hotspots in heart and my mild level of AF. EP said it would be "too invasive". The EP said the ectopic beats are coming in on the aorta and most probably from the lower esophagus.
I am now starting to wonder if an electrical study of the esophagus and ablation is possible.

Hope this all makes sense!

The gastro has done more for me than all the cardio's I have seen. I think if anybody has vagal LAF they should visit a gastro for a check up to see if there are any suprises like I have.
Regards
Dean
Fran
October 10, 2003 04:51AM
WOW

This is the most sense I have ever seen a Dr make out of AF - and from a gastro all tied up with the brain. All my family suffer reflux - infact my sister has esophageal cancer. But the only indication I have ever had of my stomach not being 100% was in hindsight - when I stopped eating grains and dairy - and as Carol put it, my tummy sung.

I hope more people speak to their Dr's about this.

Fran
Mike F. V42
October 10, 2003 05:30AM
Dean and Fran,

YES YES. The gastro connection sure makes a lot of sense to me. I wish I had a dollar for every time bending over has given me an ectopic beat. I have a long history of reflux, gastritis, oesophegal spasms etc. My tummy woes came on about 17 years ago and preceded the development of frequent ectopics and eventually a few bouts of AF. Whilst I have on this forum expounded my belief that my problems stem mainly from my dysfunctional, violent, and abusive childhood, I have also always believed that upper digestive tract problems have played a role in my own case. I seem to have ended up an anxious adult whose brain, stomach and heart in some subtle way/s get it a little wrong as regards communicating via my autonomic nervous system. Some truly l o n g t e r m rebalancing via therapy and paleo diet is called for and this is the course I have set for myself.

Dean, can you provide a little further clarification as regards what you mean when you state:
"but ablation was not attempted because of too much AF hotspots in heart"??

Mike F.
Dean
October 13, 2003 04:36PM
Mike
My response to Fran was getting a little long winded so I was trying to abbreviate things a little.
When I was having the EP study and the EP begun to stimulate my heart to see where the problem was, I went into instant AF. After the 3rd attempt the EP could't convert me back to NSR with the catheter so he finished the proceedure and cardioverted me to NSR. He said that the only thing left was to have a Maise proceedure and that it was far too risky and unnecessary for my mild AF.
Dean
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login