Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommendations for best ablationists in the NY area

Posted by tobherd 
Recommendations for best ablationists in the NY area
September 08, 2018 12:17AM
HI everyone - my friend's husband recently had a stent put in for a blockage, but also has had on and off Afib for awhile now (over a year?)
It seems that the doctors are just giving him meds to control his heart rate, but his wife would like to know who are the better EP's in our area if he needs an ablation. He's 74, I believe, and in good health overall.

I am aware of Dr. Larry Chinitz, and Dr. DiBiase at Montefiore. Are both equally good and are there any others? I had my ablations done by Dr. Natale, but they would not travel to Austin - his Afib does not seem to be that much of a problem at this point.

Also...his doctors were sounding like they might suggest a pacemaker for his Afib...is that a common solution? I thought pacemakers were for those whose hearts are beating too slowly...no?

Thanks for your reply ~ Barb
Sam
Re: Recommendations for best ablationists in the NY area
September 08, 2018 05:28AM
A pacemaker has no effect on Afib.

They are often recommended by Doctors for Afibbers who also suffer from Bradycardia - overly slow heartbeat.
September 08, 2018 08:36AM
Pacemakers in the context of AF are used to prevent passing out in patients who are on high doses of rate control medication and experience lengthy (> 3 second) pauses in heartbeat when converting from AF to normal sinus rhythm. Pacemakers neither control nor prevent AF.

Dr. DiBiase is the “rock star” in NYC.
September 08, 2018 11:39AM
wolfpack
Pacemakers in the context of AF are used to prevent passing out in patients who are on high doses of rate control medication and experience lengthy (> 3 second) pauses in heartbeat when converting from AF to normal sinus rhythm. Pacemakers neither control nor prevent AF.

Dr. DiBiase is the “rock star” in NYC.

They may also be suggesting an AV node ablation, which should be a treatment of last resort.

Agree that DiBiase is the right choice.
September 08, 2018 08:50PM
That's what I thought, but according to my friend, her husband's heart rate was very fast...

We really do need to educate ourselves and be our own advocates...some of these doctors don't seem to know what they are doing....

Thanks for your reply ~ Barb
September 08, 2018 08:53PM
Thanks for your replies. I know that Dr. DiBiase is Dr. Natale's "protege", so he probably should be highest on the list. Does anyone know if Dr. Larry Chinitz is still considered excellent too?

Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login