Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eliquis and Supplements

Posted by MacNab 
Eliquis and Supplements
September 03, 2018 08:10AM
After being scared out of my wits by three docs about the high risk of stroking with AF I started the Eliquis. I feel better using supplements although the medical people "poo, poo" that there are any benefits. I am currently holding off on taking Magnesium, Multi B, C, D, Probiotics and Fish oils of any kind. I would like to get back to a regime with these supplements but not sure what is safe to use. I am very concerned about thinning the blood too much. Is there a way on Eliquis to check with a blood test....such as the INR indication?
Re: Eliquis and Supplements
September 03, 2018 08:51AM
What's your CHA2DS2-VASc and HAS-BLED scores? If you compare the two risk estimates, if might give you an idea if it's lower risk to coagulate or not.

https://www.chadsvasc.org

I do share the same question as you though, if any supplements are not safe with Eliquis, since I recently started taking it post-ablation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 08:55AM by MarkF786.
September 03, 2018 11:14AM
There is no test and no test is needed. Magnesium, multivitamins, probiotics and fish oil are all perfectly fine with Eliquis. The danger of over-anticoagulating and uncontrolled bleeding is hugely exaggerated by just about everyone. Eliquis and the other DOACs aren't like warfarin. They aren't affected much by diet or most supplements and don't swing wildly in their level of anticoagulation like warfarin can. Relax. You'll be fine.
September 03, 2018 02:35PM
Good answer, Carey! I find your posts to be helpful and well informed....always worth considering.thumbs up
September 03, 2018 03:54PM
MacNab - I agree with you about nutritional supplements and have many 'success' stories about those benefits versus meds that were not helpful. Glad you are using the supplements you are ...with one potential caveat.....

Eleven years after my first successful Natale ablation, I developed a-flutter and had to take Eliquis after that ablation because of the LAA isolation, have been on that since 2014...and half-dose, since 2015. My age is the main reason, apparently, because I did have good clearance velocity when tested.

Based on the research I did on the many nutritional supplements that I use for my heart plus general health and longevity, I did cut back on the Omega 3 dosing to 1 gram daily because I didn't want to risk a bleeding complication. I also avoid another favorite herbal, ginkgo biloba, which is excellent support cognitive functional support and blood flow to neurological tissues, but it can also help thin the blood.

I still use small amounts of curcumin daily and sometimes boswellia if I feel ‘creaky’ after a workout or gardening, but I avoid any significant doses of the combination products that help reduce overall inflammation and therefore, maintain vascular health such as systemic and fibrinolytic enzymes.

My platelet count is a bit low so I've always been very aware of what might cause a complication with Eliquis if I have have an hard impact 'bump' or cut... and while I can bruise easily and rapidly, nothing is overly complicated.

Best to you,
Jackie
Joe
September 04, 2018 04:45AM
Suggest you listen to Scott Freeland, Pharm. D. at the recent Dallas conference, day 3, session 1-3 @ 50:00 min. on DOACs & herbal interactions.
*Grapefruit
*CBD oils
*"Natural" anticoagulants
He suggests to tell your treating health care professional about it.
September 04, 2018 09:14AM
Thank you all so much for the input on this subject. Extremely helpful to get info based on everyone's experiences. As I mentioned my GP and Cardiologists scared me into taking the blood thinner (with talk of becoming a vegetable at the old folks home) and as well I have a strong history of stroke in my family. I truly would have liked to control it with natural substances. My naturopath said it could be done but I also felt that if I did not go down the medical road and had further cardiac problems getting mainstream help could be a problem. And also it seems there are no reliable tests to prove if one or the other is doing the job. I would like to mention that I have seen what supplements can do: my husband's BP was very high. He has been put on several meds through the years that he could not tolerate. Last winter he was on a new one (not sure of the name) I could see him getting sicker and sicker so he said "enough of this" and stopped. By chance we learned of Fish Oil controlling BP, so he began taking a Tbsp morning and night. Within a week BP started dropping by a month in he was at a level his Cardiologist was pleased with. So this would be why the supplements, I feel are so important for overall good health.
September 04, 2018 10:30PM
Joe
Suggest you listen to Scott Freeland, Pharm. D. at the recent Dallas conference, day 3, session 1-3 @ 50:00 min. on DOACs & herbal interactions.
*Grapefruit
*CBD oils
*"Natural" anticoagulants
He suggests to tell your treating health care professional about it.

Link please?
Joe
September 05, 2018 12:56AM
September 05, 2018 01:04PM
still on my quest to reclaim my supplements. I am considering and investigating replacemens for the Fish Oil. In conversation with a very knowledgeable Health Advisor she suggested replacing Fish Oil with Coconut Oil and Flax Oil. Vitamin C is out but going to resume the B Complex, Mag B and Probiotics. Looking for comments on the Brain food. Also, had to give up the Garlic supplement. I feel this is a real powerhouse. My husband is immune suppressed and takes Garlic daily and NEVER has a cold or flu.
September 05, 2018 04:43PM
Millions of people take anticoagulants and fish oil together, including me. It's really not a problem unless maybe you're taking huge amounts. I don't think you needed to give up any of the supplements you mentioned. I don't know where you got the idea the other items like magnesium are a problem. They're not.

Oh, and fish oil did nothing for my BP, so it's no miracle drug.
September 06, 2018 10:52PM
I have been on Eliquis for the past 5 years and also take a Multi-vitamin, ginkgo biloba, fish oil, and more, with no problems. I have had some cuts and nothing bled unusually. I would not take large doses for any of these things, as that might be a problem, but am not concerned with normal doses - and feel better knowing I am taking good things for my health as well.

By the way, I did just have a 7 day monitor (all is fine, although I did have a lot of PACs and PVC's, but they weren't worried about it). and I had my 4th TEE last week. Still waiting on the results. I am trying to see if I can get OFF of the Eliquis, so I definitely don't have to worry about supplements, taking an Advil, or any future medical interaction possibilities. I hope to have a phone conversation with Dr. Natale very soon to discuss all of this.

In the meantime, do you have a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace? Shannon had recommended one of those awhile back and I am glad I have one, in the event you had an accident, the medics will know what medications you are on and may need, etc.

OK - good night all ~ Barb
Joe
September 07, 2018 01:03AM
Hi Barb,

Could you please tell what % PACs and PVCs you had?
I had a 24 hr monitor and my PACs were 1% - max. HR 132, count 1,623, PVCs 2% - max. HR 94, count 501.
Wonder if these are numbers i should worry about?
September 07, 2018 06:33PM
Joe
I had a 24 hr monitor and my PACs were 1% - max. HR 132, count 1,623, PVCs 2% - max. HR 94, count 501.
Wonder if these are numbers i should worry about?

Nope. Very unremarkable numbers.
Joe
September 07, 2018 07:40PM
Thanks Carey! The GP referred me to a Cardiologist. I have an appointment next Tuesday, so your feedback is very helpful.
Eliquis and Aura Headaches
October 04, 2018 02:46PM
I began the Eliquis last May. Since that time I have had on average 2 to 3 aura headaches a week. Has any one else heard of this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login