Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange run of ectopics - heart trying to go into afib?

Posted by DavrosT 
Strange run of ectopics - heart trying to go into afib?
September 01, 2018 04:51AM
Hi all, I had a terrible sleep last night due to some really bad ectopics. Ordinarily, I'd just try to ignore the symptoms and let it pass.

This occasion felt different though. I started to feel slightly weak an hour or so before bed, (also I have reflux and gastric issues and was experiencing a lot of excess wind by the time I got in to bed) accompanied by tiredness.

I couldn't keep my eyes open so lay myself down straight away and that's when the ectopics began. I don't normally experience that many positional ones anymore, but these were quite severe. Heart rate wasn't too high, I checked it while I as lying down and it was probably in the mid 80s, bordering on 90s. Heart's pounding quite hard. The ectopics felt different though, there wasn't that heavy pause and then a thump, it was almost like a light 'skip' (but I sort of.. felt it in my chest and the back of my neck, if that makes sense) and then my heart would carry on like nothing had happened.

This went on for as long as it took me to sleep but I was seriously expecting an episode to start at any one time. I even started convincing myself a heart attack/stroke was coming. Because my whole body felt so strange.

I've woken this morning to a very gassy, swollen stomach, lots of wind and a heart rate in the mid 70s. I've not noticed any obvious PACs yet but just feel very worried. I've had a lot of things going on at lately too with other health issues. So its getting on top of me a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 05:06AM by DavrosT.
Re: Strange run of ectopics - heart trying to go into afib?
September 01, 2018 05:55AM
I've had to fight, while in bed, symptoms like those you describe. They were likely linked with stomach reflux and digestive issues. When I was feeling bloated, the pauses and heavy beats were usually caused by PVCs. The more subtle other symptoms between normal beats were PACs, which could sometimes trigger afib.
Back then, I was sleeping with my upper body elevated and often had to stand up or go sitting in the living room to releave the symptoms.
Now I'm nearly fine the whole night. I've some ectopics from time to time but they quickly disappear. I'm sleeping nearly flat and I'm not feeling any reflux.
I've done all that I thought possible to relieve my stomach and bowels troubles, and here is the result.
I'm not afib free, far from this, but one of the main things leading me to HR disorders is now under better control.
I don't mean it's the solution for you, but I think it's worth trying to solve your stomach issues.
Many people here have been of great help (and still are), and particularly Jackie for my digestive problems.
Thanks to all of them.
September 01, 2018 06:24AM
Thanks for your response. To be honest, I've been working on sorting my digestive and bowel issues for a few months now. I tried low fodmap initially, but found that far too stringent and there isn't an awful lot available where I am that doesn't require ridiculous amounts of preparation.

I then went gluten free and wheat free. I try to be as dairy free as possible but it's not always easy.

One problem with last night was that I didn't end up eating until almost 8pm, then had a dessert at 8:30pm. It was really stupid of me but thought iI might get away with it. At the time the heart issues were occurring I was doing my best to convince myself it was the eating late that had caused the issues.

I'm on esomeprazole at the moment for reflux, 2 inhalers for possible asthma, but definite breathing probs, ramipril for high blood pressure, levothyroxine for slightly low thyroid levels, vit D and folic acid, amongst a whole host of supplements for the past 12 months.12 months ago I'd never been on a regular prescription. Since my afib diagnosis, and subsequent ablation last 22nd June, I've had no end of health issues. Getting so tiring.

Meant to be going to NY with the wife next Saturday for a week but I'm really feeling like it's the last thing I want to do at the moment.
September 01, 2018 08:33AM
Davros - I can really appreciate your frustration. It's a common problem in people who are unable to produce enough of their own natural stomach acid to break down food. You have to address the core, underlying issues.

In the absence of that, the food you eat will lie in your stomach undigested and begin to ferment which creates gas and bloating and this bloating can then crowd or press upon the vagus nerve in the diaphragm. That pressure or impingement can cause heart palpitations.

The underlying,core problem is to make enough natural stomach acid, the body needs the basic nutrients to do that and while the typical medical remedy is to prescribe an acid blocker or PPI, it doesn't address the actual problem... which is breaking down food. In order to make stomach acid (hydrochloric acid) you need adequate amounts of specific B vitamins, zinc, others depending on test results.

Now, also... if you do have a sensitivity to certain food groups such as dairy or legumes or gluten, then that's yet another issue that needs to be isolated by specific testing that will show the sensitivities. There are digestive tests that evaluate those areas as well as gut bacteria evaluation via stool analysis testing.

Often, the use of digestive enzymes with each meal and snack are very helpful. It also is helpful to have a stool analysis to rule out bad bacteria overgrowth and parasites.

Here's a couple of reports on Digestive Ailments that outlines the many areas that can be problematic
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

If you can find a practitioner in your area who practices Functional Medicine and can order the digestive tests, that would be a great start toward resolving the gas and bloating issues. I can help you search if you like... send me a PM.

Jackie
September 01, 2018 09:34AM
I have had the same issues in the evening with PACs. I find that if I do not eat for 3 to 4 hours before bed, it is better. However, some nights they just appear. I purchased a large foam wedge that keeps me at an incline, at least to get to sleep. There have also been nights where I sleep in a recliner. Both help to minimize the PACs.
Sam
September 01, 2018 12:39PM
I had serious reflux a few years ago. I was really concerned about getting Barretts Oesophagus. The reflux was worst at night but I also got it during the day especially when I bent over

I have my last meal at 6.00 PM. At 9.45 I have 3/4 teaspoon of of Bicarbonate of Soda. This stopped the reflux quite quickly and I've never had it since.

I had already tried a Hydrochloric Acid supplement in case the cause was a lack of stomach acid. This instantly made the reflux much worse which showed me that lack of acid was not the cause.
September 01, 2018 01:55PM
Yes - the timing of eating and then reclining definitely can influence reflux and often subsequent heart activity. We've had people report on their habit of eating the evening meal and then lying down on the couch to read or watch TV.. typically caused those issues.

Adding extra HCl alone with a meal doesn't always help, but a combination digestive enzyme aids that include pancreatin, lipase, protease, amylase, cellulase, lactase etc. often helps in the interim until adequate B vitamins, zinc required to used to produce the natural stomach acid production are restored...(which can take some time). Those who are vegetarians and vegans typically test low in the requisite B vitamin vitamins and zinc. To break down and absorb the nutrients in food in order the get the benefits, the digestive system does require proper natural production of HCl.

Yes...adding HCl to already irritated gastric mucosa, can definitely can make the situation worse.... so the idea is to repair the gastric mucosal cells so they are fully functional.

Those who are advocates of the benefits of pure, organic apple cider vinegar have also noted success in digestive comfort... there's a lot published on Bragg's ACV and the benefits.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login