Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recall of hypertension med - Valsartan

Posted by Jackie 
Recall of hypertension med - Valsartan
August 29, 2018 03:30PM
And, now, apparently, we can't even rely that prescription medications have safeguards given the latest recall of the hypertension medication, Valsartan.

Toxin At Heart of Drug Recall Shows Holes in Medical Safety Net
August 24, 2018
SHANGHAI/LONDON (Reuters) - A toxin inadvertently produced in the manufacture of the widely prescribed medicine valsartan but not spotted for years raises questions about regulators' ability to detect risks in a sprawling global drug supply chain increasingly reliant on factories in China.

[www.medscape.com]

[www.medscape.com]
Re: Recall of hypertension med - Valsartan
August 29, 2018 11:02PM
Jackie
And, now, apparently, we can't even rely that prescription medications have safeguards given the latest recall of the hypertension medication, Valsartan.

On the other hand, I'm happy to be living in an era where the standards are so high that a slip up like this is considered so outrageous.

"Based on the average NDMA impurity detected at Huahai of 60 parts per million (ppm), the EMA says there could be one additional case of cancer in every 5,000 people taking the highest dose for seven years."
August 29, 2018 11:41PM
jpeters

On the other hand, I'm happy to be living in an era where the standards are so high that a slip up like this is considered so outrageous.

Oh really?

What about aspartame which is in diet drinks pushed through by Donald Rumsfeld.

[dailyhealthpost.com]

Liz
August 29, 2018 11:47PM
Elizabeth

Oh really?

What about aspartame which is in diet drinks pushed through by Donald Rumsfeld.

[dailyhealthpost.com]

Liz
Never had a "diet drink", and wouldn't trust it.
August 30, 2018 03:01AM
Liz' point is valid. Sugar is the main killer in western society and anything with 'diet' written on it is poison end of IMHO. I was just in Bordeaux for a week and the lack of overweight/obese folks there was gob-smacking compared to here in the UK. The French know about good quality food and drink. Mediterranean diet healthy? You bet. And mainly because it isn't full of garbage.
August 30, 2018 09:46AM
mwcf
Liz' point is valid. Sugar is the main killer in western society and anything with 'diet' written on it is poison end of IMHO. I was just in Bordeaux for a week and the lack of overweight/obese folks there was gob-smacking compared to here in the UK. The French know about good quality food and drink. Mediterranean diet healthy? You bet. And mainly because it isn't full of garbage.

Health drinks are a booming business, and make all kinds of marketing claims. Flavored water with supplements added.
August 30, 2018 02:02PM
Sports drinks, "health" drinks, energy drinks, soft drinks -- all just sugar water garbage.
August 30, 2018 02:11PM
jpeters said:

On the other hand, I'm happy to be living in an era where the standards are so high that a slip up like this is considered so outrageous}

My response to you was because of the above statement which turns out to be not completely true---you are going off in a tangent about flavored water with supplements which has nothing to do with the above statement.

liz
August 30, 2018 04:49PM
Elizabeth

My response to you was because of the above statement which turns out to be not completely true---you are going off in a tangent about flavored water with supplements which has nothing to do with the above statement.

We've known all about the downsides of aspartame now for the last 25 years. Manufacturers use sugar substitutes because people think they're healthier than sugar. Nothing at all related to a current slipup in catching a potentially carcinogenic substance in a drug being manufactured in China.

An area I'd like to see more regulatory research in is generics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 05:07PM by jpeters.
August 31, 2018 01:19AM
Was the recall of Hismanal and Seldane another slip up of drugs that were prescribed. I take Rythmol once at night, no doctor ever told me that there could be an interaction between Rythmol and grapefruit juice. There can be interaction between Coumadin and Rythmol as well, drugs are not benign.

Liz
August 31, 2018 01:42AM
Elizabeth
Was the recall of Hismanal and Seldane another slip up of drugs that were prescribed. I take Rythmol once at night, no doctor ever told me that there could be an interaction between Rythmol and grapefruit juice. There can be interaction between Coumadin and Rythmol as well, drugs are not benign.

Liz

Grapefruit juice interacts with a lot of medications. Do your research.
August 31, 2018 02:49PM
jpeters

If I take my car to a mechanic, I expect him to know what is wrong and how to fix it, he will give further instructions if needed, I guess according to you doctors are exempt. If they prescribe a drug they should be aware of any interactions and tell you. I do my research because doctors unfortunately don't.

Liz
August 31, 2018 02:56PM
Elizabeth

If I take my car to a mechanic, I expect him to know what is wrong and how to fix it, he will give further instructions if needed, I guess according to you doctors are exempt. If they prescribe a drug they should be aware of any interactions and tell you. I do my research because doctors unfortunately don't.

Liz

Your pharmacist might be more helpful answering questions about drug interactions. I picked up some diltiazem from the VA, and it instructed not to take with grapefruit juice right on the label. Doctors are focused on other things.

Another thing I've discovered is the importance of asking the right questions, or a doctor will most likely tell you almost nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 03:08PM by jpeters.
September 02, 2018 03:49PM
Elizabeth

If they prescribe a drug they should be aware of any interactions and tell you. I do my research because doctors unfortunately don't.

Liz

"A total of 396 drugs are known to interact with Eliquis"

[www.drugs.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login