Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can’t figure out the triggers

Posted by beardman 
Can’t figure out the triggers
August 22, 2018 09:55PM
I was diagnosed with afib in March at random (more explanation in my previous thread). I have been taking a variety of supplements both via recommendations here, my own reading and my naturopaths suggestions. I am 36 years old and have zero interest in any pharmaceuticals.

I am in rhythm about 70% of the time in any given month, generally out of rhythm for 24-48 hours at a clip. I can count on martial arts putting me back into rhythm 9/10 times and a plateau program on the exercise bike will do it about half the time. I have been unable to figure out my trigger(s) though. Previously it was running so I switched to biking, now it seems to be completely at random. I record just about everything and it does not seem to relate to any specific time of day, physically activity, eating or drinking, lack of eating or drinking, temperature, stress level, I have even looked at clothing.

I check myself with my Kardia monitor and can generally tell 2-3 hours before I am going to kick out of rhythm. I start to feel crappy and feel a hollow feeling in my chest. During this time I show no abnormalities on my ecg until I kick out when my P wave disappears. I generally have a heart rate under 100bpm when out of rhythm and it is in the 50-60 range when in rhythm. When I sleep it is not unusual for it to drop down to 35-40. I tape my mouth shut when I sleep to force nasal breathing and have only once or twice kicked out of rhythm while sleeping. I did have a sleep study done, but it was inconclusive.

I am at my wits end, please help.

Joel
Re: Can’t figure out the triggers
August 22, 2018 10:32PM
Do you have an EP? That’s an electrophysiologist. Like a cardiologist but specializing in the heart’s electrical system. I’m sorry if I’m repeating myself because I think you’ve posted before, but an EP is definitely where you want to go. It sounds like vagally-mediated AF due to chronic fitness (something I know something about). That generally makes one an excellent ablation candidate, barring any other serious comorbidities.

Triggers can be obvious for some and complete mysteries for others. Don’t lose heart (pun intended) if you’re in the latter category. Once an experienced EP gets in there with his or her mapping catheter then the mystery can be solved.
August 22, 2018 11:42PM
I do and I am sure this is just me being stubborn, but I really didn’t like the path he wanted me to go down. He was insistent on an electro cardioversion and wanted me on blood thinners and a few other things to, “try them out”. My chads vast number is zero. I suggested that I could wait a few days to kick back into NSR and it was like I had just insulted him. I have read so many mixed reviews on the ablations and I just don’t think I’m ready for that step yet.

My echo is perfect and stress tests show no blockages. I know the risks, but I just feel with being younger that I don’t want to be making a choice that doesn’t have to be done immediately. I figure a wrong choice now could impact the next 40 years . . .

I have tried accupunture and chiropractic to target the Vagus Nerve. I have also tried all the tricks like cold water, bearing down, cold showers. Nothing seems to make an impact.
August 23, 2018 12:03AM
Your doc is right when he wants having you back in NSR as soon as possible. Waiting is usually bad because the longer you're in afib, the more likely afib would worsen.
August 23, 2018 12:48AM
wolfpack
It sounds like vagally-mediated AF due to chronic fitness (something I know something about).

Curious I'm trying to get a handle on "vagally-mediated"
Is there a reason the chronically fit people would have vagally mediated afib? (reference?)
Was there something in his description of his symptoms that would indicate it is vagal? I guess I don't really how people tell vagal from non.

Which gets around to another question I've been having... there are all these things that seem to associate with afib... hypertension, obesity etc.
But of course association and causation are two different things.

I can see that that if longstanding hypertension has damaged (enlarged etc) your heart, that may be causative for afib. But say you are hypertensive and your heart is still normal, is it really the hypertension causing afib? Or is it merely associated, but not causative?
August 23, 2018 04:21AM
Did you ever follow up on an Endocrine/Cortisol check-up, as suggested in in your earlier Post? A Saliva Cortisol 4X/day test would tell what is going on with Adrenal output. The fact that you can sense it coming on several hours prior suggests some sort of intermittent Hormonal or Electrolytic imbalance. I had intermittent periods of Adrenal Suppression which triggered AFIB. I felt wiped out and unsually tired for about a day prior to my episodes.
August 23, 2018 06:26AM
The Anti-Fib
Did you ever follow up on an Endocrine/Cortisol check-up, as suggested in in your earlier Post? A Saliva Cortisol 4X/day test would tell what is going on with Adrenal output. The fact that you can sense it coming on several hours prior suggests some sort of intermittent Hormonal or Electrolytic imbalance. I had intermittent periods of Adrenal Suppression which triggered AFIB. I felt wiped out and unsually tired for about a day prior to my episodes.

What is the treatment/med or protocol you use for adrenal fatigue or high cortisol levels at night?
August 23, 2018 07:40AM
hwkmn05

What is the treatment/med or protocol you use for adrenal fatigue or high cortisol levels at night?

I didn't have high levels at night, more on the low side. I was running out of Cortisol especially upon Stressful situations. I have a relatively rare condition of constant Thirst, and I was drinking way too many fluids, and was flushing out the Cortisol in my Urine. As for a treatment, I try to cut down on Water intake, even if I'm thirsty. Also I stopped taking Prednisone and getting Steriod injections for inflammation. I was intermittently taking the potent Drug Prednisone (boosts Cortisol) for Inflammation, and when I stopped taking it, my body did not make enough of its own Cortisol, and I had low Cortisol output for 7-10 days causing the "Adrenal Suppression" which triggered my AFIB. Now if i feel wiped out, I take a low dose of Hydrocortisone (Stress Dosing) to temporarily boost up my Cortisol levels. I have been doing well since I made this change. Almost 10 years into AFIB, never been doing better. No Ablation or Anti-Arrythmics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 07:58AM by The Anti-Fib.
August 23, 2018 08:40AM
Pompon
Your doc is right when he wants having you back in NSR as soon as possible. Waiting is usually bad because the longer you're in afib, the more likely afib would worsen.

I understand this, but with the ability to convert on my own, I just didn't feel it was necessary. I am usually in NSR for 3-4 days at a clip and then out for 1-2 days.
August 23, 2018 08:51AM
The Anti-Fib

I did and thought I had posted the results (which are not right at my fingertips right now). My cortisol levels where fine, but my DHEA numbers where through the roof. The numbers all followed the curve of the chart, but I want to say that my DHEA numbers where in the range of 900-1,200 area. My doctor prescribed me Adrenotone from Designs by Health to counteract this. Adrenotone I am scheduled to take another test within the next month to see how/if this has helped.

The other supplements that I am taking are:
1 grams L-Argentine 3X daily
1 gram Vitamin C 3X daily
500mg Niavasc (Niacin) 1X daily
20,000 fu Nattokinase 1X daily
3 caps Adrenotone 3X daily
200mg DHA form Algae 3X daily
1 cap Vitamin D Supreme (5,000iu Vit D and 550mcg Vit K) 1X daily

I generally don't feel tired leading up to an episode, it is only when I am on the tailend of an episode that I get wiped out (after being out of rhythm for 24-48hrs).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 08:53AM by beardman.
August 23, 2018 10:06AM
Beardman,

Your EP is really just following standard procedure for paroxysmal AF patients. It's cardioversion within 48 hours of onset, followed by anticoagulation and AAR/rate control meds. He isn't using you as a "guinea pig" by any means. I can certainly understand not wanting to do that on your part, but do bear in mind that you really want to minimize the time in AF or else it will just get worse. 2 days on, 3 days off is actually a fairly high burden. I know you've said the rate isn't terribly high during an episode, but it will still "wear" on the ventricles after some time.
August 23, 2018 10:19AM
bolimasa
Is there a reason the chronically fit people would have vagally mediated afib? (reference?)
Was there something in his description of his symptoms that would indicate it is vagal? I guess I don't really how people tell vagal from non.

Which gets around to another question I've been having... there are all these things that seem to associate with afib... hypertension, obesity etc.

I can see that that if longstanding hypertension has damaged (enlarged etc) your heart, that may be causative for afib. But say you are hypertensive and your heart is still normal, is it really the hypertension causing afib? Or is it merely associated, but not causative?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1767580/

Vagally-mediated AF is characterized by episodes beginning at rest, often nighttimes, or post-prandially. It is likely an imbalance in autonomic nervous system within the atria in which the parasympathetic (vagal) nerves overwhelm the sympathetic nerves. It is a common side-effect of exercise (AF is something like 5x more prevalent in the athletic community versus the general population).

Think of it like this - when you condition the heart to pump blood very efficiently, my guess is that it needs to retain the ability to "go slow" more than it needs the ability to "go fast" because everyone spends more time at rest than they do at activity. Even if a runner, swimmer, or cyclist spends 1 or 2 hours a day with an elevated pulse due to activity, that still leaves 22-23 hours a day where the heart output needs to meet the lower oxygen demands of being at rest. So to keep the blood pressure low enough, the body will create more parasympathetic tone in the heart to signal the atrial cells to be more refractory (slow down).

In a nutshell, if you're going into AF when you're exerting yourself, you're not vagal. You're adrenergic, or possibly mixed.
August 23, 2018 10:31AM
wolfpack
Beardman,

Your EP is really just following standard procedure for paroxysmal AF patients. It's cardioversion within 48 hours of onset, followed by anticoagulation and AAR/rate control meds. He isn't using you as a "guinea pig" by any means. I can certainly understand not wanting to do that on your part, but do bear in mind that you really want to minimize the time in AF or else it will just get worse. 2 days on, 3 days off is actually a fairly high burden. I know you've said the rate isn't terribly high during an episode, but it will still "wear" on the ventricles after some time.

I learned the hard way about converting, electrically or chemically. Im in the camp of, ASAP the better. My rate was usually low and quite irregular, but nonetheless, sleep was nearly impossible. You only open yourself up to the need for more meds and precautions by waiting.
August 23, 2018 10:45AM
The Anti-Fib

I didn't have high levels at night, more on the low side. I was running out of Cortisol especially upon Stressful situations. I have a relatively rare condition of constant Thirst, and I was drinking way too many fluids, and was flushing out the Cortisol in my Urine. As for a treatment, I try to cut down on Water intake, even if I'm thirsty. Also I stopped taking Prednisone and getting Steriod injections for inflammation. I was intermittently taking the potent Drug Prednisone (boosts Cortisol) for Inflammation, and when I stopped taking it, my body did not make enough of its own Cortisol, and I had low Cortisol output for 7-10 days causing the "Adrenal Suppression" which triggered my AFIB. Now if i feel wiped out, I take a low dose of Hydrocortisone (Stress Dosing) to temporarily boost up my Cortisol levels. I have been doing well since I made this change. Almost 10 years into AFIB, never been doing better. No Ablation or Anti-Arrythmics.

Interesting. After my 6 time interval saliva test, I was low daytime and high in the evening. DHEA and HPA Adapt cortisol manager daytime and Seriphos, HPA Stress Hormone stabilizer at night. No episodes for 16 months since. We shall see if this was it after 8 years.
August 23, 2018 10:54AM
Joel/Beardman - The Adrenotone may be too stimulating... esp. in combo with L-arginine. The Adrenotone product data sheet has this notation:
Advise patient to discontinue use and consult you if they experience sleeplessness, headache or
heart palpitations when using Adrenotone™.

You should consider cutting back on the arginine as well as that can be too stimulatory for some individuals .... (or just stop completely for a while).

Also - what's your source of magnesium ? Most people can't get enough from food and supplements are needed. Have you assessed your daily intake of potassium from food sources? Those who do endurance athletics and also are plagued by arrhythmia and/or ectopy need to be sure they have the right balance of electrolytes that affect heart cell function.

Jackie
August 23, 2018 12:31PM
Jackie
Joel/Beardman - The Adrenotone may be too stimulating... esp. in combo with L-arginine. The Adrenotone product data sheet has this notation:
Advise patient to discontinue use and consult you if they experience sleeplessness, headache or
heart palpitations when using Adrenotone™.

You should consider cutting back on the arginine as well as that can be too stimulatory for some individuals .... (or just stop completely for a while).

Also - what's your source of magnesium ? Most people can't get enough from food and supplements are needed. Have you assessed your daily intake of potassium from food sources? Those who do endurance athletics and also are plagued by arrhythmia and/or ectopy need to be sure they have the right balance of electrolytes that affect heart cell function.

Jackie

I will speak to my doctor about the Adrenotone today and try dropping the L-Arginine for a while as well.

For Magnesium I was taking THIS for a while, but showed zero difference in the amount of time I was in NSR. Ultimately I would prefer to be on as few supplements as possible, as I am sure would everyone.

I also tried taking Potassium Gluconate Power for about a month. I am figuring that I consume under 1000MG a day so I was taking 2.5 tablespoons/day spread out to try to hit ~3,500 total MG/day. Again, no difference so I discontinued usage.
August 23, 2018 04:13PM
beardman

I understand this, but with the ability to convert on my own, I just didn't feel it was necessary. I am usually in NSR for 3-4 days at a clip and then out for 1-2 days.

I would say that an electro cardioversion would be pointless, it would shorten that event but won't likely prevent the next one. You need a plan to stay in rhythm after you convert.

You don't want meds, but perhaps flecainide on demand might do a quick conversion. Not a forever solution, but at least would minimize the AF burden while you try to figure out triggers.

Even though exercise will convert you, it is also likely part of the problem. It certainly was for me <[www.afibbers.org]

George
August 23, 2018 04:25PM
wolfpack
Beardman,

I disagree, the EP was making an quick remark off the top of his head, and not thinking through the situation completely.
ECV would be warranted if there was an indefinate time until self-conversion, not a window of 1-3 days. Beardman cannot get an ECV every Week. All of the Dr's and Nurses at the Hospital would not want to be part of that, and neither should the patient. It would be hard to imagine any EP ordering over maybe 12 EVC's for a patient a year. At some point the EP, and others involved would stop cooperating, and demand other means like Ablation.
August 23, 2018 04:30PM
bolimasa

It sounds like vagally-mediated AF due to chronic fitness (something I know something about).

Fit folks get it because they have high vagal tone. The high vagal tone is why Lance Armstrong had a resting heart rate in the low 30's, at least at one point. Most of us who are chronically fit have resting heart rates in the 50's or lower. In my experience it is a change (dynamic increase) in vagal tone on top of an already high vagal tone that is the trigger. For example, I over exercise, then have dinner and am relaxing after dinner (all increasing vagal tone). Then an episode occurs.

The fact that beardman can convert some episodes with exercise is a vagal characteristic. Typically a vagal won't go into an episode during exercise, while an adrenergic person will. Of course there are those with "mixed" triggers, in which case all bets are off (which you could be).

bolimasa

As far as I'm aware, it is association, though a fairly strong one. It is the reason why some of those with these issues can have their afib get better when they get rid of these issues.

I know that on a larger heart, it is easier for the reentrant afib wavelets to propagate. Hence tall people are also at higher risk. I know there are discussions on this in the archives from 12 or so years ago.

Surgery in the heart area, even lung, can cause afib. I believe this is because of the inflammation caused by the surgery. Perhaps the hypertension causes some inflammation?????

George
August 23, 2018 04:34PM
GeorgeN

I would say that an electro cardioversion would be pointless, it would shorten that event but won't likely prevent the next one. You need a plan to stay in rhythm after you convert.

You don't want meds, but perhaps flecainide on demand might do a quick conversion. Not a forever solution, but at least would minimize the AF burden while you try to figure out triggers.

Even though exercise will convert you, it is also likely part of the problem. It certainly was for me <[www.afibbers.org]

George

I completely agree with your option about the electro cardioversion which is why I didn’t do it. My EP suggested that I take flecainide, but cautioned me that I absolutely couldn’t take it before the cardioversion as it could put me into NSR which could throw a clot. I know they are going by the book and I don’t want a stroke, but I just wish I could find the balance a little better.

I consume 1,000-1,500 MG of calcium a day, maybe that’s too much and I could try cutting down. I eat a Keto/vegetarian diet though, so I am sourcing most of my fat content from dairy.

I certainly am not doing endurance training and I have cut my exercise down to 5-10 hours per week. I don’t for a second doubt that there is a chemical/electrolyte imbalance. Some days doing the exact same workout in an attempt to convert just won’t work. There must be another variable.
August 23, 2018 04:41PM
beardman
I consume 1,000-1,500 MG of calcium a day, maybe that’s too much and I could try cutting down. I eat a Keto/vegetarian diet though, so I am sourcing most of my fat content from dairy.

From my experience, I'd stop the Ca++ completely. Now. When I was overeating Ca++ , I had many more triggers. I'm much more robust without it.

How much is too much exercise is too much is likely very individual.

In your shoes, I'd cut the Ca++ and also go to no material exercise and see what happens. If all is good, then I'd gradually add in exercise and see what level is triggering. I'm an "endpoint" guy. I like to start from known "good" and then work from there. Hence I'ld try ditching the Ca and the exercise and see what happens. If it is all good, then you can add back. If that doesn't do it, then you have to think what your next step is.

George
August 23, 2018 04:53PM
GeorgeN

From my experience, I'd stop the Ca++ completely. Now. When I was overeating Ca++ , I had many more triggers. I'm much more robust without it.

How much is too much exercise is too much is likely very individual.

In your shoes, I'd cut the Ca++ and also go to no material exercise and see what happens. If all is good, then I'd gradually add in exercise and see what level is triggering. I'm an "endpoint" guy. I like to start from known "good" and then work from there. Hence I'ld try ditching the Ca and the exercise and see what happens. If it is all good, then you can add back. If that doesn't do it, then you have to think what your next step is.

George

I appreciate the input. I did stop any workouts other than martial arts for about a month and that didn’t have any effect.

I then stopped all training/exercise for a week a couple of weeks ago and spent 8 full days out of NSR. I won’t be doing that again. I’ll try dropping my cheese/dairy intake and see what that does for a week or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 04:54PM by beardman.
August 23, 2018 06:50PM
beardman
I’ll try dropping my cheese/dairy intake and see what that does for a week or so.

I think mine is about 500-600mg/day. It was stress eating wheels of brie during my divorce that was the culprit for me. I had a before and after. I started this stress habit fairly soon after the divorce ensued. I was eating a keto diet at the time (now it is ovo-pescatarian vegan keto), so thought I had a "free pass." I thought stress was the reason my triggers got MUCH more sensitive. I thought I had a lot more remodeling and that was just too bad and a trip to Dr. N in Austin was my next option. Took me 18 months to go back to the literature and realize that it could be Ca++. I quit the cheese and my control went back to pre divorce stress levels.
August 24, 2018 05:49AM
Has anyone noticed or been measuring their heart rate variability? Mine is measure automatically with my Apple Watch. When in NSR it is between 20-75, but when out of rhythm it spikes upwards of 250ms. I am not sure if the watch is accurate during an arrhythmia or if this is another valuable piece of data to follow.

Without changing anything yet, I worked out at martial arts for about a hour last night with varying degrees of exertion and went back into NSR. I then went and did a slow paced bike for about 6 miles/20 minutes at the gym, still all good. We’ll see how long this lasts . . .
August 24, 2018 09:45AM
Beardman - your intake of calcium... I consume 1,000-1,500 MG of calcium a day is very high.

You need to cut back to under 500 mg or less... on a permanent basis. ... because calcium is excitatory to cells... that includes heart cells. And it will dominate over magnesium... (which is calming or relaxing)..... If your magnesium intake is consistently low, then that explains the problems you are experiencing. Most afibbers need to supplement with magnesium continually... especially those who are heavy exercisers.... and it needs to be the form of magnesium that reaches the interior of the cell without interference.

There is a book written by a cardiologist... Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD... titled Death by Calcium.... and he goes into all the details as to why calcium intake is so detrimental to the body on many levels. We need some calcium but not nearly the amount that many people take in daily.

Jackie
August 24, 2018 10:56AM
Jackie
Beardman - your intake of calcium... I consume 1,000-1,500 MG of calcium a day is very high.

You need to cut back to under 500 mg or less... on a permanent basis.

Jackie, I think everyone is different and needs to do their own research. Calcium is an important nutrient and quotes closer to 1200 mg, especially for people over age 50 are prevalent. There are lots of studies and uncertainties, and I don't believe anyone is qualified to be making statements about what people need to be doing on this board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 10:57AM by jpeters.
August 24, 2018 11:22AM
A healthy, adult male between the ages of 18 and 60 could probably exist just fine on 0mg of dietary calcium per day. You really don't need it. In terms of electrolyte gradients across cardiac cells, Ca2+ concentration is something like 4 orders of magnitude less on the inside vs outside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 03:00PM by wolfpack.
August 24, 2018 11:36AM
wolfpack

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Vagally-mediated AF is characterized by episodes beginning at rest, often nighttimes, or post-prandially. It is likely an imbalance in autonomic nervous system within the atria in which the parasympathetic (vagal) nerves overwhelm the sympathetic nerves. It is a common side-effect of exercise (AF is something like 5x more prevalent in the athletic community versus the general population).

Think of it like this - when you condition the heart to pump blood very efficiently, my guess is that it needs to retain the ability to "go slow" more than it needs the ability to "go fast" because everyone spends more time at rest than they do at activity. Even if a runner, swimmer, or cyclist spends 1 or 2 hours a day with an elevated pulse due to activity, that still leaves 22-23 hours a day where the heart output needs to meet the lower oxygen demands of being at rest. So to keep the blood pressure low enough, the body will create more parasympathetic tone in the heart to signal the atrial cells to be more refractory (slow down).

In a nutshell, if you're going into AF when you're exerting yourself, you're not vagal. You're adrenergic, or possibly mixed.

Thanks for the info.
And thanks for the new to me word - "prandially" I'd never heard that one before, and always enjoy an opportunity to learn a new word.

Your description makes me wonder if I am 'mixed'.
Certainly my medical test indicated Afib under exertion, Kinda makes me wonder if this relates to me being a "bad uphill girl" something I've struggled with my whole life. Has my heart always gone a little wacky when I hit that certain exertion point? I wish there was a way to know.

It would be easier to figure all this out if I could really tell when I am in afib... I also wonder about the vagal issue. One odd thing I've been trying to figure out is if there is a link between my pulsitile tinnitus and my afib... I started getting the pulsitile tinnitus ~ 2 years prior to my afib diagnosis. I don't have it all the time, or at least don't notice it all the time, but when I do hear it is when I rest on my couch in the evening and when I go to bed. Now I'm wondering if I am more afibby at this time. I have also noticed that of the few times I could really tell I am in afib, those events happened at night in bed.

Maybe none of this **really** matters... but maybe it would be good for me to understand my patterns (if they exist) so I can best assess my ablation recovery.
August 24, 2018 11:40AM
wolfpack
A healthy, adult male between the ages of 18 and 60 could probably exist just fine on 0mg of dietary calcium per day. You really don't need it

I'm glad we now have the definitive answer. Thanks.
August 24, 2018 12:55PM
jpeters - There is plenty of reliable documentation to support the problem with excess calcium - especially in afibbers and we've been pointing to the reasons why since the forum first began.

In the book, Death by Calcium, by cardiologist Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD... there are several topic titles that refute the calcium need. A sample of the topic titles and 'headlines'

Chapt. 1 Is Calcium Really a Killer?

Impartial Science Delivers a "Guilty" Verdict

Excess Calcium Promotes Heart Disease
You are 30% more likely to have a heart attack and up to 20% more likely to have a stroke if you take an an extra 500 mg of calcium or more per day- that's the consensus derived from a comprehensive review of 15 independent clinical investigations. The reviewing researchers reported that subjects taking calcium supplements (500 mg or more per day) had 27 to 31% high risk of heart attack and 12 to 20% greater risk of stroke.

Dump more calcium into the caldron and the brew becomes even more deadly. A study of over 61,000 participants viewed over a 19-year period concludes that those with calcium intakes over 1400 mg/day had an alarming 40% increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease in general and a 114% increase in risk of death from reduced flow of blood to the heart muscle (ischemic heart disease.)... .
these are footnote references

Also...other segment topics ...
Excess Calcium Promotes Cancer....
Excess Calcium & Toxins promote Increased Cellular Dysfunction and Death
Excess Calcium Increases Death Rate from All Diseases
The Toxicity of Calcium Supplementation

Calcium's Deadly Myths
Untangling Fact from Fiction
Myth #1 "Calcium supplementation and increased dietary calcium are good for you"
Myth #2 "You cannot get enough calcium in your diet without dairy products."
Myth #3 "Everyone with osteoporosis has a calcium deficiency"
(3 out of 8 elaborations)

Dr. Levy is not alone in presenting the risks of excess calcium in the body. Fortunately, there are many medical professionals giving similar advice and precautions based on the science. The problem is basically, that it's easy to get a lot of calcium from common dietary intake. Not so easy to get optimal magnesium... which has been a common focus here and should remain so as it definitely has an influence on excitability of cardiac cells and that's basic science.

Jackie

Death by Calcium
Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
MedFox Publishing
Copyright 2013
August 24, 2018 01:07PM
Jackie

You need to cut back to under 500 mg or less... on a permanent basis. ... because calcium is excitatory to cells... that includes heart cells. And it will dominate over magnesium... (which is calming or relaxing)..... If your magnesium intake is consistently low, then that explains the problems you are experiencing. Most afibbers need to supplement with magnesium continually... especially those who are heavy exercisers.... and it needs to be the form of magnesium that reaches the interior of the cell without interference.

There is a book written by a cardiologist... Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD... titled Death by Calcium.... and he goes into all the details as to why calcium intake is so detrimental to the body on many levels. We need some calcium but not nearly the amount that many people take in daily.

Jackie

I wouldn't trust anything from Thomas Levy. He claims to be an expert on everything while hawking his supplements and books. For example, makes all kinds of unsubstantiated claims about Vitamin C and infectious diseases like Ebola, yet no publication record in support.

I would stop supplementing with Mg with your 35-40 bpm sleeping HR, or at least discuss first with an EP.
August 24, 2018 01:37PM
Beardman:

'My EP suggested that I take flecainide, but cautioned me that I absolutely couldn’t take it before the cardioversion as it could put me into NSR which could throw a clot. I know they are going by the book and I don’t want a stroke, but I just wish I could find the balance a little better."

Are you misunderstanding what your EP said? The whole point of taking a AAM like Flecainide is to convert to NSR, and avoid ECV's. Throw a Clot? the chances of that are much higher with an ECV, as the massive jolt from the Shock might dislodge a a Clot attached to the Wall of the Heart. Also, you are already Self-Converting 1-2 times a week anyway, why would your Dr. be extra concerned about Self-Conversion prior to a scheduled ECV? Iv'e had several times where I had an ECV scheduled while taking Flecainide, then in final hours before the ECV was to happen, I Self-Converted back to NSR. My EP and everyone was jubilant that I didn't need to follow through with the ECV. Maybe your Dr. wanted to have an TEE Echo done before the ECV, to check the Atria for Clots, but he could have ordered this without an ECV.
August 24, 2018 01:45PM
I suspect he's being required to take anticoagulants for three weeks prior to the cardioversion to give any existing clots time to dissolve. That's standard procedure. So what his EP is saying is don't take flecainide until that time period has passed. You definitely don't want to convert to NSR by any means when you've got a clot lurking in your left atrium.

Another option would be to do a TEE to see if there is a clot, and if not going ahead with the cardioversion right away. That's what I would ask them to do.
August 24, 2018 02:33PM
Jackie

Myth #1 "Calcium supplementation and increased dietary calcium are good for you"
Myth #2 "You cannot get enough calcium in your diet without dairy products."
Myth #3 "Everyone with osteoporosis has a calcium deficiency"
(3 out of 8 elaborations)

Dr. Levy is not alone in presenting the risks of excess calcium in the body. Fortunately, there are many medical professionals giving similar advice and precautions based on the science. The problem is basically, that it's easy to get a lot of calcium from common dietary intake.

Great, so don't take calcium supplements. I'm on a vegetarian diet, but like yogurt. There's a ton of research on what calcium does for you. I never subscribed to the listed myths.

(or I was for many years...lately I've added some Salmon and chicken).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 02:57PM by jpeters.
August 24, 2018 03:08PM
bolimasa
Thanks for the info.
And thanks for the new to me word - "prandially" I'd never heard that one before, and always enjoy an opportunity to learn a new word.

Your description makes me wonder if I am 'mixed'.
Certainly my medical test indicated Afib under exertion, Kinda makes me wonder if this relates to me being a "bad uphill girl" something I've struggled with my whole life. Has my heart always gone a little wacky when I hit that certain exertion point? I wish there was a way to know.

It would be easier to figure all this out if I could really tell when I am in afib... I also wonder about the vagal issue. One odd thing I've been trying to figure out is if there is a link between my pulsitile tinnitus and my afib... I started getting the pulsitile tinnitus ~ 2 years prior to my afib diagnosis. I don't have it all the time, or at least don't notice it all the time, but when I do hear it is when I rest on my couch in the evening and when I go to bed. Now I'm wondering if I am more afibby at this time. I have also noticed that of the few times I could really tell I am in afib, those events happened at night in bed.

Maybe none of this **really** matters... but maybe it would be good for me to understand my patterns (if they exist) so I can best assess my ablation recovery.

From what you've described - going into AF during the stress echo test - I'd say you're at least adrenergic and possibly "mixed".

It isn't really going to matter much to the EP ablationist. It doesn't change his strategy. My experience post-ablation is that if bad things are going to happen, they're going to happen differently than before anyway. It makes sense to me that if you've altered the electrical substrate of the atria with burns then it's going to behave differently afterwards. If you had an ablation and found yourself as symptomatic as before and with the same trigger patterns, I'd take that as a pretty strong indication that the ablation was a) PVI-only and b) not anwhere near transmural. In other words, a failure probably done by a less experienced operator. (Your EP, Dr. Marrouche, does not fit into this category so no worries there).
August 24, 2018 03:49PM
wolfpack
From what you've described - going into AF during the stress echo test - I'd say you're at least adrenergic and possibly "mixed".

It isn't really going to matter much to the EP ablationist. It doesn't change his strategy. My experience post-ablation is that if bad things are going to happen, they're going to happen differently than before anyway. It makes sense to me that if you've altered the electrical substrate of the atria with burns then it's going to behave differently afterwards. If you had an ablation and found yourself as symptomatic as before and with the same trigger patterns, I'd take that as a pretty strong indication that the ablation was a) PVI-only and b) not anwhere near transmural. In other words, a failure probably done by a less experienced operator. (Your EP, Dr. Marrouche, does not fit into this category so no worries there).

I'm certainly hoping my doc is as good as his reputation...
I feel pretty fortunate to have just lucked my way into having a good doctor.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix myself so I can keep it from coming back if I'm lucky enough to have a successful ablation.
August 24, 2018 07:44PM
The Anti-Fib
Beardman:

'My EP suggested that I take flecainide, but cautioned me that I absolutely couldn’t take it before the cardioversion as it could put me into NSR which could throw a clot. I know they are going by the book and I don’t want a stroke, but I just wish I could find the balance a little better."

Are you misunderstanding what your EP said? The whole point of taking a AAM like Flecainide is to convert to NSR, and avoid ECV's. Throw a Clot? the chances of that are much higher with an ECV, as the massive jolt from the Shock might dislodge a a Clot attached to the Wall of the Heart. Also, you are already Self-Converting 1-2 times a week anyway, why would your Dr. be extra concerned about Self-Conversion prior to a scheduled ECV? Iv'e had several times where I had an ECV scheduled while taking Flecainide, then in final hours before the ECV was to happen, I Self-Converted back to NSR. My EP and everyone was jubilant that I didn't need to follow through with the ECV. Maybe your Dr. wanted to have an TEE Echo done before the ECV, to check the Atria for Clots, but he could have ordered this without an ECV.

I confirmed with the EP multiple times to make sure I understood. As I understand it though it is a by the book play as I had been out of NSR for longer than 48 hours.
August 24, 2018 07:50PM
Carey
I suspect he's being required to take anticoagulants for three weeks prior to the cardioversion to give any existing clots time to dissolve. That's standard procedure. So what his EP is saying is don't take flecainide until that time period has passed. You definitely don't want to convert to NSR by any means when you've got a clot lurking in your left atrium.

Another option would be to do a TEE to see if there is a clot, and if not going ahead with the cardioversion right away. That's what I would ask them to do.

The plan was for a TEE and then a ECV, since my chads vasc score is zero it seemed than my stroke chances were actually higher while taking the meds the EP and other cardiologist wanted me on. The stroke chances also appeared to be higher having an ECV done as aposed to just waiting for me to naturally convert. The EP said that my stroke chances where the same no matter how the conversion occurred. He said it didn’t matter if it was an EVC, drug induced or naturally occurring. That statement just didn’t make sense to me and the statistics that I read after the fact didn’t seem to match up either. Again, I am not looking for a stroke, but it just seems like the advice being given is all based on liability.
August 24, 2018 08:03PM
Jackie

Jackie

It just dawned upon me that when I was originally diagnosed I was eating a completely vegan diet so I can only figure that my calcium intake was almost if not zero. I will definitely be trying a drastic reduction in ca since it is an easy test. Thank you for the advice.
August 24, 2018 09:23PM
beardman

The plan was for a TEE and then a ECV, since my chads vasc score is zero it seemed than my stroke chances were actually higher while taking the meds the EP and other cardiologist wanted me on. The stroke chances also appeared to be higher having an ECV done as aposed to just waiting for me to naturally convert. The EP said that my stroke chances where the same no matter how the conversion occurred. He said it didn’t matter if it was an EVC, drug induced or naturally occurring. That statement just didn’t make sense to me and the statistics that I read after the fact didn’t seem to match up either. Again, I am not looking for a stroke, but it just seems like the advice being given is all based on liability.

Be careful to understand what the CHADSVasc score is telling you. A score of zero does not mean your stroke risk is zero. Nor does it mean your stroke risk is the same as it otherwise would be if you were in NSR. When you are in AF, your stroke risk is increased by 400%. What a CHADSVasc score of less than two means is there is “no net benefit” of anticoagulation. Anticoagulation, any kind, carries a risk of bleeding. So if you take the anticoagulation medicine, and your CHADSVasc score is a one or a zero then the risk of you suffering a bleed is greater than or equal to the risk of you having a stroke. The actual stroke risk, however, remains at four times what it was when you were in rhythm.
August 24, 2018 09:35PM
beardman
The EP said that my stroke chances where the same no matter how the conversion occurred. He said it didn’t matter if it was an EVC, drug induced or naturally occurring.

Your EP is correct. The risk is that if there's a clot in your left atrium and you return to NSR, the resumed effective pumping action will pump the clot out and a stroke is the likely result. It doesn't matter how or why you returned to NSR.

Frankly, I don't understand what the issue is here if your EP planned on a TEE prior to the cardioversion. Do the TEE and cardioversion and be done with it.
August 24, 2018 10:08PM
The caveat being to insist on heavy sedation for the TEE as opposed to the “spray”. From what I’ve heard, it’s like swallowing a telephone receiver.
August 25, 2018 12:47AM
beardman

Jackie

It just dawned upon me that when I was originally diagnosed I was eating a completely vegan diet so I can only figure that my calcium intake was almost if not zero. I will definitely be trying a drastic reduction in ca since it is an easy test. Thank you for the advice.

Let's hope that you didn't understand what she was saying. If you're on a strictly vegan diet, you especially need to make sure you're getting enough calcium.

"Calcium and the heart: a question of life and death. ... The importance of calcium-dependent signaling in the heart has been appreciated for decades. For example, it is well accepted that intracellular calcium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) is required for cardiac muscle contraction."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 01:11AM by jpeters.
August 25, 2018 04:14AM
beardman
Carey said:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Really you are correct Beardman. ECV is not warranted. Why ECV when in, a day or 2 later you covert on your own, and then 3 days later your back in AFIB. BTW, the biggest risk of an ECV for would probably from the Anesthesia. Your Doctor is giving you generic advice and totally discounting what you are saying about going in and out of AFIB. This is not uncommon, as Dr's dont always trust patients accounts of when their in AFIB, or NSR. Maybe he has some Theory he wants to test, that giving a blast of Electricity may somehow help the situation. In any regards I would get another opinion and try another Dr.
August 25, 2018 04:35AM
I’m with Jackie on the Calcium. We certainly don’t need a huge amount to be in the healthy range. In fact I stopped taking it at all after being told I had Osteoporosis...having been supplementing with it for 20 years.
My bone doc suggested high dose D3 and calcium from natural sources, but don’t overdo it. So it’s yogurt, full cream milk, bit of cheese and as a vegetarian, plenty of veggies nuts pulses etc.
Calcium is also contraindicated in regards to heart disease.
My last bone density was better , so small steps.
August 25, 2018 05:03AM
beardman

Beardman:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Anti-FIB:

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Beardman:

I confirmed with the EP multiple times to make sure I understood. As I understand it though it is a by the book play as I had been out of NSR for longer than 48 hours.

So your EP is saying that if a patient has been in AFIB>48 hours, that they must discontinue Anti-Arrthmics, as it it might convert them back to NSR, thus causing Stroke. An then the Patient undergoes TEE/ECV to get back to NSR.
If such a treatment protocol exists, someone please direct me to it. I've been in these scenarios many times, having 30 ECV's. Sure getting out of AFIB<48 hours is the Goal, but to suggest that we should avoid spontaneous self-conversions by withholding AAM's is new to me. At some point you have to try and get out of AFIB, it's not risk free.
In your case, it sounds like you've Already had 50+ self-conversions over the last year. This is why minimizing Stroke risk is important, and Dr's emphasize anti-coagulation especially for someone in out out of AFIB as much as you are.
August 25, 2018 08:46AM
The Anti-Fib

Beardman:

Anti-FIB:

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Beardman:

So your EP is saying that if a patient has been in AFIB>48 hours, that they must discontinue Anti-Arrthmics, as it it might convert them back to NSR, thus causing Stroke. An then the Patient undergoes TEE/ECV to get back to NSR.
If such a treatment protocol exists, someone please direct me to it. I've been in these scenarios many times, having 30 ECV's. Sure getting out of AFIB<48 hours is the Goal, but to suggest that we should avoid spontaneous self-conversions by withholding AAM's is new to me. At some point you have to try and get out of AFIB, it's not risk free.
In your case, it sounds like you've Already had 50+ self-conversions over the last year. This is why minimizing Stroke risk is important, and Dr's emphasize anti-coagulation especially for someone in out out of AFIB as much as you are.

This was on my initial visit to the EP. I was not at that time and am still not on any medication. He wanted to have me undergo an ECV the following day and wanted me to start a blood thinner immediately. He didn’t want me taking the flecanide before since he said I would have only been on the thinner for a day. He said if I self converted before the ECV then I could start taking it.

I know the past is the past, but the only thing all the different cardiologist and the EP seem to agree on is that I have had this most likely my entire life or at least since my early 20’s (I am only 36 now). I have such a hard time understanding or believing that this has been having for so long and that NOW I need to take all these drugs or have an ablation. I just don’t trust having to be on pharmaceuticals for the next 40 years. Especially since with some adjustments to my life I have already been able to go from 4-5 week boughts of being out of NSR to 1-2 days.

I can’t help thinking that, “my case is different”. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.
August 25, 2018 12:15PM
Yes - JoyWin - that's smart. Good for you.

For those on vegan diets, there is more than abundant calcium content in the vegan foods to satisfy the body’s requirements so avoiding dairy isn't really a penalty that requires supplementation with extra calcium. The risks of too much calcium and especially in afibbers is real and correct from a basic, biochemistry standpoint.

That's why calcium channel blockers seem to be helpful in patients... they block the contracting of muscles in heart and arteries when there is excess calcium. However, some forward-thinking doctors have asked...if you block the calcium, where does the excess calcium go? It gets deposited into arteries ... according to a paper presented at European Cardiology Society in Amsterdam noting CCBs caused 85,000 avoidable heart attacks and cases of heart failure each year.

Very early in my AF years, I was taking supplemental calcium as directed by my GP as advice for post-menopausal women. I found an association between when I took the calcium supplement and onset of afib...so it was an obvious message to stop the Ca supplements and that definitely helped. Then, several years later, I found this forum and became acquainted with "the magnesium factor" as it relates to AF.

There is misguided concern about the need for calcium for strong bones. Yes, calcium is one component but there are a total of 76 minerals needed for proper bone health and strength... and calcium is only one and they all need to be in proper balance and ratio.

Jackie
August 25, 2018 12:30PM
safib - The referenced calcium studies in the Death by Calcium book are not Dr. Levy's pipe dreams.

As I commented to JoyWin in another post, the risks of too much calcium and especially in afibbers is real and correct from a basic, biochemistry standpoint and is supported by not only those fundamentals, but also the studies showing the excitatory effect on muscle cells including heart cells.

That said... It's appropriate to question anything that seems too good to be true.. I always do that myself; but let me tell you... the high-dose vitamin C Dr. Levy touts in his other books are both useful and help prevent and reverse many ailments not managed easily by other conventional meds.

If you haven't experienced the awesome efficacy of using Liposomal Vitamin C to ward off the onset of a cold or flu, for example, you've really missed something amazing. That form provides the ease of taking very high doses of vitamin C that typically would not be tolerated (bowel) in a short period of time with regular C. I've used it; family has used it; friends are amazed and I know afibbers who would never want to be without it... esp. when traveling.

Dr. Levy isn't the only one touting the benefits of the liposomal delivery system of nutrients. And, of course, there is a huge amount of history on the basic, preventive and curing effects of vitamin C.

Jackie
August 25, 2018 12:31PM
wolfpack
The caveat being to insist on heavy sedation for the TEE as opposed to the “spray”. From what I’ve heard, it’s like swallowing a telephone receiver.

It is. Ask me how I know..... Make sure that they do both spray and sedate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login