Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So how do you feel?

Posted by bolimasa 
So how do you feel?
August 16, 2018 03:49PM
I can't say I really notice my afib much.
Obviously, I did during the episode that landed me in ER, and there are certainly other times my heart feels rumbly bad.
But for the most part I don't really notice it much. As I've mentioned here before, I think I may have many more PACs than Afib... my 30 day event monitor put me at 5 % afib, but when I check my monitor it almost always reports back arrythmia. My 48 hour holter indicates something like 15% PACs

That said, I have found I notice the opposite...that I have times where I feel oddly calm, my head feels clear and unstatic-y. I feel much more clear thinking and well, very pleasant, like a huge fog has lifted.

When I feel this way and check my monitor, I am more often than not in normal rhythm. Normal rhythm and usually a low heart rate. Sometimes I'm like this for a few minutes, other times it lasts longer... today has been a good day, I've had a few hours where I have this had this nice feeling, and sure enough the 10 monitor readings I've done over the last 4 hours or so have mostly been good, and the couple that said arrhythmia were not nearly as arrhythmatic as most of them.

It certainly makes me beg the question, how long have I had this problem... as the not so good feeling is truly my 'norm' and probably has been for a long time. In the past when I had this fog lifted sort of feeling, I always attributed it to some mental health mood thing.... now I wonder if it has really been my heart thing.

Has anyone had this phenomena where it is easier to tell when you are are feeling in rhythm then out of it?
Re: So how do you feel?
August 16, 2018 07:44PM
bolimasa
I can't say I really notice my afib much.
Obviously, I did during the episode that landed me in ER, and there are certainly other times my heart feels rumbly bad.
But for the most part I don't really notice it much. As I've mentioned here before, I think I may have many more PACs than Afib... my 30 day event monitor put me at 5 % afib, but when I check my monitor it almost always reports back arrythmia. My 48 hour holter indicates something like 15% PACs

That said, I have found I notice the opposite...that I have times where I feel oddly calm, my head feels clear and unstatic-y. I feel much more clear thinking and well, very pleasant, like a huge fog has lifted.

When I feel this way and check my monitor, I am more often than not in normal rhythm. Normal rhythm and usually a low heart rate. Sometimes I'm like this for a few minutes, other times it lasts longer... today has been a good day, I've had a few hours where I have this had this nice feeling, and sure enough the 10 monitor readings I've done over the last 4 hours or so have mostly been good, and the couple that said arrhythmia were not nearly as arrhythmatic as most of them.

It certainly makes me beg the question, how long have I had this problem... as the not so good feeling is truly my 'norm' and probably has been for a long time. In the past when I had this fog lifted sort of feeling, I always attributed it to some mental health mood thing.... now I wonder if it has really been my heart thing.

Has anyone had this phenomena where it is easier to tell when you are are feeling in rhythm then out of it?

Are you on any medication or had an ablation? Thanks!
August 16, 2018 07:58PM
I have been on diltiazem since this began is May. I just scheduled an ablation.
August 17, 2018 12:37AM
I 've had a Reveal Linq implanted monitor for almost 4 years, though the battery's probably dead by now. That's been helpful, though I wasn't able to get the data very often cause my cardiologist's office made it rather challenging. But then I got a Kardia Mobile device over a year ago and that's been really helpful. The overlap with the 2 helped me see how accurate the Kardia is.

For those who aren't familiar with Kardia Mobile, it's a sensor device that you can attach to your smartphone (or keep it separate) that connects to the Kardia app and allows you to take medical grade ECGs. You can take a reading of 30 seconds up to a few minutes (your choice) and it'll indicate NSR, Possible AFib, or Unclassified.Using the Kardia has helped me to become really attuned to whether I'm in NSR or in Afib. There's also a service now that practices & patients can sign up for that allows the practice to receive the Kardia ECGs.

As a result of my regular quick checks with my Kardia, I definitely notice whether or not I"m in NSR and tend to feel great these days when I am in NSR...and so grateful. Fortunately, my AFib episodes are much milder than they used to be and shorter since I was prescribed Flecainide for pill-in-the-pocket. I had an ablation 8 months ago, and while I still have an episode maybe once a week, it's been interesting to see the quality of them change. I used to be utterly miserable, irritable, exhausted, anxious, wiped out. I'm sure that the acupuncture I've been doing consistently and the herbal blends I've been taking have been helping my entire system get stronger and that's made a difference.

Lately I've thought about how half the battle with AFib is the mental component. As in, how to stay balanced emotionally and not freak out when an episode would start, like I did early on. Or how to keep a calm frame of mind in identifying triggers.
August 17, 2018 07:38AM
From a single ectopic to runs of afib, I feel everything. I just record some events to show my Doc I'm not joking, because when we meet, I'm usually in NSR.
August 17, 2018 11:02AM
grace123

Lately I've thought about how half the battle with AFib is the mental component. As in, how to stay balanced emotionally and not freak out when an episode would start, like I did early on. Or how to keep a calm frame of mind in identifying triggers.

Yup.
I'm new to this, it all just began Memorial Day weekend (as far as I know).

I can't say I actually feel bad. I haven't had a note worthy episode in quite some time, though, as I posted above, I'm beginning to think I'm just acclimated to feeling sub-par.

I do however, feel horribly drained, anxious and depressed about this which just adds another downwardly spiraling element to the problem.
Not quite sure what to do about that though... other than to soldier on and stay busy... I'm really good at busy, though that's a double edged sword too. I really feel like I need a break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 11:08AM by bolimasa.
August 17, 2018 11:15AM
Pompon
From a single ectopic to runs of afib, I feel everything. I just record some events to show my Doc I'm not joking, because when we meet, I'm usually in NSR.

So, curious, how long does your doc check you? I was downright shocked when at the EP's office he only did a 10 second ECG. I was in NSR...
My GP listened to my heart for a similar amount of time, and thought I sounded find.
As best I can tell I can be in NSR for 10 seconds... measure for 30 and I think the result would be much different. I would say that about 9 out of 10 of my 30 sec personal monitor reading come back as abnormal. I'm confused why they don't pay attention to this!
August 17, 2018 12:41PM
Pompon

Im exactly the same. I'm very symtomatic and have always felt every little blip of my heart. It's been both a blessing and a PITA.
August 17, 2018 01:55PM
bolimasa
So, curious, how long does your doc check you? I was downright shocked when at the EP's office he only did a 10 second ECG. I was in NSR...
My GP listened to my heart for a similar amount of time, and thought I sounded find.
As best I can tell I can be in NSR for 10 seconds... measure for 30 and I think the result would be much different. I would say that about 9 out of 10 of my 30 sec personal monitor reading come back as abnormal. I'm confused why they don't pay attention to this!

I can't remember how many 10sec ECG's I've had, but most of them were normal. Some showed one or two PACs, but in this case, they were considered "normal" too. Those I had which showed afib were from the ER or when I was in hospital for a procedure.
I had 3 holters, only one from them recorded ectopics. Others were"normal". None have recorded more than 2 seconds of afib.
The fact is I'm in NSR most of the time. I've ectopics nearly everyday and 1h of afib about twice a week. For me, it's lots of afib, hard to live with because I've still to take meds and can't exercise the way I'd like. But it's a small part of my time.
My own 30 sec tracings are always abnormal. I never use my monitor to check if I'm ok. I use it when I'm out of rhythm. I feel it.
I guess it's the same for you. You record your heart rhythm when you're feeling bad. When you're fine, you do something else. Isn't it the reason why your recordings are nearly all abnormal?
August 17, 2018 04:25PM
Pompon

You record your heart rhythm when you're feeling bad. When you're fine, you do something else. Isn't it the reason why your recordings are nearly all abnormal?
No, I mostly do random checks... I rarely notice anything, though I do check then... Like I said in my original post the feeling I get that inspired me to non randomly check is the good feeling... weird huh? Maybe I'm used to feeling 'off'? But feeling 'good' catches my attention!
August 18, 2018 01:48AM
If I make a recording when I'm fine, I'll likely have some ectopics. Checking HR generates stress, and stress makes things worse.
If you're not symptomatic, I don't believe a home monitor would be of great help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 01:48AM by Pompon.
August 18, 2018 03:55PM
bolimasa

You record your heart rhythm when you're feeling bad. When you're fine, you do something else. Isn't it the reason why your recordings are nearly all abnormal?
No, I mostly do random checks... I rarely notice anything, though I do check then... Like I said in my original post the feeling I get that inspired me to non randomly check is the good feeling... weird huh? Maybe I'm used to feeling 'off'? But feeling 'good' catches my attention!

Perhaps checking your radial pulse randomly or when you feel something. If that is off, then use the monitor. I can usually tell if I'm in afib in four or five beats checking my pulse.
August 18, 2018 08:21PM
GeorgeN

Perhaps checking your radial pulse randomly or when you feel something. If that is off, then use the monitor. I can usually tell if I'm in afib in four or five beats checking my pulse.
My pulse is almost always off... Whether it's AFib or just PACs, I never know. My 30 day event monitor put my AFib burden at 5%, but almost every time I check it says arrythmia... And I usually just randomly check... Like I said in the beginning.... It's the moments I actually have the good feeling that I really notice I feel different.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login