Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few post-ablation recover questions...

Posted by MarkF786 
A few post-ablation recover questions...
August 16, 2018 07:36AM
My ablation is being done in about 10 days and a few questions about the recovery came to mind:

How long is the typical recovery time, and what are the stages (if any)? I'm in my mid-40s, in reasonable health, exercise frequently (though usually just in the form of 1 hour brisk walks). Some of the specific 'milestones' in recovery I'm wondering about are:

- How long until I'm back to work? I have a desk job (mostly on the computer and conference calls all day), and can work remote. People are trying to schedule meetings the the same week following my ablation, which I could take from home, but I don't know how long it will be until I can work a normal workday (albeit from home).

- How long until I'm somewhat 'normal'? For example, one week after my ablation, I have a week-long meeting at work where I will be presenting much of the time, and wonder if I'll be up to it.

- How long until I can exercise again, taking brisk walks where my heart rate typically goes up to about 110 BPM? I don't want to not exercise and put on weight.

- How long until I'm more fully back to normal? For example, four weeks after my ablation, I have a week-long conference to attend in which it's at one of those massive conference centers, where I'll probably put 20,000 steps on my Fitbit a day. I don't know if I'll be pushing myself too much.

One thing I need to ask my doctor about today is the Holter Monitor. I could have sworn he said I'd have to wear one for a very extended period (30 days? 90 days?) and I don't want to travel with it to the conference, dealing with the aggravation. Hopefully I can take it off three weeks post-ablation.

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Re: A few post-ablation recover questions...
August 16, 2018 09:23AM
How long is the typical recovery time, and what are the stages (if any)? I'm in my mid-40s, in reasonable health, exercise frequently (though usually just in the form of 1 hour brisk walks).
:Everyone is different so far as recovery goes so its not easy to put a hard number on it. Following my ablation back on January 6 I had allot of chest discomfort. On January 19th I went to DC to participate in an event. Lots of walking that day and I kind of regretted going.

Following my ablation in July I had more chests pain than January. Probably because of the amount of work done. I flew home a couple days later and opted for wheelchair service. Was glad I did because even at that I was still pretty fatigued by the time I got home. Was pretty tired that entire week as a matter of fact and still got winded pretty quick the following week.

Blanking perioed is 3 months

- How long until I'm back to work? I have a desk job (mostly on the computer and conference calls all day), and can work remote. People are trying to schedule meetings the the same week following my ablation, which I could take from home, but I don't know how long it will be until I can work a normal workday (albeit from home).
I took about 3 weeks off following both ablations this year. IMHO the more time you have to relax following the procedure the better. I have a desk job as well but can be somewhat stressful at times.

- How long until I'm somewhat 'normal'? For example, one week after my ablation, I have a week-long meeting at work where I will be presenting much of the time, and wonder if I'll be up to it.
Personally that seems like allot to me so soon after the ablation. Again everyone is different

- How long until I can exercise again, taking brisk walks where my heart rate typically goes up to about 110 BPM? I don't want to not exercise and put on weight.
I'll quote someone here. "I've never heard anyone say I wish I would have started excercising sooner after my ablation. Personally I wait 3 months before doing any stressful workouts that will raise my HR substatially. I would say 110 BPM is substatial. My resting Heart rate is in teh mid 50's

- How long until I'm more fully back to normal? For example, four weeks after my ablation, I have a week-long conference to attend in which it's at one of those massive conference centers, where I'll probably put 20,000 steps on my Fitbit a day. I don't know if I'll be pushing myself too much.
Following my first ablation back in 2009 I started back to doing spin classes after 3 months. I started back slowely. Did my first century ride 6 months post ablation

One thing I need to ask my doctor about today is the Holter Monitor. I could have sworn he said I'd have to wear one for a very extended period (30 days? 90 days?) and I don't want to travel with it to the conference, dealing with the aggravation. Hopefully I can take it off three weeks post-ablation.
After my first ablation in 2009 I didnt get a monitor until the 6 month point. Folowing the ablation in January I got one in 3 months. Not sure what Dr. Natales protocall is. I beleive it will be 6 month's though

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 06:50PM by rocketritch.
August 16, 2018 10:56AM
rocketritch said:

I'll quote someone here. "I've never heard anyone say I wish I would have started excercising sooner after my ablation.

I think that was me, and I still believe it to be true. I see more people post about triggering an event upon exertion/exercise soon after an ablation.

And again, as you said, everyone is different. I just didn't want to tempt fate and have an episode. Yeah I gained a few pounds, but I stayed in NSR. I've since lost the extra lbs via regular exercise and a fairly healthy diet.
August 16, 2018 11:10AM
Even if you're feeling okay, there's still inflammation for a few months, which gets exacerbated with over exercising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 11:11AM by jpeters.
August 16, 2018 01:48PM
Thanks for asking this... I have a tentative date in a few weeks.
I have a job that is difficult to take time off from... as much as I'd like 3 weeks off it will suck if I need to be gone from work that long.
I also hope to get back to exercising soon-ish. I plan to be skiing this winter!
My doc makes it sound like I should be able to get back to my normal routine pretty quickly, and that the incision site is the usually the most problematic thing.
I'd love to hear what others have experienced!
August 16, 2018 01:51PM
As previously stated everyone is different

For me the recovery was very non-eventful. My Natal ablation was on a Thursday, came home on Friday and back in the office on Monday. He told me to wait 2-3 weeks before I resumed my workout regime. I started back after four with no issues. The only "inconvenience" I experienced was the monitor that I wore for seven days once a quarter for a year......otherwise completely normal activity level.

Steve
Spring, Tx
August 16, 2018 04:02PM
Thanks for the feedback.

When I read Dr. John's blog, he makes the recovery sound like a nightmare. Some of the things I've read now have gotten me a little worried.

Several years back I needed to get a hernia repaired and I saw many warnings of complications and problems, which similarly had me worried - but in the end it turned out to be such an easy procedure with no issues - but obviously not everyone has the same luck.

I appreciate anyone else who wants to share their recovery time & experience.
August 16, 2018 04:13PM
MarkF786
When I read Dr. John's blog, he makes the recovery sound like a nightmare.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion Dr. John is the nightmare.
August 16, 2018 04:35PM
MarkF786

Several years back I needed to get a hernia repaired and I saw many warnings of complications and problems, which similarly had me worried - but in the end it turned out to be such an easy procedure with no issues -

Same idea..even if you feel okay, you know it takes time to heal so take it easy....or you're back for another procedure.
August 16, 2018 04:37PM
AB Page

Frankly, I'm of the opinion Dr. John is the nightmare.

Curious, as someone who is still trying to sort through all the information and resources about this problem (from journal articles to blogs) why do you think he's the night mare?... I might be extra curious about him as he's a local for me. (and likely out of network but I have considered him for second opinions if I think I need one)
August 16, 2018 04:59PM
MarkF786

Recovery from ablations is a breeze for most people. It's a few days of a lifting and exercise restriction, some mildly tender insertion sites, and perhaps a little fatigue. I've had far worse head colds.

Mandrola is a self-promoting writer who makes a practice of making a fool of himself in the EP community. I pity his patients and he's not who I would recommend getting information about afib and ablations from.
August 16, 2018 06:43PM
I had my first ablation with Dr. Natale back in April. I took one week off work. That's it. The first day or two after the procedure I was tired and sore. When I say sore I do not mean in my chest. Right after the procedure and into the evening I did some coughing which is completely normal. By the next day that was pretty much gone. The soreness I'm referring to is my muscles. I've since learned that this is very common too. It felt like I had just gone on a long steep hike. But that too was gone within a couple days. It was nice to have some time off work to relax and contemplate what had just happened. I found it very restorative. I work in an office too and getting back to work was not stressful at all. But I don't know if I could have stood giving presentations. Obviously, we are all different. I will say this for someone on the other side of the ablation, it was absolutely awesome to be in NSR for days and days and days.
August 16, 2018 07:02PM
Carey

Recovery from ablations is a breeze for most people. It's a few days of a lifting and exercise restriction, some mildly tender insertion sites, and perhaps a little fatigue. I've had far worse head colds.

Mandrola is a self-promoting writer who makes a practice of making a fool of himself in the EP community. I pity his patients and he's not who I would recommend getting information about afib and ablations from.

Interesting.. I was revisiting his website last night because the BF and I were talking about him (BF is Japanese so was interested in him from the Asian medicine perspective)... and I had the thought "Do I really trust someone who's selling a book and seems to promote that he has the answers" ... to a problem that does not seem to have simple answers. He also used the word cure, which as best I can tell is a misnomer when it comes to Afib.
Then again I'm still learning and taking much of what I read with a grain of salt.

I also have a skeptical side regarding both 'popular' health advice and medical community advice. Which is why I've been trying to learn so much... I can be a doctor skeptic.. I am however crossing my fingers regarding my doc. He seems to be big wig in the EP community, but I'm still hoping his hands are as good for procedures as his brain is for research.
August 16, 2018 07:11PM
Mandrola is essentially local for me too. I was considering him as well until I started doing my research. I soon took him off my list. The EP I did choose to do my 1st ablation was a very poor choice for me. I am fortunate to now be hitting .500. Natale and TCAI are in-network for me.
August 16, 2018 07:56PM
Oops.... I just realized I got my Dr. Johns mixed up. I'm was thinking about Dr.John Day..... another AFib author. Early on I though Mandrola was interesting..... Then I read his blog post about girl scouts... I then pretty much wrote him off...
August 16, 2018 10:11PM
You’ll be back to work after a week most likely. Giving a presentation should be no problem at all.

20,000 steps on a FitBit is no problem. Go for it!

Ignore Mandrola.
August 17, 2018 12:15AM
bolimasa
He seems to be big wig in the EP community, but I'm still hoping his hands are as good for procedures as his brain is for research.

He's not a bigwig in the EP community at all. He's viewed with disdain there.
August 17, 2018 01:26AM
Carey

He seems to be big wig in the EP community, but I'm still hoping his hands are as good for procedures as his brain is for research.

He's not a bigwig in the EP community at all. He's viewed with disdain there.

You mean Dr John right? My comment that you quoted here was about my EP Dr. Marrouche. He's the one I'm hoping is good.
August 17, 2018 01:36AM
bolimasa

You mean Dr John right? My comment that you quoted here was about my EP Dr. Marrouche. He's the one I'm hoping is good.

I just read his blog. I think he's not convinced ablation works? ....but that doesn't mean you won't think it works....something along that line...

oops...that's Mandrola.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 01:47AM by jpeters.
August 17, 2018 02:18AM
jpeters

I just read his blog. I think he's not convinced ablation works? ....but that doesn't mean you won't think it works....something along that line...

oops...that's Mandrola.
Mandrola does not seem terribly hip on ablation. He seems to be more in the healthy living camp. Nothing against healthy living... But if that's the answer why do healthy people like him have AFib?

My doc, Marrouche, is very pro ablation.
August 17, 2018 08:43AM
bolimasa

Its been a while since I've read anything from Mandrolas Blog. I do beleive his take on ablation recovery is based on a culmination of worse case senario's. I'm not sure how he goes about prefacing his thoughts on it. It could just be that since he is an EP writing a blog that many people read that he wants to put full discosure out there. I'm not defending him just a thought.

I have also had some email correspondence with him many years ago and he was very thoughtful in his responses at the time.

So far as his thoughts on ablation. I am pretty sure that those stem form his own persoal experiences. Again, I dont read his blog anymore so I am not sure where he is with Afib these days. I do know that he had a bout of afib once in his early days while cycling. And it may very well be that he bases his success of keeping it at bay with life style choices on his personal experience. Which, IMHO, is a pretty narrow minded way for anyone to approach things, especially a doctor.

Personally I have no doubt that my overindulgence in excercise, coupled with genetic propencity towards it, lead to me developing afib at such an early age. I also know that haveing my first ablation allowed me to continue on that route for the years following. This time around I will probably make some changes on that front though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 12:42PM by rocketritch.
August 17, 2018 08:45AM
I called my EP's office today and UPenn's protocol is to have patients wear the holter monitor for 30 days afters the ablation! It seems a bit excessive compared to other EP's protocols.

I requested they ask the doctor if I can cut it short a week, since the last week would be a major inconvenience due to other committments.
August 17, 2018 08:57AM
bolimasa

Your doctor is very highly regarded in the EP community. If he is indeed local to you then you've stepped into a gold mine. Your AF journey is likely to be a short one.
August 17, 2018 11:14AM
MarkF786
I called my EP's office today and UPenn's protocol is to have patients wear the holter monitor for 30 days afters the ablation! It seems a bit excessive compared to other EP's protocols.

I requested they ask the doctor if I can cut it short a week, since the last week would be a major inconvenience due to other committments.

Dr. Hongo has patients send in a Life Watch report every day for a week, then once a week through the blanking period. You hold the device to your heart for a few minutes to get a recording, then phone it in by holding it to the phone receiver.
August 17, 2018 12:18PM
wolfpack

Your doctor is very highly regarded in the EP community. If he is indeed local to you then you've stepped into a gold mine. Your AF journey is likely to be a short one.
That is reassuring to hear...
That was my impression from the research I have done... and one of the reasons I just scheduled a date for the ablation... which I kind of feel like I am rushing into, since I was only diagnosed in May... but it seems like much of the current research especially Marrouche's papers indicate that Afib only gets worse,and further damages your heart, and is harder to treat when it is worse.
The fact that I'm relatively young (57), my heart tests have been good... echo pretty normal, echo stress test did not indicate blockages, Utah score of 1 (5% fibrosis), combined with fact that I have access to a good doctor and good insurance makes me think I should "Just do it"

That said, going over all the potential complications with the PA this week does give me pause.

I do feel pretty lucky about the gold mine... I work two buildings over from Marrouche... When I had my initial episode, I walked over to urgent care, they immediately sent me to the ER. The ER arranged to have cardiology call to set up a follow up appointment, They scheduled me with Marrouche. Boyfriend pubmeds AF.. Marrouche pops right up...at the top. We considered that a good sign. So I'm hoping he's as good as his reputation!.

So I keep reminding myself that I am lucky... or as lucky as you can be with suddenly f'd up heart.

This may sound really stupid... but this is a totally stupid thing that makes me feel good... his wife is an artist type. She runs an art center out in PC. I do science for my day job... but I spend much of my free time playing in the art world. So I take that as him associating with good (in my world at least) people, which makes me feel good.
August 17, 2018 03:18PM
bolimasa

I was referring to Dr. Mandrola, yes. Sorry if I misled. Dr. Marrouche is widely respected.
August 17, 2018 08:51PM
If you do proceed with the ablation, please do us a favor and report back on your experiences with Dr. Marrouche. I’ll be “shopping around” my 2nd ablation when the time comes. Knowledge is power!
Ken
August 19, 2018 03:24PM
I was in excellent physical condition when I had my successful ablation 11.5 years ago (age 62). Back to work and normal activity two days after the ablation. Back to normal workouts & weights after one month - Dr.'s advice. Anaerobic threshold came much sooner, but slowly got back to normal in one year. It all depends on your physical and mental state when you have your ablation, so it will vary a lot between individuals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login