Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thinning hair and breakage

Posted by SueChef 
Thinning hair and breakage
August 16, 2018 03:15AM
Four years ago, I had cancer surgery and noticed I was losing a bit more of my wavy locks than normal. I figured it was body stress from the surgery. I was grateful I didn't need chemo and/or radiation. The hair loss seemed to stop after a while so I thought all was ok.

Around the beginning of this year, I noticed A LOT of my hair is falling out and there is some breakage, too! I'm 67, lab work (thyroid etc) normal, I supplement with B vitamins, Biotin, and Vit. D. My meds are lisinopril, metoprolol Ex, Pradaxa, and simvastatin. Only the metoprolol is new, as of July 2017. I'd taken a beta blocker before for a few years, but that was over a decade ago for PVCs which resolved (go figure!)--and I didn't notice any hair problems.

I wear my shoulder-length hair loose, no buns, no ponytails, no braids. I let it air dry, and I don't color it or use hair products.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and if possibly it could be related to my current meds? ... and if so, what are some other options?.

Hair is a woman's crowning glory, and I'm worried!!!

Thanks!
Sue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 05:40AM by SueChef.
Re: Thinning hair and breakage
August 16, 2018 05:20PM
Beta blockers and ACE inhibitors list hair loss as rare side effects, but it's more common with simvastatin so that would be my bet. There are other statins that don't have that side effect. Talk to your doc about switching to something like Crestor.
August 16, 2018 05:53PM
Thanks, Carey! I've been taking simvastatin for a long time, so didn't really consider it...
I appreciate the input!
Sue
August 17, 2018 08:35PM
I had a horribly stressful period in my life and that caused lots of hair loss (I too have long hair that stylists always commented on as "so incredibly rich!") So you can imagine my freak out. Dermatologist told me that things like this happen but that in 3-4 months it would stop, and it did. Doctor suggested B-6, so I've been doing those vitamins and shampoo for over a year, trying to get back to where I was. You mentioned it stopped once. Hopefully it will stop again. I don't have answers, sorry, but I do empathize so much and feel your pain.
Nancy
August 18, 2018 03:48AM
Nancy, thanks for ringing in here, even if you don't have any answers--I appreciated your thought and empathy!
Sue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login