Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Longest episode to date

Posted by MikeH 
Longest episode to date
August 10, 2018 11:23AM
Hello.....I have been taking Flecainide for about 5 years...when AFIB was first diagnosed..the drug helped keep the episodes away for 6 months or so...lately (the last couple of years)...the episodes have increases from monthly to almost weekly. Episodes usually last between 4 - 24 hours. Currently...i am in the 48th hour of an episode...and have been taken the medication as directed.

Any comments / guidance on my next steps...

Thanks Mike
Re: Longest episode to date
August 10, 2018 12:19PM
I'm sorry to say it's what's expected with afib. Drugs lose their efficiency and afib becomes more and more present.
Many here make the choice having an ablation. I don't say you should do so, we're all different and I don't know, beside afib, if you're having other troubles.
If you tell a little more of your story, maybe some people here would help you with good advises.
August 10, 2018 01:47PM
You have an EP or cardiologist? Call them. Ask about a cardioversion.

And I do hope you're on an anticoagulant.
August 10, 2018 02:50PM
Thanks Pompon and Carey

While my cardiologist is on vacation - I have called the office and left a message for the nurse to forward the information to his back up.

Currently taking 325 mg aspirin once a day.

#'s say Type 2 diabetes (taking medication) / marginal high blood pressure (taking medication)

Feels like a normal episode (no chest pain) / can feel it happening / just annoying...just a longer duration.

I know that people are different - just wondering at what point a trip to the ER is warranted.
August 10, 2018 05:35PM
A trip to the ER is warranted when you feel you can't tolerate it any longer. Unfortunately, since you're not on an anticoagulant the ER probably won't cardiovert you since you've been in afib over 48 hours. However, they probably will give you cardiazem or a beta blocker, which will slow the rate down and make it less uncomfortable.

You need to find a good EP. Aspirin is not effective at preventing strokes caused by afib and any EP would know that.
August 10, 2018 07:32PM
Take some minerals; Magnesium, Potassium, a little good salt in good water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 07:32PM by Catherine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login