Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation Scheduled - Odd Question?

Posted by MarkF786 
Ablation Scheduled - Odd Question?
July 31, 2018 09:54PM
I've had symptomatic paroxysmal afib for about 6 years now, and have had about 50+ occurrences of afib during that time. Sometimes it can be up to 9 months between episodes, though more typically it happens monthly, and sometimes weekly or more. I’ve been following the strategies listed on this website since the problem first began with some success, though I also used flecainide pill-in-the-pocket (300mg). But about a year ago I started on 50mg/day of flecainide (once at night since my afib is vagal and typically occurs while asleep).

Sadly, the flecainide often makes me feel like cr*p in the morning - even worse when I need to take 300mg - so I haven’t wanted to increase the frequency or dose. I’ve grown tired of not knowing if I’ll feel like cr*p any given morning - and still the afib continues to occur - so I’ve been thinking it’s time for an ablation, though still I feel somewhat nervous. I’m in my mid-40s and in reasonably good health, which along with my afib still relatively infrequent seems to increase the chance of success.

I met with Dr. Fermin Garcia @ Penn today (my first visit was last year, but decided to try daily medication for a year before proceeding with the ablation). He’s seems to be a nice guy; I joked with him saying that I’ve heard he’s one of the best at performing ablations, though Natale is supposedly the best - to which he laughed and said he was just talking to Dr. Natale last night and they’re good friends and have worked together.

Anyway, Dr. Garcia answered all my questions - though I still feel there are some I’ve forgotten. If there’s any of ‘due diligence’ you’d recommend before proceeding, please let me know.

One nagging question I still have though, I don’t think most EPs would provide a good answer to, or even fully appreciate. Since the late 90s I’ve read about the research being done at the HeartMath Institute, on other functions of the heart in the areas of emotions or even what some might consider ’spirituality’. It seems to be an evolving area of research, and is certainly controversial, though I do believe there is some truth to it. My question is if there may be other lesser-known impacts of a catheter ablation in these other functions of the heart. I think back to various other procedures and surgeries used by doctors in the past, later found to have unexpected consequences and generally abandoned within medicine; I wonder if such a possibility exists with ablations. Any thoughts? I did email Dr. Rollin McCraty, the head of research at HeartMath for his opinions, though it may be a long shot that he’ll respond.
Re: Ablation Scheduled - Odd Question?
July 31, 2018 10:27PM
I can say that since having had 2 ablations, the most recent by Natale and continued NSR since, and being 36 hours from a Watchman, I appreciate life one heck of a lot more and take less for granted. Whether that originates in my spirituality, my brain, my heart or elsewhere I dunno. Life is better, and the world is a better place because of people like Shannon, Dr. Natale, and the good people at TCAI/St. David’s.
July 31, 2018 11:35PM
I've been dealing with AFib since my mid twenties. Mild in the early days and progressed to the point I could no longer do the things I enjoyed.
Im a cyclist and was racking up a out 3000-5000 miles a year. In 2009 I couldn't ride 20 miles a week so I had my first ablation done and it gave me my life back.
But we all know it's a progressive issue so I had a second ablation be done this past January and my third 11 days ago by Dr. Natale. To me the ablation was an easy choice.
I have no doubt that emotion and the mind can play a part though. In the early days just talking about it could put me out of rhythm. I also had a fellow cyclist at the time that had AFib. He was able to calm his heart with meditation. And even though that helped him it didn't keep him from going out if rhythm.
August 01, 2018 12:39AM
rocketritch
He was able to calm his heart with meditation. And even though that helped him it didn't keep him from going out if rhythm.

I've been meditating for decades, and noticed after every blissful session I felt worse. Walking and exercise worked, but neither approached putting me back in rhythm.

Any thoughts? I did email Dr. Rollin McCraty, the head of research at HeartMath for his opinions, though it may be a long shot that he’ll respond.
They sell products that won't work for afib (emWave), as they state. "HeartMath products are used for stress reduction purposes." You can't relax away afib, although it's part of a healthy lifestyle like exercise and good diet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 01:04AM by jpeters.
August 01, 2018 11:06AM
rocketritch

I have no doubt that emotion and the mind can play a part though. In the early days just talking about it could put me out of rhythm. I also had a fellow cyclist at the time that had AFib. He was able to calm his heart with meditation. And even though that helped him it didn't keep him from going out if rhythm.

The trigger of my very first afib episode was emotional: home alarm ringing at 2:00 am. I've had some emotional triggers since that, but they're only a very small part of my 200+ afib episodes.
What I often see is my PACs getting worse if I bother about them or record them with my portable ECG.

Meditation is not for me; but yoga postures, exercices and breathing techniques are relaxing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login