Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stomach gassy/bloating, affecting heart and causing PACs?

Posted by DavrosT 
Stomach gassy/bloating, affecting heart and causing PACs?
July 27, 2018 03:50AM
Hi guys,

Anybody else ever have late night stomach issues that affect their heart and cause PACs/ectopics?

I've had all kinds of health things recently, but my heart had been relatively quiet for a few months. This, obviously, has been a blessing.

However, last night I had read a book in bed for an hour and put it away to go to sleep. No sooner had I lay down that I started feeling strange sensations in my chest. I've had this before, as I have recently (last few months or so) started experience a change in my stomach/bowel so I've switched to gluten/wheat/milk free (mostly) diet. Shortly afterwards, my heart become slightly elevated and I was experiencing PACs every 1-2 minutes.

Now, I know there are those that experience many worse symptoms than this, so I apologise for seeming dramatic. But you have to understand, when you have not had a huge problem for a while, experiencing even minor PACs/ectopics can be quiet jarring and make you wonder what it is that's caused this.

Anyway, I started getting myself stressed out, which probably made matters 10 times worse and spent a good hour or two sitting up in bed. Absolutely knackered today and I feel very bloated and worn out.

I've had a browse and noticed that there are many links between stomach/bowel issues and afib (diagnosed and ablated around 14 months ago). Is this something anybody else suffers with, and how are the two connected?

Thanks all..
Re: Stomach gassy/bloating, affecting heart and causing PACs?
July 27, 2018 08:32AM
Davros - There are numerous contributors to what may cause various types of 'gastric distress.'

Among the first, would be assessing what food or drink you've consumed for the evening meal and any snacks or drinks before getting in bed. This speaks directly to whether or not you are making enough natural stomach acid to manage the last input. If not, then the typical result is gas and bloating because the food can't be broken down properly. That bloating can stimulate 'unrest' in the heart with PACs etc. There are supplemental digestive enzymes and nutrients that help support the production of your own natural stomach acid production.

Another factor might be a physical impingement from your posture while sitting in bed for an hour and that impact on the diaphragm which is innervated by the Vagus nerve. It's well known that when the vagus is irritated or is crimped or impinged by posture, heart activity can be the result. You might try sitting in a chair for better posture to read to help eliminate the postural issue. I realize that's not as relaxing but worth a try to see if you can rule out the diaphragm factor. If you have any ‘girth’ to your midsection, the bed posture could definitely be a contributing factor to the potential impingement issue.

Here are links to two reports from the Afib Resources section titled No More Heartburn and Digestive Wellness that may offer some tips that may be helpful for you to sort out the sources of the disruption.
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
Sam
July 27, 2018 12:08PM
Speaking as a Physiotherapist - don' read in bed!
July 27, 2018 02:30PM
I agree with the answers here above.
Since 2015, I've had my share of bad nights caused by ectopics and afib.
I'm healthy, but my lower esophageal valve is weak, so I've to fight against stomach reflux. I've no heartburn, but reflux can cause ectopics and sometimes afib.
Conversely, when my heart is out of rhythm - say, when I start exercice abruptly -, my stomach is quickly bloated.
My digestive enzymes seem okay, I don't eat late in the evening. As Jackie explains, body position is an issue, especially after meal. At home it's okay, I may have a walk or stand up for a while after meal. At work, I often have ectopics, because sitting at my desk squashes my stomach and this can pinch my vagus nerve.
I'm now used to go to bed only to sleep. If I wake up, I'm better standing up than staying in bed without sleeping.
I don't read in bed. I don't lay down soon after meal. If I sit down, I take care not squashing my stomach. I like sitting like a Yogi to watch the TV.
July 27, 2018 04:27PM
Yes, also working digestive issue. Stopped all non-fiber carbohydrates and find need 2-3 betaine HCL to process meal with meat/kale salad.
Am told age (77) makes a need for more HCL to supplement, also now have to ADD salt to keep reasonable blood pressure.
Down 20 pounds with 15 to go to get rid of gut that was not helping give everything inside some room.
July 27, 2018 05:17PM
Well, the meal I ate prior to bed was gluten free bread, 2 eggs and a half tin of tinned tomatoes. None of those appear to be 'triggers' for me, and I've had them many times without issue. Obviously, things can change though, so.. I've also started to watch what I eat a lot in the past 6 months, due to the slight impact it seemed to be having on my heart health.

Also, with regards the Vagus nerve I had read quite a bit about that and have definitely noticed a connection for myself personally. My first real instance of afib was following a serious bout of vomiting, and I've also tried to change my posture a lot.

Regarding girth, I have to say, I'm actually at my slimmest and healthiest in 10 years. I've lost around 21lbs in the past 18 months and I'm down to about 135lbs (I'm not tall haha).

I've been taking Ranitidine for a few weeks, which seems to help and I've got some 'Wind Eze' today to help with the bloating and gassy feeling. Just hope I can sleep tonight! I will try to change my sleeping posture tonight though..

Jackie
Davros - There are numerous contributors to what may cause various types of 'gastric distress.'

Among the first, would be assessing what food or drink you've consumed for the evening meal and any snacks or drinks before getting in bed. This speaks directly to whether or not you are making enough natural stomach acid to manage the last input. If not, then the typical result is gas and bloating because the food can't be broken down properly. That bloating can stimulate 'unrest' in the heart with PACs etc. There are supplemental digestive enzymes and nutrients that help support the production of your own natural stomach acid production.

Another factor might be a physical impingement from your posture while sitting in bed for an hour and that impact on the diaphragm which is innervated by the Vagus nerve. It's well known that when the vagus is irritated or is crimped or impinged by posture, heart activity can be the result. You might try sitting in a chair for better posture to read to help eliminate the postural issue. I realize that's not as relaxing but worth a try to see if you can rule out the diaphragm factor. If you have any ‘girth’ to your midsection, the bed posture could definitely be a contributing factor to the potential impingement issue.

Here are links to two reports from the Afib Resources section titled No More Heartburn and Digestive Wellness that may offer some tips that may be helpful for you to sort out the sources of the disruption.
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
July 27, 2018 05:18PM
It's hard not to! Only thing that sends me off to sleep sometimes.

Sam
Speaking as a Physiotherapist - don' read in bed!
July 27, 2018 05:25PM
I've rarely suffered with esophageal issues but I definitely think it's a new prob for me. Reflux also, but suffer little-to-no heartburn. I've had a fair few bouts of reflux-like symptoms in recent months but last night was the first time I'd experienced the ectopics as a side-effect like that. Really stressed me out when it happened.

Eating late is something I have to get to serious grips with. Finding that hard to adjust to but I will do. But my general posture could use some work too. As a compromise, I may try propping myself up in bed to read and then seeing how that helps.

Pompon
I agree with the answers here above.
Since 2015, I've had my share of bad nights caused by ectopics and afib.
I'm healthy, but my lower esophageal valve is weak, so I've to fight against stomach reflux. I've no heartburn, but reflux can cause ectopics and sometimes afib.
Conversely, when my heart is out of rhythm - say, when I start exercice abruptly -, my stomach is quickly bloated.
My digestive enzymes seem okay, I don't eat late in the evening. As Jackie explains, body position is an issue, especially after meal. At home it's okay, I may have a walk or stand up for a while after meal. At work, I often have ectopics, because sitting at my desk squashes my stomach and this can pinch my vagus nerve.
I'm now used to go to bed only to sleep. If I wake up, I'm better standing up than staying in bed without sleeping.
I don't read in bed. I don't lay down soon after meal. If I sit down, I take care not squashing my stomach. I like sitting like a Yogi to watch the TV.
July 28, 2018 08:13PM
Activated charcoal should help with that. It seem to work better than apple cider vinegar with me, when i rarely need it.
July 29, 2018 01:21AM
afibbers
Activated charcoal should help with that. It seem to work better than apple cider vinegar with me, when i rarely need it.

You actually take activated charcoal? How much do you take and in what form? I'm only familiar with it as an emergency intervention for poisonings.
July 29, 2018 04:18AM
afibbers

I see that this comes in tablet form, did not even know it existed. Thanks, I will check this out!
July 29, 2018 01:27PM
Afibbers - Great reminder about the alkalizing effect of the activated charcoal. Once again, this goes directly to the importance and benefits of alkaline tissue pH.

Jackie
July 31, 2018 07:50AM
I get it in capsule form. Any health food store has it. Search it. Activated Charcoal should be in every bodies supplement arsenal. If i ever get any type of food borne, illness, Diarrhea etc, that is the 1st thing i reach for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 08:01AM by afibbers.
July 31, 2018 12:35PM
afibbers
What does activated charcoal ? Is it antacid ?
July 31, 2018 08:24PM
Watch some of these video's about it.
[www.youtube.com]
Look into Coconut Activated Charcoal. Have not used it yet, but it sounds great. Its made from coconut hulls.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login