Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Berberine for AF

Posted by Jackie 
Berberine for AF
July 19, 2018 09:18AM
Antimicrobial Natural Product Berberine Is Efficacious for the Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.
Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:3146791. doi: 10.1155/2017/3146791. Epub 2017 Dec 17.
Zheng H1, Zhu F1, Miao P1, Mao Z1, Redfearn DP2, Cao RY1.

Abstract
The purpose of this study is to test the efficacy of bioactive natural product berberine in the treatment of patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). Data of 45 paroxysmal AF patients treated with berberine and 43 age, gender, New York Heart Association functional classification score, and concomitant cardiovascular disease matched patients treated with amiodarone were analyzed retrospectively to examine conversion rate, average conversion time, average heart rate, and echocardiographic parameters. There was no statistical difference between berberine and amiodarone on conversion rate or echocardiographic parameters.

Berberine treatment showed a significantly longer average time to conversion and higher heart rate during sinus rhythm (SR) than amiodarone. Echocardiographic parameters showed that E/A ratio and left atrial diameter were significantly improved after 6- and 12-month berberine treatment, but only E/A ratio improved significantly at the same time points after amiodarone treatment.

This is the first report to specifically compare efficacy of berberine and amiodarone in the treatment of patients with AF. We find that berberine and amiodarone are equally effective for conversion of AF and maintenance of normal SR.

PMID: 29392132
PMCID: PMC5748134
DOI: 10.1155/2017/3146791
Re: Berberine for AF
July 19, 2018 03:11PM
I find this very interesting. The risk of taking berberine for a year (per the study) or indefinitely vs. amioderone is extremely low.

From the full paper:

2.2. Outcome Assessment. The primary outcome was presence
of SR after antiarrhythmic treatment with berberine or
amiodarone at 1, 3, 6, and 12 months. The secondary outcome
included average time from onset of therapy to conversion
of AF to SR and heart rate in SR after successful treatment.
The third outcome consisted of Doppler echocardiographic
parameters E/A ratio (ratio of the early to late ventricular
filling velocities) and left atrial diameter (LAD) measured at
the follow-up time points of 1, 3, 6, and 12 months. The fourth
endpoints were adverse events.

The average time to achieve SR in the patients
given berberine was significantly longer than that in amiodarone
group (356 ± 135 versus 211 ± 126 min, p < 0.01).

I'd take the longer conversion time vs taking amio!

Also the fact that 77% of the berberine patients stayed in rhythm during the next year is amazing!!

Berberine is commonly used as a supplement instead metformin of for T2 diabetics to control blood sugar. It has about the same efficacy without the negatives.

Thanks Jackie!

George

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 03:15PM by GeorgeN.
July 19, 2018 04:14PM
I'm in my 2nd month of 3 taking berberine supplement to see if it lowers my A1C. I'm not type 2 but I would like to reduce my numbers. I've already probably skewed my numbers by hitting the gym every day, losing 10-15 lbs and not eating sweets and few carbs so it's not exactly scientific. I'm kind of expecting really, really good numbers spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 19, 2018 04:25PM
Very interesting find Jackie. What brand of berberine would you recommend and at what quantity per day?

Is this ‘just’ one isolated article, or is there other stuff out there on this? Wow; if this is as good as it looks it totally blows Amio out of the water.....
July 19, 2018 04:43PM
July 19, 2018 05:26PM
I might give it another try reading this.....but my 1st try about 2 years ago made absol. no diff. in my condition and i went for about 2 months on it without a stitch of change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 05:27PM by vanlith.
July 19, 2018 10:05PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that berberine was what kept me in rhythm for the 9 months or so before my Natale ablation. I started it when my AF began acting up nearly every day. Over the course of a couple of weeks after I started berberine, I noticed that my AF was tapering off, and within a month, I had no more attacks. I really thought that I'd killed the beast.

Eventually, however, it came back, and I made the trip to Austin. I haven't had any AF since that ablation, now about 15 months past. I do, however, continue to take berberine for its general health benefits, including AMPK activation. I don't need it for A1C, I'm 6'0", 170 lbs, hike 3 miles or more a day with 1000' rise minimum (I'm actually much more active after the ablation) and eat a low-is carb, highly unprocessed diet.

A couple of important notes for those considering berberine:

1. Berberine is a cytochrome p450 inhibitor, which, in English, means that it interferes with the metabolic processes needed to break down many drugs. I'd be very cautious with berberine if you're taking prescription meds. I stopped berberine long before the Eliquis and Multaq, and did not start it up again until I was off those drugs. I currently do not take any prescription medications, but I do take the usual AF supplements per the Strategy.

2. Cycling the berberine to ensure that you can detox effectively may be a good idea. I run 8 days on, 2 days off, 1500mg a day in 3 divided doses when on. YMMV. I am not a doctor. Do not take my health advice, yada yada, all the usual disclaimers.

For more general info on berberine, the examine.com article is actually quite good: https://examine.com/supplements/berberine/

And yeah, I know, this is a lot of work, and AF is a pain in the rear end, but if my experience helps someone, I'm happy to share it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 10:09PM by JKAF.
July 20, 2018 02:47PM
What is the mechanism for anti-arrhythmic action in berberine? I understand it functions on the liver to prevent glucose formation much like metformin, but I'm unaware of any cardioselective activity.
July 20, 2018 04:26PM
Hi Mike - When I came across this study, I offered it here because it looks to be a good substitute- at least to try first before resorting to amiodarone with all those side effects.

As for dosing, I’ve only seen recommendations for using Berberine to help regulate glucose and insulin response for which it has been noted in many studies to be very effective. The Designs for Health professional grade supplements lists the dose at 400 mg. a day along with 100 mg alpha lipoic acid.

Naturopathic physician, Michael Murray has written on Berberine at these two links:
[doctormurray.com]
[enzymedica.com]
Note the study references in the second link.

Also, note #4 Xia, L.M., Luo, M.H. (2015, Dec.). Study progress of berberine for treating cardiovascular disease. Chronic Diseases and Translational Medicine. 1(4): 231–235.

Jackie

Oops.. .forgot to include the use of berberine for lowering cholesterol, diabetic nephropathy and neuropathy and a whole host of other diabetes related conditions... plus many others including one on "Berberine-induced senescence of human glioblastoma cells." A very versatile and beneficial herbal.

And one Berberine regulates proliferation, collagen synthesis and cytokine secretion of cardiac fibroblasts via AMPK-mTOR-p70S6K signaling pathway....noted as promising - Berberine might become a new strategy for treating cardiac fibrosis in the future.

I have a long list of Berberine study results if you want to view them, let me know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2018 04:38PM by Jackie.
July 20, 2018 08:42PM
I bought some today. Will report back on it.
July 21, 2018 03:52PM
Great stuff! Thanks, Jackie, as always.

--Lance
Joe
July 22, 2018 12:33AM
Interesting as always, Jackie!
Dr Terry Wahls mention a study that shows if one's A1C level are > 5.2 for extended periods?, brain shrinkage is observed. So, maybe another benefit taking Berberine (if one isn't prepared to make the required dietary changes which would be cheaper and no doubt even better).
BTW. she recommends < 5.
July 22, 2018 09:15AM
Joe
Interesting as always, Jackie!
Dr Terry Wahls mention a study that shows if one's A1C level are > 5.2 for extended periods?, brain shrinkage is observed. So, maybe another benefit taking Berberine (if one isn't prepared to make the required dietary changes which would be cheaper and no doubt even better).
BTW. she recommends < 5.

Yep, & heart (CVD) disease starts above 5.0 also. There are data that suggest it is the excess insulin that is the issue, not the glucose per se. The only way to deal with excess insulin is lifestyle - fasting & what you eat...
July 28, 2018 01:47AM
Taking with Milk Thistle appears to re-leave liver toxicity and increase absorption.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login