Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pre-ablation Apixaban to get rid of any possible thrombus - does it work for everyone?

Posted by mwcf 
Pre-ablation Apixaban to get rid of any possible thrombus - does it work for everyone?
July 15, 2018 03:38PM
Hi all,

I’m currently taking Apixaban prior to ablation (by Prof. Jais at Bordeaux) in another 5 weeks (been on it for 3 weeks so far). With warfarin my INR would be monitored and kept between 2 and 3. But apparently no such need with Apixaban.....so how do I know it’s working for me? I’m 220 pounds and 6’ 4” and take the usual 5mg BID. I’ll be having a TEE in the morning with the ablation in the afternoon, and I really don’t want to fail the TEE! That said, my last AF was 6 weeks ago and lasted just 2 1/2 hours, so I don’t consider myself at much of a risk of having a LAA thrombus on TEE. Nonetheless I do find myself wondering....without monitoring how do I know that Apixaban is working for me? Particularly given I’m a big bloke just on a normal dose. I certainly don’t notice any increased bleeding or bruising. Or - as usual - am I just overthinking this!

Any views most welcome!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 03:40PM by mwcf.
<[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Laboratory Measurement of the Anticoagulant Activity of the Target-specific Oral Anticoagulant Agents: A Systematic Review
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login