Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zio patch

Posted by SueChef 
Zio patch
July 11, 2018 04:18AM
I had been having a bunch of different-feeling heartbeats lately including tachycardia, some heartbeats feel like fluttering, some are PVCs, some short a-fib feeling things, and some that wake me up around 4:00 a.m., and some that just feel fluttery if I'm in bed lying on my left side, so I asked my EP to please order a Zio patch for me, as I'd like to know more details about my heart and it's rhythms. I'm hoping that Murphy's Law will not prevail, as sometimes, I can go weeks without feeling anything weird--so maybe nothing is going on except a regular HB.

I'm wearing the Zio patch for two weeks. I read online that the data generates 3,000 pages (?) and the actual report is usually 15 pages.

I've already requested that my EP send me the full report when he gets it and reviews it, reminded him I like details, and mentioned that if I had any questions, I'd make an appointment for a consultation with him.

Has anyone worn a Zio patch and received the "formal" report?
What kinds of things surprised you about the data in the document?
Is there anything I should know about this technology and what kinds of things, specifically, like different kinds of beats, it will show or if it will show a pattern of anything?

Just as an aside, my sister and I went to the Kenny Loggins concert at Agua Caliente last weekend, we sat in the 4th row from the stage (it was a lovely small-ish venue), his voice is as good as ever and he sang all the songs we knew and enjoyed--but I'm glad I brought ear plugs.

HOWEVER, I could feel my chest vibrating during some of the songs (guitars and drums)--and sat with my arms crossed across my chest for most of the concert, hoping that would block some of the sound vibrations. Thankfully, no increase in a-fib or ectopics that I noticed, and my Zio didn't light up.

Thanks!
Sue
Re: Zio patch
July 12, 2018 09:01AM
This new tech. looks promising to diag. new or mild afib. cases.

However diag. afib is just the beginning /small part of it.

The big part is fixing it.......but 1 has to find the problem 1st....Gl.

Another sugg. i can give you if this fails......is what i did to get the ball rolling....... get hooked up to a reg. 24 hour holter monitor and slightly before your hooked up....eat foods that in the past made your heart act up...drink things like caffeine/alcohol.... do activities like certain ex. have sleep deprivation from the night before or like you said lie on your left side once your hooked up....anything you know that in the past that has made your heart go wacky......i got my heart to go in afib for 13 hours out of the 24...ya no fun but it all got recorded and read by a heart spec. and it got me on the right path medically/tech so it was well worth it.
July 13, 2018 03:27AM
Hi, vanlith, and thanks for the reply. I have been hooked up to a 24 hr Holder monitor--the results indicated that I have PVCs, which I knew, but no episodes of a-fib while I was hooked up.

I've been doing much the same things I always do, with this Zio patch on.... the only connection I can make with what I do and when my heart goes wacky is at around 4 in the morning, if I'm lying on my left side. That's the only connection I can make--and it usually wakes me up out of a sound sleep. I've never been smoker, a coffee drinker, or even soda aficionado & I don't do alcohol, so there're not connections there, but the idea was good. smiling bouncing smiley

Wow, you got your heart to go in to a-fib for 13 hours out of 24--that's really something deliberate but y'know, anything that gets ya on the right path so things can be addresses is good.

Sue
July 13, 2018 10:00AM
A Zio patch is exactly the same thing as a Holter monitor; it's just a newer design. Catching an episode takes as long as it takes. I wore a Holter for 28 days in 2010 before it finally caught an episode. It takes as long as it takes.
July 13, 2018 03:21PM
SueChef
Hi, vanlith, and thanks for the reply. I have been hooked up to a 24 hr Holder monitor--the results indicated that I have PVCs, which I knew, but no episodes of a-fib while I was hooked up.

I've been doing much the same things I always do, with this Zio patch on.... the only connection I can make with what I do and when my heart goes wacky is at around 4 in the morning, if I'm lying on my left side. That's the only connection I can make--and it usually wakes me up out of a sound sleep. I've never been smoker, a coffee drinker, or even soda aficionado & I don't do alcohol, so there're not connections there, but the idea was good. smiling bouncing smiley

Wow, you got your heart to go in to a-fib for 13 hours out of 24--that's really something deliberate but y'know, anything that gets ya on the right path so things can be addresses is good.

Sue[/quote

Hi sue....well i see your up at 3:30am...is that afib induced if so that info should be caught on the recording cause you are still wearing that patch right....well 2 thoughts...1....if lying on your left side brings this on then as long as you are being recorded then PARK yourself in that position when you go to bed and not move until you believe the technician reading the tape has plenty of irregular beats and runs of Arrythmia's to read.....2......if that's the only thing that gets heart going irregular your lucky.....i can speak for most in this forum who would say it takes them and I a hell of a lot less to go into full unmistakable AFIB unless of course they have had a visit with Dr. Natale (which i will be doing around thanksgiving) or a select few other world class ep's. You obv. have something....prob. early afib so if that comes out clear in your readouts don't wait i would say more than 1 year before scheduling an ablation.....and use that year to try natural things (No drugs unless its PIP) that are too numerous to mention here.....to help it cause you might be 1 of the lucky ones who can find total relief through natural means esp. since you are early in your journey since your heart is not so remodeled yet as the doctors say but 1st things 1st get your results and go from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 03:24PM by vanlith.
July 13, 2018 11:01PM
Carey, thanks for ringing in here!

Vanlith, I've been trying to "park" myself smiling smiley in that position, lying on my left side, so I can confirm positional issues around 4-ish a.m., but I don't always stay in that position once I fall asleep--I'm wearing the Zio patch for two weeks, until next TuesdayJuly 17th.

You obv. have something....prob. early afib so if that comes out clear in your readouts don't wait i would say more than 1 year before scheduling an ablation

Question: Would an EP do an ablation if it's "not indicated" due to how infrequently the a-fib shows up?

I sure do wish Kaiser had a world class EP on staff.

It's really weird--in retrospect, I've had PVCs since my 30s, with about a decade on tenormin (atenolol) then that resolved and I was off the meds for decades without PVCs (that I noticed). Now the PVCs are back, but certainly not as frequently as when I was first dx--maybe b/c of the metoprolol that I'm now taking. Thanks again for your input!

Edited to clarify.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 11:02PM by SueChef.
July 14, 2018 12:48AM
SueChef
Question: Would an EP do an ablation if it's "not indicated" due to how infrequently the a-fib shows up?

There's no medical definition of what level of afib burden makes treatment indicated. So the answer is yes, most EPs would do an ablation for very infrequent afib because they know it will only become more frequent with time.

There was a long period of six years when I experienced one or two episodes per year that always terminated in six hours or less on its own. I did nothing about it. And then they started to become more frequent, and within two years they were happening weekly and lasting twice as long. That's what afib does, so that's why there's no such thing as "not indicated" due to infrequency.
July 14, 2018 03:32AM
Hi, Carey,
Thanks so much for elaborating on this for me!
Sue
July 14, 2018 02:30PM
Sue,
I'm in the same boat you are. I'm four days away from finishing a 30 monitoring. I too will want to see the report. While it's clear I have some AFib, it seems like what I really have is tons off PACs. The 24 hr holter after my ER visit at the beginning of this mess had me at 0.03% AFib and nearly 20% PACs. I suspect the 30 day results will be a similar. I know I'm still frequently out of rhythm since the doc's office called to move my next appointment up. I think they are worried about tachycardia. I know I had one short episode when I'm pretty sure I was afibing and my heart rate went up, other than that I think it only was up when I was exerting myself, like hiking uphill, or at the top of stairs at work. I'm a stair gal, and I do feel it at the top. (100-130 stairs depending on which floor I start. I'm wondering if the monitor can work that out. I don't want to take meds just because I take stairs and hike!
This is all so vexing!
I wish the monitor provide data to me in real time.
I really don't want to take unnecessary meds. Of course I don't want to go into heart failure either.
July 14, 2018 05:21PM
SueChef
Carey, thanks for ringing in here!

Vanlith, I've been trying to "park" myself smiling smiley in that position, lying on my left side, so I can confirm positional issues around 4-ish a.m., but I don't always stay in that position once I fall asleep--I'm wearing the Zio patch for two weeks, until next TuesdayJuly 17th.

You obv. have something....prob. early afib so if that comes out clear in your readouts don't wait i would say more than 1 year before scheduling an ablation

I sure do wish Kaiser had a world class EP on staff.

It's really weird--in retrospect, I've had PVCs since my 30s, with about a decade on tenormin (atenolol) then that resolved and I was off the meds for decades without PVCs (that I noticed). Now the PVCs are back, but certainly not as frequently as when I was first dx--maybe b/c of the metoprolol that I'm now taking. Thanks again for your input!

Edited to clarify.[/quote

Sue got your message TY
Well there is 1 thing you said here that i did not see before......METOPROLOL......thats a game changer in this conversation .......now your patch ends in few days so it to late now but by you taking drugs while trying to locate a possible afib and find out its severity for a monitor is kinda of muddy's the waters here. Its like a masking agent for an athlete on prohibited drugs in a way. I think the best way to be monitored is cold turkey....NO DRUGS so you and the doctors can see the full extent of your problem.....so the MET. might make your life easier day to day but it is making the discovery of the problem harder to find.
I would take a few weeks or less to get off the MET. then take notes on what you eat, drink, ect everything you do off the MET that sets you off.......then either go back on the patch or get a 24 hour holter.....then go to town on everything you have learned that your heart does not like.....1 tip i can give you is go have a big feast at a chinese rest. loaded with MSG and if you don't drink coffee as i think i read earlier than eat like a 1/4 pound of chocolate loaded with caffeine after your chinese meal. If your heart can stand those 2 afib juggarnauts then it's going to be sometime before your in for some serious afib and congrats but if not you accomplished 2 things....1.....you got your heart to go really wacky for the tech. reading your monitor and 2......you had a hell of a good time doing it. What i would not give to not eat for about 36 hours then go to a chinese rest. or order in about 75 dollars worth of chinese food and stuff myself.......then go on and eat half a dozen aero or hershey bars afterward.
So finding your ticker's malady is not hard at all off the drugs or even on it to some degree come to think of it....SUE you still have 3 day's left on your patch....if you read this before that....go to town TONIGHT or TOMORROW.....if your heart even on the drug MET can withstand the huge amounts of MSG and caffeine i suggested above then congrats but it prob. will not esp. if you go to bed lying on you left side with a pillow or something jammed up ag. your back so you must remain in that pos. all night....put you heart to the test vs these afib monsters esp. now that you have a little helper aka MET. to keep your heart from not beating too fast....sounds like fun to me....take 1 for your heart and enjoy....you and your monitor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 05:26PM by vanlith.
July 15, 2018 04:09AM
Hi, Randy,

I sent you another PM.

Thanks for your updated reply to my thread.... Now why the h3ll didn't my EP tell me to be OFF the metoprolol before I got the Zio????? Your input makes logical sense...why isn't my EP smart like that?????? I guess the kind of positive note is that even with the metoprolol, I still have weird heart beats/rhythms.

Oh, goodness! Yes, the MSG in Chinese food, years ago, put my heart into some major tachycardia for hours!

Your memory is correct--I don't drink coffee, but having chocolate -- as an experiment, of course! -- would be a good idea except for the insomnia, but hey, I have that anyway ha ha !

I have to tell you, quitting metoprolol cold turkey and then going into a-fib by being off my meds really scares me b/c of the probable hospitalization due to uncontrolled a-fib like last July when this was first diagnosed and I wasn't even on met. at that time, and while there in the hospital, if I don't convert, they'll have to do a cardioversion, which scares me, too! In the hospital, calcium channel blockers didn't work at all, and it took hours for the beta blocker to work. Meanwhile, I was having shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness, feeling odd mentally, and I know I was scared because I kept having to use the bathroom and that was a fear response.

Your idea of fun, Randy.... LOL, you're far more adventurous than I am! I'm not very brave.
July 15, 2018 11:39AM
Sue i would look into asking your doctor for propafenone as used in the PIP mode.
I know exactly what your talking about the fear of having a violent Arrhythmia when either off your meds or after eating something ect. I tried a few daily type drugs a few years ago but got off them quick cause of side effects....bisoprolol being the worst and they did not prevent my afib anyway just made the ep. less violent....now that i take propafenone as needed per episode it is an unbel. relief knowing that when i get an ARR. i just pop a pill at home and its over shortly and not have to worry about the whole hosp. thing that i went through a few times until i found my new best friend (temp...until my natale visit hopefully) with 0 side effects if only taken when afib hits. I am not sure how you would swing the getting off Met. and going the PIP mode if that's what you and your doctor choose but you have the right idea in the 1st place like me......F. these drugs fix it burn it torch it into oblivion......so if its not in the cards in the next few days to get a good readout for the tech. on your patch maybe in the near future with the PIP regiment in hand where you are pretty much in total control of an Afib ep. that pops up then you can indulge or do something to make your heart go wacky when your on a new patch or holter.
I have no idea how i could have lived the last 2 years of my life without this pop and no worry drug when Afib rears its ugly head.....no more anxiety when either i get it or as was mentioned earlier thinking about what happens when it comes then what....i am always ready now.
July 15, 2018 03:17PM
Hi, Randy,

Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your experiences!

I think I'll just keep things as is for now, turn in the Zio on Tues, wait for the report to get to my EP, wait for him to let me know what's what (I've already requested that he email me the entire report)., followup with my EP, and then ask about PIP.

I'll have to do some research prior to that EP consultation so I'll know a little something about going off the Met. and doing PIP.
I have to know a little more in case he tries to suggest something that's "off" (i.e. when I saw a cardiologist, which was a hoop to jump through in order to get a referral to an EP, the cardiologist strongly suggested that I take digitalis, which I know is contraindicated for me, my age, etc!!! The cardiologist should have known that!!!).

My insurance is problematic... I have the best of two options for Kaiser through my former school district, and if I ever decide to switch to the lesser of the two options, I can never go back to the best one. Switching insurances to go outside of Kaiser can be problematic b/c I don't know if the other options include Dr. Natale so more research is needed, although the district seems to switch things up every couple of years. Paying out of pocket for Natale, as you know, is a concern in terms of budgeting and such--I'm lucky I live in the San Diego area, b/c Natale works out of La Jolla here and that's close!
July 15, 2018 06:20PM
SueChef
Switching insurances to go outside of Kaiser can be problematic b/c I don't know if the other options include Dr. Natale so more research is needed,

Non-HMO insurance plans don't usually care where you go for treatment. All that matters is whether they're in-network or not, and you can still go even if they're not in-network; it will simply cost you more.

This is one of the big reasons I avoid HMO plans. I don't care for insurance companies practicing medicine, and that's exactly what HMOs are.
March 04, 2021 06:50AM
I have been an AFIB patient since 1982, now 66 years old. I had about 12 episodes of AFIB from 1982 to 2003 when I started talking Flecanide 100mg twice daily. My 12 episodes of AFIB always included a rapid ventricular response so I knew immediately I was in AFIB. I have not been in AFIB since 2003. In September of 2020 I had a Zio Patch test and just received a copy of the 16 page report from iRhythm Technology. The report is very detailed and shows I was in AFIB multiple times with one episode lasting 12.5 hours. I had absolutely no symptoms of AFIB during the Zio Patch, unlike my previous 12 episodes with rapid ventricular response. My Zio lasted 8 days 2 hours. I’m going to ask my cardiologist to redo the Zio since I don’t believe the results based on my previous history. If Zio is valid I will likely have to start taking Eloquis versus the 325mg Ecotrin Aspirin I am currently taking. Also, I don’t meet with my cardiologist until next month to go over the Zio results.
March 04, 2021 06:54AM
Additionally, all my previous Holter monitors were negative.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login