Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tell me about drugs....

Posted by bolimasa 
Re: Tell me about drugs....
July 10, 2018 02:54PM
Ken
I know that knowing when one is in afib or not varies a lot between individuals. For me, prior to diagnosis and meds to control the rate, my resting heart rate was 50. In afib, it was rapid, weak, irregular and up to 180 bpm. Easy to feel on my carotid or radial pulse. No doubt what was going on. However, until it was caught on an ECG, I didn't know what was happening, and my Dr. suggested it was "an irregular pulse due to mitral valve prolapse". Which it wasn't.

That sounds kind of like me.. The times I **think** I might me in afib my pulse feels weak, irregular, with short bursts of speed... these are the times I *sometimes* notice my heart feels weird, and check my pulse. It will be interesting to see if I can figure out what is what.
Everything is off even when I don't feel weird at all .
Kinda of a 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... pause... 9 10 11 12 (1314) 15 16 (1718) 19 20 21 ..pause... 22 23 24

Some times I go a whole 30 or beats with out something weird, but that seems unusual.
July 10, 2018 03:07PM
So do you worry about your heart rate when you run?

From my 48 hour results it's clear that mine might be shooting up pretty high when I'm exerting myself... My high heart during that time was ~190... which corresponded with my doing a steep hike at altitude. (~9k ft)

I'm an on again off again runner... (used to be pretty regular but since wrecking my knee 5 years ago my motivation comes and goes) I was about to rejoin the 'on' club when all this happened (we had just lost the dog the week prior and I'd been using the dog can no longer run as l my excuse for being more off than I should).

Honestly, I've been too depressed to about my heart to pull my running shoes out, but I need to get over that.
I've done quite a few hikes that have clearly raised my heart rate pretty high (how much???)
Do I need to be cautious about heart rate?
July 10, 2018 06:13PM
bolimasa
Do I need to be cautious about heart rate?

You won't know until you try. Just start easy and see how it goes.
July 11, 2018 05:23PM
Bolimasa:

Are you on a CCB like Diltiazem? That would help with your HR going so high on these intermittent AFIB episodes. Diltiazem often also helps with PAC's also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 05:24PM by The Anti-Fib.
July 11, 2018 07:01PM
The Anti-Fib
Bolimasa:

Are you on a CCB like Diltiazem? That would help with your HR going so high on these intermittent AFIB episodes. Diltiazem often also helps with PAC's also.

Yeah they put me on Diltiazem at the ER... part of me would like to quit taking it to see if it really makes a difference.
July 11, 2018 09:50PM
bolimasa
Yeah they put me on Diltiazem at the ER... part of me would like to quit taking it to see if it really makes a difference.

ERs put every afib patient who walks in the door on diltiazem. It's a rate limiting drug, not an antiarrhythmic. It does not prevent afib. If I were you and wanted to try stopping it, I just would. If negative consequences ensue, resume taking it. You're not risking your life.
July 12, 2018 10:12AM
bolimasa

Bolimasa:

My first afib episode I converted on a Diltiazem drip IV in 4 hours. Never took it again. I was on Metoprolol for a time. I got to the point where I only took it at bedtime due to issues during the daytime usage. However, it did not keep me in NSR totally. When I went out of rhythm, I would have a nice slow, but irregular HR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login