Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation follow up & nephrologist

Posted by Victoria 
Ablation follow up & nephrologist
July 02, 2018 06:20PM
It's been 3 months since my ablation with Dr. Natale. NP said she will call me when to come in to get monitor so they can check me out. But I already know that I'm been having AF occurrences. Not nearly as long as pre-ablation. Longest around 3 hours, but they are happening more often.

I knew a follow up ablation might be necessary so this doesn't worry me. What does worry me is that I also have stage 4 chronic kidney disease which I discovered after the ablation. Saw the nephrologist today and asked him if I need another ablation can I get it without too much harm to the kidneys. He said absolutely no to any CT with contrast, but that the ablation procedure would be ok even with general anesthesia.

So hopefully I'll be meeting with Dr. Natale soon and see what he has to say. I wonder if I do need another ablation whether Dr. Natale would need a new CT w/ contrast or if he could just use the one I had right before my ablation in April. I guess I'll find out soon.
Re: Ablation follow up & nephrologist
July 03, 2018 12:40AM
I've had more than one ablation at two centers and neither of them required a repeat CT. I think they'll be fine with the one they have since it's so recent.
July 03, 2018 02:05AM
Victoria,

In brief, what was your pre-ablation AF history? How many years? Frequency and length of episodes? Had you reached the stage of persistent or permanent AF prior to the procedure? Thanks.

Mike
July 03, 2018 05:08PM
Good luck Victoria, I will be having my first (and hopefully only one needed) ablation with Dr Natale on July 10 in Austin.

Phil
July 06, 2018 07:02PM
You could say it was persistent but definitely not permanent. I first felt AF 16 years ago. At first was only once every 4-5 months and lasted only an hour or two. Over the yeas it has been more frequent and longer duration. The year prior to my ablation it really went into overdrive and I was having AF a few times a month and it would last for days. The longest was 5 days. Never was cardioverted and never took antiarrhythmic drugs.

The ablation made all the difference. This past 3 months I've had a few episodes but most lasted only a few minutes to an hour. A couple at 3 hours. Looking forward to my follow up visit with Dr. Natale and am hopeful.
July 07, 2018 12:11PM
So glad you are doing well and maintaining some healthy optimism.
Did Dr Natale send you home on antirhythmic drugs?
My ablation is scheduled for the 18th of this month. I am so ready to get it done and return to life normal at some point afterwards.
July 07, 2018 04:47PM
rocketritch
Did Dr Natale send you home on antirhythmic drugs?

He sends most patients home on an AAD. I was sent home with a 2-month prescription for Multaq but I know others who've been sent home on Tikosyn. His reasoning is to keep the heart in normal rhythm until the ablation lines develop fully.
July 09, 2018 05:27PM
Yes. Dr. N put me on Multaq after ablation.

Good Luck!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login