Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Foley Catheter for ablation

Posted by mwcf 
Foley Catheter for ablation
July 02, 2018 04:48PM
Is having to have a urinary catheter a done deal when having an ablation? The thought of that is worse than the thought of the ablation itself! I’m 57 with no urinary or prostate problems (PSA done twice-yearly). As well as being unpleasant, my understanding is that UTIs are far more likely after a F.C.

Guys??
Re: Foley Catheter for ablation
July 02, 2018 05:47PM
Depends on the length of the procedure and how long you're going to be required to lie flat.

Personally, I find them a blessing. During an ablation you're pumped full of fluid, and then if you have to lie flat for six more hours, that Foley will be your best friend. They're inserted after you're unconscious and that's really the only uncomfortable part, so you won't even be aware of it. Taking them out is a brief second of discomfort. No big deal. If you're given a choice, my advice is take it.

UTIs are more likely, but "far more likely" is an exaggeration. A UTI from a Foley left in for a few hours is rare. UTIs mainly occur among people who have them inserted for lengthy periods (days, weeks) or even all the time.
July 02, 2018 06:26PM
Thanks Carey.

Maybe if AF can’t be induced after a 1hr PVI then no F.C. But if a longer procedure (more fluid) required then that’s when they’ll put one in. As you say, if you don’t know about it going in and just a second or two of discomfort on the way out, then no big drama.
July 02, 2018 06:35PM
I have had 2 Ablations. Neither time I was Catherized. No issues afterwards either. I just urinated in the portable urinal. Dr. Natale done both of my Ablations. They have Condom Catheters. My first Ablation lasted over 3 hours; the touchup with LAA Isolation around 2.
I ask not to wear one and there was no issue.
Look at condom Catheters online.
July 02, 2018 09:36PM
The fluid thing is a bit of an understatement. I wasn’t Foleyed but after laying down most of the night the nurse gave me a 64 oz bottle to take to the restroom because they have to measure kidney output post procedure. I returned it full. I said the other two that I could have filled went down the toilet. There was no stopping mid-stream to ask for more!
July 02, 2018 10:07PM
mwcf
Maybe if AF can’t be induced after a 1hr PVI then no F.C.

A one hour PVI? Is it cryo? That would be almost impossibly fast for an RF PVI.
July 02, 2018 10:23PM
I had a two hour ablation with Dr Natale, six hours on my back in recovery. I had a Foley. As Carey said, a moment of discomfort on removal but not a big deal at all.
July 03, 2018 02:02AM
Carey,

Sorry just a random guess on my part. I recall Sam from Ireland who was at Bordeaux on 11th June last said his procedure took 3 hours because they had to go looking for non-PV triggers as AF could still be initiated after the PVI itself. Maybe the PVI by RF takes a couple or so hours? And yes; here in the UK Richard Schilling's average cryo procedure time in 2016 was 61 mins for PAF (but 113 mins for persistent AF) [londonafcentre.com]
July 03, 2018 08:51AM
I was given the option for the Foley at TCAI and opted out, and it wasn't a problem. Like most I was on my back for the 6 hour period but that was 18 months ago - I believe with the new collagen plugs the wait is only two hours now.
Ken
July 03, 2018 09:48AM
Yes, no big deal. I have had a foley three times. The first was for a prostatectomy where it had to stay in place for two weeks post surgery until the urethra healed, with a receptacle bag strapped to my leg.

As said above, removal is a one second pain level of about 7-8.
July 03, 2018 10:13AM
I've had 2 ablations. The first was at Indiana University/Baptist Health in Indianapolis. It lasted over 8 hours (can you say FIRM?), and I was catheterized. The next morning after the procedure I was barely able to produce a few drops, and I told them I had emptied my bladder just to get the hell out of dodge. (They wouldn't release me until I did. They didn't want to see my output either.) I later developed an infection, and was in an incredible amount of discomfort and had a fever etc.

My 2nd ablation, a scant 4 months later at TCAI, only lasted about 4 hours. During my consult with Dr. Natale I asked to please not be catheterized, and they didn't. The next morning I was injected twice (I think) with lasix, and then the incredible urine output began, unstoppable. The only challenging part post procedure was turning on my side without sitting up to pee into the pitcher. But with collagen plugs being used now, I think I could wait until the 2 hours has passed and then you have more freedom of movement. The lasix injections weren't until the next morning, so there were just a couple hours where it was a little hard to pee w/o sitting up or spilling on yourself.

The UTI I got in Indy was a bad deal, and I swore to never again be catheterized if I could get around it. TCAI also offered me the condom thingy, but I passed (no pun intended), because they tend to slip off.
July 03, 2018 09:51PM
AB Page
TCAI also offered me the condom thingy, but I passed (no pun intended), because they tend to slip off.

I'm guessing the worst case is it slips off and you pee on yourself. However someone else will have to clean it up. In the scheme of things, not the end of the world. I'd likely take that risk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login