Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib and scuba diving

Posted by emv54 
Afib and scuba diving
June 18, 2018 08:10AM
I'd like to try out scuba diving and would greatly welcome feedback from anybody on here who is regularly diving or was diving but was forced to stop by their afib. Or indeed anyone else who knows anything about this one!

Afib apart, I've no other health issues and an echocardiogram six months ago confirmed there's nothing wrong structurally with my heart. I've been a runner for 35+ years and also open water swim year-round (mostly without a wetsuit), and am a competitive stand-up paddleboarder. Healthy diet, &c. So at low risk for a cardiac or stroke event, afib apart.

I don't take any afib meds and — like lots of us — can't predict when it's going to rock up. Stress is one trigger, but then again it's popped up after two sips of a cold beer or while sitting, relaxing and doing absolutely nothing at all! A quick run usually sees it off. Most of the time it's just mildly annoying; occasionally it becomes more intrusive and fatiguing.

I"m in my mid-60s and I'm female.

Hope one of you can give me some guidance as I'd dearly love to go underwater!
Re: Afib and scuba diving
June 18, 2018 08:42AM
I have dived subsequent to starting my afib career, but not for quite a few yearsr. It was never a trigger. My afib is not debilitating. That would be my big concern.

George
June 18, 2018 09:19AM
Sure, I've been diving with afib. Afib is no reason to avoid things like scuba diving unless you experiencing fainting episodes.
June 18, 2018 01:10PM
I dived for many years with paroxysmal AF but I would sit out dives when it was actually happening. I stopped diving when it turned into long term persistent AF.

4 months after ablation in Bordeaux I was on a liveaboard dive boat in the Maldives.

Gill
June 18, 2018 01:26PM
I'd also check and see what medical form and or examination is required by your school. It has been a long time, but I seem to remember having to do something in this regard.
June 18, 2018 03:51PM
Thanks everyone — much appreciated.

Yes, there is a form to complete but it doesn't specifically mention afib, just 'heart conditions'.

They are PADI-certified, so will follow the association's guidelines. I will need to clarify with them, but I'm greatly encouraged by your replies smiling smiley
Ken
June 18, 2018 04:50PM
I also dove when I had afib since the afib didn't have much of an impact unless I was doing something physically demanding. I never had it while under water. If you check "heart condition" and try to explain your afib, the dive master/shop may not let you dive. They may not understand afib. If you want to dive, keep it to yourself, as long as your are confident that an episode during a dive will be no big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 05:13PM by Ken.
June 18, 2018 05:56PM
Ken is right, they dare not let you dive if you tick the heart condition box. Dive operators can’t be expected to know that AF isn’t going to kill you.

I used to leave that box blank - the risk was mine and the dive operator would not have been blamed if something went wrong.

Gill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login