Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick question on Constipation following Ablation

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Quick question on Constipation following Ablation
June 17, 2018 01:52PM
Ablation done on Monday, 11th June. Seriously constipated since. Hospital said Morphine was cause and, although I mentioned it each day they just gave me a Rhubarb fibre small tub once. I started using glycerol suppository two days ago and am taking 600mg mag citrate. Only very slight improvement. Will see my GP on Wednesday. Any advice meantime much appreciated.
Re: Quick question on Constipation following Ablation
June 17, 2018 02:01PM
If it were me, I'd take "therapeutic" doses of magnesium (whatever that is for you) to "blast" it out. Milk of magnesia (the active ingredient being magnesium hydroxide) usually works, or higher doses of magnesium citrate - like those used before a colonoscopy. A squeeze bottle enema available at the pharmacy, may also work in short order. These approaches all have in common increasing the fluid in the colon..
June 17, 2018 03:25PM
What was Prof Jais’/Hocini’s view on how things went Sam? How do you think things went??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2018 03:26PM by mwcf.
June 17, 2018 08:46PM
Sam, I've had the same experience with opiates. I was in the hospital a little over a year ago with my first serious bout of atrial fibrillation caused me to have a traffic accident that damaged my lower back.
I made me very constipated and at one point they even had to catheter my urinary bladder. At this point I avoid opiates whenever possible.
There are a number of products out there to get everything moving again, but none of them worked very well for a bad case.
June 18, 2018 09:02PM
Opiates/opioids. Classic side effect. Knocks your gut unconscious long enough for fecoliths to form and, viola, you’ve got a “log jam at the mill”.

Try blasting it out if you think it’s safe to do so. In addition to the magnesium laxative effects, I have a tried-and-true method although it’s not for the feint-of-heart. Eat the spiciest meal you possibly can (I usually make a pizza with at least two whole jalapeños on it) at night, wash it down with a bunch of liquid and then go for an early morning run. Make sure you’re VERY, VERY close to available public restrooms or either VERY, VERY far away from any civilization whatsoever! winking smiley
Sam
June 23, 2018 02:39PM
Still struggling with this. A Doctor has given me a prescription for Laxido which has some really scary side effects. Anyone familiar with it?
Ken
June 28, 2018 03:44PM
Phillips Milk Of Magnesia with plenty of water and you will go. Take a little more than the recommended dosage.
Sam
June 29, 2018 03:32PM
I took the Laxilo - 2 sachets first day, 4 the next and 6 the next. The constipation resolved but left me with serious diarrhea for the last day and a half. Now trying to resolve that by adding white bread, white rice, an extra banana a day and live yogurt .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login