Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Toe Procedure done for Bordeaux Ablation Next Monday.

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Toe Procedure done for Bordeaux Ablation Next Monday.
June 07, 2018 11:48AM
Went to the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin yesterday 6th June for the TOE. It was a drive on a hot day of over 100 miles and took 3 hours, leaving at 6.05 A.M. My brother-in-law kindly took me as driving oneself is not recommended.
I arrived at 9.05, filled in a long health related form and then was seen by a Nurse(?) who asked lots of questions and filled in another long form.
I was then sent to a waiting room from where I was, after some time, taken to a ward to undress and put on a hospital gown (I was able to keep my underpants on!)
Next (it was now 10.00a.am) it was the room where the procedure would take place where a nurse attached a drip for a sedative and a blood pressure band. Later a nurse hooked me up to a heart monitor (All staff - and quite a few were involved - were friendly and helpful).

The doctor arrived to perform the procedure at 11.30. He explained what exactly would happen.
I was turned onto my left side in a semi-reclining position and a plastic gadget was put in my mouth which kept the mouth open and allow access for the probe.
Next a nurse injected a mild dose of Diazepam, just enough to keep me calm but fully conscious and able to swallow the probe.

(I must be extra sensitive to such medicines. I lost two hours of my life once when i took one before a flight and knew nothing until I became aware of a flight attendant putting a pillow under my head in the plane. Sadly the flight was delayed for 2 hours and the effects wore off just as the plane started to take off!)

Anyway, I was aware of the probe starting to enter my mouth and of nothing else until the Doctor was telling me everything went well and the nurse was removing the heart monitor leads.
After that I was again unaware of anything until I realised I'd been wheeled back to waiting ward.

I wanted the results urgently but my GP said they would only send them to her. I asked the first Nurse who took my details if I could take the report home with me but she said Data Protection did not allow that. I finally asked the Docter and he had no problem giving me the written report and a CD (which my PC will not play).
The TOE showed no problems

I had to fast from the previous night until I got 3 pieces of white toast and a cup of tea at 2.00 pm (seems all hospitals employ the same nutritionist).

Finally the long, hot journey home and a restless night with an uneasy heart due to dehydration.

The cost was £865.
Re: Toe Procedure done for Bordeaux Ablation Next Monday.
June 07, 2018 01:42PM
Sam,

Nice one. Glad everything went well and pleasantly enough for you. All sorted and ready for next Wednesday!

Best,

Mike
June 07, 2018 02:03PM
Hi Sam - Very glad your TOE result was satisfactory and the whole procedure went well for you.
One step at a time. Now, try to relax and think good, positive thoughts as you know you're in the
best of care at Bordeaux. We'll be waiting for your news.
Best to you,
Jackie
Sam
June 08, 2018 04:21AM
Thanks, folks! One point I missed out. Even though the TOE report noted that the device went in easily I had a pretty sore through once the spray effect wore off and now, two days later it's still quite uncomfortable.
June 08, 2018 04:43AM
Yes Sam the sore throat is very commonly reported.

Please keep us posted as to how things go in the run-up to, during and after your upcoming ablation. Once gain wishing you all the best. You're definitely going to the right place.

Cheers,

Mike
June 10, 2018 02:17PM
Good luck for tomorrow Sam. Please do keep us posted!
Cheers,
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login