Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Health Insurance
June 03, 2018 07:57PM
Have any of you purchased specific health insurance so that you could get an ablation from Dr Natale? If so, which kind? How much more is insurance with a pre existing condition such as afib? Could you just get insurance for a year or so just to get an ablation?
Reason I ask is because i'm asking for a referral from the health dept for another heart dr. I've had 2 ablations and the dr offered me a 3rd but I just don't see what he could do better. He has a pretty low rating on the net. I've literally gotten worse since both ablations which were only done a couple of years ago. I now have pretty bad afib like 4 out of 7 days a week. Can't work, no energy, black out alot. I really can't see giving this guy another try.

I was hoping to be able to get a referral to one or Dr Natale's understudies in another part of florida. Dr Pinski. But it turns out that the dept of health only has the one office that they're contracted to and thats the one I already go to. I feel like I'm trapped.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Health Insurance
June 03, 2018 11:23PM
What insurance do you have now? Most major insurance plans are accepted by TCAI.
June 04, 2018 11:41AM
Carey
What insurance do you have now? Most major insurance plans are accepted by TCAI.

I dont have insurance per se. I get help from the Florida dept of health.

Follow up question: Is anyone on disability because of this?
June 04, 2018 02:13PM
Disability would be occupation dependent. Largely, no, but there are cases where regulations prohibit working certain jobs (airline pilot, commercial truck driver, etc).
June 06, 2018 03:44AM
Maybe you could call Dr. Pinski's office and ask what health insurances they take and then go from there??

I have no idea about qualifications in terms of pre-existing conditions, that is probably dependent upon the insurance coverage.

As for being able to just have the insurance for a year in order to get the care you need (you may want to just consider going straight to Dr. Natale), my next best guess would be that unless you're locked into a 2 or 3 year commitment (like many wireless cell phone plans seem to have) if you're paying out of pocket for your insurance, it seems reasonable that you can determine the time frame after their "minimum commitment" requirement is met. Don't insurance companies have policies that renew annually?

I'll look forward to seeing if anyone else rings in on this, as I'd like to know too!
Sue
June 06, 2018 02:01PM
I was self-employed for 15 years so bought my own medical insurance during that time. It's like any other insurance policy. You pay the premiums and they keep renewing it until either you quit paying for it or they drop you for some reason. Never heard of any multiple year commitments or minimum commitments.

Buying your own medical insurance will be expensive, but it's cheaper than paying for an ablation.
June 07, 2018 10:34AM
Billyjeans
Have any of you purchased specific health insurance so that you could get an ablation from Dr Natale? If so, which kind? How much more is insurance with a pre existing condition such as afib? Could you just get insurance for a year or so just to get an ablation?

Thanks, Billy

No, insurance companies are not that stupid. They might have a policy that would include it, but you'd have to pay more.

[www.pac.bluecross.ca]
June 07, 2018 07:08PM
jpeters
No, insurance companies are not that stupid. They might have a policy that would include it, but you'd have to pay more.

They don't have a choice. Once you've purchased the policy they have no choice but cover whatever you do under the terms of the policy.

I know people have done this in order to get a Natale ablation when their existing coverage wouldn't cover it.
June 07, 2018 07:43PM
Carey

They don't have a choice. Once you've purchased the policy they have no choice but cover whatever you do under the terms of the policy.

I know people have done this in order to get a Natale ablation when their existing coverage wouldn't cover it.

I know that was the ideal under Obamacare, but not according to the referenced Blue Cross Video (2018).
June 07, 2018 09:44PM
jpeters
I know that was the ideal under Obamacare, but not according to the referenced Blue Cross Video (2018).

Obamacare is alive and well. Please save me the time of watching a video. What sort of corporate nonsense is BC spouting that claims you can't buy insurance from another company that will cover it?
June 08, 2018 01:40AM
Carey

Obamacare is alive and well.

"The individual and small group insurance markets have been subject to intense and deliberate sabotage by the federal government in the past year, including: the elimination of cost-sharing reductions, shortening of the open enrollment period, slashed federal funding for outreach to consumers, the elimination of the individual mandate, and the continual threat of the repeal of the ACA, which has created instability and uncertainty for insurers and consumers."

fox43
June 08, 2018 07:39AM
Yes, no question that Trump and the GOP have intentionally sabotaged the ACA over the last year, but the important provisions as far as this discussion goes remain intact.
June 08, 2018 09:07AM
Carey
Yes, no question that Trump and the GOP have intentionally sabotaged the ACA over the last year, but the important provisions as far as this discussion goes remain intact.

Looks like a lot of variation depending on what state you're in. State subsidies are getting cut, so a lot of insurance carriers are dropping out after losing money. From what I've read, the remaining few can change their terms at the last minute after you sign up. One thing for sure, rates and deductibles are going up and there will be fewer choices. Those who haven't kept up their insurance coverage will be hit the hardest. Someone's got to pay for people who sign up after they get sick if it isn't the government.

_______

Latest news from the WSJ"

"The Justice Department won’t defend major provisions in the Affordable Care Act and is asking a federal court to strike down key elements of the law, a new blow to the health law and the stability of the individual insurance market.

The provisions targeted by the Justice Department include the bans on insurers denying coverage and charging higher rates to people with pre-existing health conditions. The department is also seeking to roll back limits on how much insurers can charge people based on gender and age.

The Justice Department, in its brief, said certain ACA provisions, such as banning insurers from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, are invalid as of Jan. 1 with the mandate-penalty repeal. The U.S. agreed with the plaintiffs that sections “must now be struck down as unconstitutional,” according to the Justice Department brief"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 10:52AM by jpeters.
June 08, 2018 02:16PM
I have been with Blue Cross for many, many years but they have raised their rates, doubling it, so with Blue X, Medicare and prescription coverage my ins. every month is quite high. Last Nov. I tried to get another supplemental Ins., there are cheaper ones out there, but was denied because of my existing AF, so I have to stick with Blue X. Obamacare does nothing for me.

L
June 08, 2018 02:55PM
Elizabeth
Last Nov. I tried to get another supplemental Ins., there are cheaper ones out there, but was denied because of my existing AF.

L

I picked the most expensive supplemental plan that was available. It's saved me a ton of money.
June 17, 2018 10:06PM
re: Carey's statement "Yes, no question that Trump and the GOP have intentionally sabotaged the ACA over the last year, but..."

Surely you know, that entire "thing" of "Obamacare", was put onto the public, clearly knowing it would fail, "prices would become ridiculous" with the intent of UK / Canada style "one provider" socialized medicine.

Them's the facts, and that was the plan, for it to BE terrible. Then to be guided to "their intent". This is documented, if you take the time to research it. This is all "mid repair". But that is after the fact of intentional screw-it-up agenda, that is clear (again, if one studies "what was said", vs. what they did").
June 18, 2018 12:39AM
FrankInFlorida
But that is after the fact of intentional screw-it-up agenda, that is clear (again, if one studies "what was said", vs. what they did").

I guess the only relevant question is who is going to pay Dr. Natale?
June 18, 2018 02:47PM
FrankInFlorida
re: Carey's statement "Yes, no question that Trump and the GOP have intentionally sabotaged the ACA over the last year, but..."

Surely you know, that entire "thing" of "Obamacare", was put onto the public, clearly knowing it would fail, "prices would become ridiculous" with the intent of UK / Canada style "one provider" socialized medicine.

Them's the facts, and that was the plan, for it to BE terrible. Then to be guided to "their intent". This is documented, if you take the time to research it. This is all "mid repair". But that is after the fact of intentional screw-it-up agenda, that is clear (again, if one studies "what was said", vs. what they did").

Believe what you like. I avoid politics on afib forums.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login