Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation results. sad smiley

Posted by BeachBill 
Ablation results. sad smiley
May 27, 2018 01:32PM
During an ablation procedure on 4/26/2018, one of my heart chambers was punctured. Only 50% of the procedure had been completed when puncture occurred. I received 4 pints of blood and 2 pints of palettes. The only explanation about what happened was that the pressure/temperature probe had a problem or that part of the heart wall was thin.

I was in ICU for 4 days and the regular hospital for 2 days. I am doing PT to recover my strength. The medication I am on is Amiodarone HCL 200mg two tablets once a day and Eloquis Tab 5mg one tablet twice/day. Currently, I am not having any afib attacks. With a lot of luck, the 50% took care of the afib. The final test will be if I still have afib attacks after I come off of Amiodarone. A date has not been set for when this will occur.
Re: Ablation results. sad smiley
May 27, 2018 02:58PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Glad that you are on the mend and wish you all the best!
May 28, 2018 08:23AM
Just curious,who performed your ablation?
May 28, 2018 08:38AM
Sorry to hear of the complications during your procedure BeachBill.

I hope the afib is gone and you can get off amiodarone soon. Wishing you the very best.
May 28, 2018 08:56AM
Hello Bill - So very sorry to read your news. What an ordeal for you. Please keep us informed.
I'm sending you an abundance of positive thoughts and good wishes for a speedy recovery.
Kind regards,
Jackie
May 28, 2018 10:21AM
Lynn
Just curious,who performed your ablation?

Dr Wharton @ MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) in Charleston, SC.
May 28, 2018 10:53AM
I'm curious, in the context of teaching hospitals how does one know if students are or are not on the catheters? That has always been a concern of mine, as my ablation was also done at a teaching hospital although I know for a fact that the EP was the only operator in my case. I wonder if it is in all cases.
May 28, 2018 11:02AM
wolfpack
I'm curious, in the context of teaching hospitals how does one know if students are or are not on the catheters? That has always been a concern of mine, as my ablation was also done at a teaching hospital although I know for a fact that the EP was the only operator in my case. I wonder if it is in all cases.

You ask in advance and get agreement from the EP. All but my last procedure were done in teaching hospitals and that's what I did. I believe they were true to their word.
May 28, 2018 03:33PM
5 ablations done in teaching hospitals? They didn't take so it didn't matter whether you asked for the top guy.

l
May 28, 2018 05:14PM
I would certainly want and expect my ablation done by a very experienced electrophysiologist and not someone who is "practicing" this procedure in a teaching hospital. That is a confirmation that I would want from my electrophysiologist before the procedure and would not want to proceed without that assurance. I realize that teaching hospitals must provide opportunities for doctors to learn the required techniques...but I don't want to be the one who provides that opportunity. eye popping smiley
May 28, 2018 07:03PM
Elizabeth
5 ablations done in teaching hospitals? They didn't take so it didn't matter whether you asked for the top guy.

I had the top guy every time. I've read the procedure reports so I know trainees weren't involved, but yes, your point remains. It highlights what's wrong with ablation procedures today. Just because your EP is the "top guy" in a small pond doesn't mean he's a "top guy" in the big pond. Being a "top guy" in the big pond only includes a few dozen EPs worldwide.
May 29, 2018 05:00PM
JustMeToo
I would certainly want and expect my ablation done by a very experienced electrophysiologist and not someone who is "practicing" this procedure in a teaching hospital. That is a confirmation that I would want from my electrophysiologist before the procedure and would not want to proceed without that assurance. I realize that teaching hospitals must provide opportunities for doctors to learn the required techniques...but I don't want to be the one who provides that opportunity. eye popping smiley
I whole heartily agree with this post. I had asking my EP to confirm for me that he would be the only one involved in the procedure on by questions list and forgot to ask. I am now in the process of getting the ablation report. Hopefully, that will answer the question. Unfortunately, now it is just dealing with spelt milk.
January 24, 2019 03:29AM
Sorry to read of your experience Bill. Hope that you are doing well today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login