Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Book Release by Hans Larsen - Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention 2018

Posted by Jackie 
New Book Release by Hans Larsen - Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention 2018
May 18, 2018 09:22AM
I am pleased to announce… just now available on Amazon…. Hans Larsen’s latest book:
Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention 3rd. Edition:
The Afibber's Guide to Stroke Prevention
Paperback – April 2018

[www.amazon.com]

As you might expect, this update is another very informative, important and useful publication for Afibbers by Hans Larsen.

The endorsement review of the first thrombosis book by a former member here some may remember and applies to this edition as well. Sadja Greenwood, MD, MPH, CA, USA

Hans Larsen’s new book Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention is extremely valuable for those of us with atrial fibrillation and for all adults. Hans clearly explains the body’s pathways to form blond clots and to dissolve them, the medications in common use to affect these processes, and the natural alternatives that can be used to help prevent stroke. His analysis will also help to prevent heart attack and blood clots in lungs. Read this book: it may save your life!

I'm sure you'll want a copy. I'm about halfway through mine. Very well done.
Chapter 9 is on Stroke Risk Factors including elevated CRP levels, heavy exercise, hypertension, atrial thrombus, lifestyle, and various functional stroke risk factors... of course, all documented with references.

Jackie
Re: New Book Release by Hans Larsen - Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention 2018
May 18, 2018 07:34PM
I'm also working my way through this book. I think Hans has done an excellent job as usual. Hans founded this site and ran it for many years.

Hans' Bio
Hans Larsen is a Professional Engineer and holds a Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering from the Technical University of Denmark. He developed a lifelong interest in biochemistry and nutrition through his early studies with Professor Henrik Dam, the Nobel Prize-winning discoverer of vitamin K. Later he honed his technical writing skills by abstracting for Chemical Abstracts then the world’s largest abstracting service.

Hans has a huge attention to detail. The format of the book is to abstract many studies, hence one can judge the pros and cons of various approaches. Hans covers both "natural" approaches to stroke prevention as well as warfarin, aspirin, the novel anticoagulants and LAA occlusion. I think the book is excellent. It is available in both Kindle and paperback formats.

Here is the Table of Contents:

Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention
Third Edition
The Afibber’s Guide to Stroke Prevention
Contents
Foreword Patrick Chambers MD 5
Preface Martin Klughaupt MD FACC 6
Introduction Hans Larsen M80 7

Chapter 1 Mechanism of Thrombosis and Stroke 9
Chapter 2 Underlying Causes of Thrombosis 17
Chapter 3 Natural Approaches to Stroke Prevention 26
Chapter 4 Stroke Risk Estimates 58
Chapter 5 Pharmaceutical Drugs for Stroke Prevention 65
Chapter 6 Effectiveness of Antithrombotic Agents 89
Chapter 7 Living with Warfarin 99
Chapter 8 Warfarin Interactions 120

THIRD EDITION UPDATES
Chapter 9 Stroke Risk Factors 127
Chapter 10 Stroke and Bleeding Risk Estimates 148
Chapter 11 Alternative Approaches to Stroke Prevention 165
Chapter 12 Stroke Prevention with Aspirin 185
Chapter 13 Stroke Prevention with Warfarin 198
Chapter 14 Novel Oral Anticoagulants 217
Chapter 15 LAA Occlusion 245

APPENDICES
A. Glossary of Medical Terms 270
8. Review of Guidelines for Prevention 280
0. Pharmaceutical Drugs for Stroke Prevention 282
D. Natural Supplements for Stroke Prevention 283
E. SUBJECT INDEX 284
Joe
May 19, 2018 06:30AM
Hmm, read the previous book only a few months ago. Wonder if updates/new insights are available separately?
May 19, 2018 09:29AM
Thanks George for posting the Contents with the new updates - Chapter Titles.
That's very helpful.

Jackie
May 19, 2018 01:24PM
Joe
Hmm, read the previous book only a few months ago. Wonder if updates/new insights are available separately?

Joe, the Kindle version is only $7.99 (US), I'd order that (and if not aware, can be read on PCs, Macs & phones with a Kindle app, so you don't need a Kindle device).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 01:25PM by GeorgeN.
Joe
May 19, 2018 06:45PM
Thanks George, it's not the few $. Just a bit lazy .... I'll get it in the end and just skim the older sections.
May 21, 2018 05:27AM
Good to know Hans is still well and productive! I often wonder how he's getting on these days.
May 28, 2018 08:10PM
Many thanks Jackie and George, for beating me to the punch with your thorough reviews of Hans Larsen’s excellent new 3rd edition of Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention 2018!.

To answer Joe’s question above: “... Was it worth buying this 3rd edition if one had recently bought the second edition ... I vote YES, indeed!

Not only has Hans revised and updated many key areas of the first two editions, but the all new material is well worth the price of the book on its own, in my view. Hans’ research proclivity and prowess is on full display here and even the section on left atrial appendage closure options is well-vetted and up-to-date ... not an easy thing to accomplish in this fast-paced rapidly evolving topic in Cardiology and EP!

For those Afibbers eager to learn more about our amazing cardiovascular system and how we might avoid or mitigate one of the most devastating consequences that can result from living with AFIB, this new edition of Thrombosis and Stroke Prevention 2018 is a superb resource!

And here I was thinking Hans was off smelling the roses of retired life, yet his innate curiosity has clearly kept him fully engaged in the latest cardiac research, as before.

Kudos to both Hans and his lovely wife Judi who, no doubt, added her usual important contributions to this highly informative new 3rd edition coming into being!

Best wishes,
Shannon Dickson
Editor: www.afibbers.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2018 08:14PM by Shannon.
June 06, 2018 11:52PM
I posted this on another area but didn’t see any responses, so I’ll try here.

On page 44 of the new book, Hans states, “The beneficial effects of Nattokinase persist for 18 hours or longer and positive effects have been observed with as little as 50 mg.” Since Cardiokinase is the “better” form of Nattokinase (I think), do I need to take it (Pure Prescriptions 100 mg) three times a day?
June 08, 2018 02:49PM
Louise:

Scroll down to this
Lumbrokinase for Clot Risk Prevention, Jackie is the author.

Liz
June 08, 2018 06:09PM
Louise - You should follow the Cardiokinase instructions for dosing.... or any other product to be sure that you have the full effect of the enzyme that's provided.

As Liz directs you, that report indicates that Lumbrokinase is more powerful than nattokinase... but I don't recall if I saw a direct comparison to Boulouke and Cardiokinase. I would be comfortable taking either product as they both have excellent performance records.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login