Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potassium/Kidney link

Posted by Victoria 
Potassium/Kidney link
May 15, 2018 08:06PM
Just a reminder that you should really know how well your kidneys are functioning before taking potassium supplements.

The blood work prior to my ablation last month alerted me to the fact that I'm in stage 4 chronic kidney disease. (Stage 5 is renal failure.) Now I must track and limit the amount of potassium (and phosphorus, sodium, and protein) in the food I eat. Hoping to hold off dialysis as long as possible. Just want to give a friendly warning regarding potassium. It's really good unless you have problems with your kidneys.
Re: Potassium/Kidney link
May 15, 2018 09:25PM
Yes, that's a very important warning. I used potassium heavily for two years, but when I explain what I did I always add cautionary warnings about kidney function.

I would add three more:

-If you have diabetes
-If you're taking a potassium-sparing drug (certain diuretics, ACE inhibitors, ARBs)
-If you don't know if the drugs you're taking fall under those categories
Re: Potassium/Kidney link
May 16, 2018 08:40AM
Victoria - Thank you for the important precaution reminder.

I'm very sorry to read about your kidney problem and hope you can at least stabilize and remain so without dialysis.
As I child I had a kidney problem from eating excess sodium. I was on a strict, no sodium, no-protein diet for 4 months and confined to bedrest.... measuring intake and output ..of fluids. I was given a medication and the doctor came to check on me weekly. (The good old days). Fortunately, my kidney function has been normal all these years... but I am always aware and have kidney function checked twice a year.

If afibbers intend to supplement with potassium, they should have regular lab tests to monitor their potassium levels. Former afibber, TomC, had posted that when his potassium was elevated, it was a trigger for AF. He introduced the CardyMeter to the forum.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login