Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C & phospholipids derived from soy??

Posted by SueChef 
Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C & phospholipids derived from soy??
May 15, 2018 11:55AM
Hello, I'm wondering about this product and the amount of soy lecithin that's in it, as I've also read soy can be an endocrine disrupter for many people, and possibly even affect estrogen "dominance" and such. I'm not a scientist, so am wondering if anyone has any helpful info to assuage my concerns about this.

Also, has anyone ever had any side effects from this, like upper or lower GI disturbances?? (I already know from others that it tastes bad if you take it wrong). Does anyone know if it affects blood glucose?

Thanks for any info!
Sue
Re: Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C & phospholipids derived from soy??
May 15, 2018 12:39PM
Sue - you can read here about the LivOn Lab's Liposomal C essential phospholipids which are made from soy lecithin.
[www.livonlabs.com]
Here's one segment in the Info section

We use Essential Phospholipids (EPL), which are made from soy lecithin. Virtually all of the soy protein, which is of allergic concern to some individuals, is removed from the EPL during the extraction process. While we cannot guarantee our products do not contain trace amounts of soy protein, we routinely conduct DNA and Allergen testing on each product with an independent laboratory. To date, the laboratory has not been able to detect any amounts of soy protein in our products.

For more information on lecithin derived from soy, we recommend reading Section II. C. of the FDA's Guidance on Food Labeling, which can be found at
[www.fda.gov]

Since I had hypo-thyroid problems, I was told to avoid soy but I have been using the LivOn Lipo-C for a number of years and have had no thyroid issues.... but I definitely do not have a soy allergy. I have maintained my thyroid 'numbers' in satisfactory range even now that I've been off Armour thyroid hormone for several years by using other thyroid support nutrients along with an Iodine complex. We are all unique, so I'm just offering my personal testimonial regarding LipoC and thyroid function.

LipoC does not affect my glucose metabolism negatively and the bowel tolerance factor is a non-issue with this form of Vitamin C... even in very high doses. Yes - it does have a 'gross' taste... but that's easy to ignore considering all the benefits.

I totally rely on LivOn's LipoC to keep me healthy as I don't get flu shots and rarely ever have a cold and haven't had the flu for at least 18 years if not longer. The only other best treatment would be IV ascorbic acid infusions but that's not always a readily-available option for every person in every location.

Repeating again the previously-posted equivalency doses of this LipoC verus vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid.
I have taken several packets at a time - several times a day when I was attempting to see if it might help with latent Lyme infection and had no negative symptoms. I take it daily and would never travel without it.

One packet delivers 1,000 mg of the liposomal C.

The substitution equivalencies (Lipo C equivalent to C as ascorbic acid
1,000 mg = 3,000 – 4,000 mg powder
2,000 mg = 8,000 – 10,000 mg powder
3,000 mg = 12,000 – 18,000 mg powder…. (page 133 of Primal Panacea)

Typically, no bowel tolerance issues or stomach distress.

Primal Panacea
By Thomas E Levy, MD, JD
[www.google.com]

Jackie
May 15, 2018 02:22PM
Thanks, Jackie, for a thorough response and links!

Why do you think some folks have a bad reaction to this product, i.e. feel terrible, doubled over in pain, gastric distress, etc?
I've been reading a lot of reviews online from consumers, with pros and cons. The cons or adverse effects may be ascribed to personal body chemistry perhaps?
May 15, 2018 05:43PM
Sue - was the online site where complaints were reported the LivOn Labs website or was it a generic liposomal C... there are numerous other products that may not be made with by that patented process.

It's true that in some individuals who have toxic intestinal buildup and/or intestinal pathogens, the effect of vitamin C supplementation can cause the bowel issues but not typically with the true LivOn Labs Lipo-Spheric Vitamin C. The literature says the true liposomal form 'enjoys a nearly complete absorption, so it's not likely to form a diarrheal flush.'

But if you want an intentional, therapeutic and periodic bowel flush, the recommended forms are ascorbic acid, sodium ascorbate or ascorbyl palmitate. For an efficient bowel flush, sodium ascorbate is the best option.

Jackie
May 16, 2018 05:04AM
Hi, Jackie,

The online concerns were for the LivOn Labs stuff, and I went to a number of sites to look at reviews for this item--not a generic equivalent. The one that I recall clearly (I was all over the internet) was at the Amazon site.

Thanks again for your additional information!

Sue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 05:05AM by SueChef.
May 16, 2018 08:45AM
Thanks Sue. If you can find the link again, I'd like to read it. I've recommended the LivOn product to dozens of people who now love using it and have not had adverse effects. It's most likely a gut dysbiosis issue in those that are reactive and that's predictable considering the therapeutic action of vitamin C.

Jackie
May 18, 2018 05:03AM
Hi Jackie,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

The link for some of the negative reviews/input is here on Amazon--they are sorted by Most Recent if linked it correctly.
Discounting all the ones that say it tastes disgusting (they probably were taking it wrong), there are reviews that talk about their gastric distress, soy, etc.
[www.amazon.com]

One interesting review was from June of last year:

I spent a lot of money trying this product. It helped some chronic conditions by surprise. When I searched for studies that support the claims that lypospheirc Vitamin C is better absorbed by the cells than the regular vitamin C, I found none. How can LivOn not fund any studies for their own products? The fact is they don't want the truth to disappoint them and cut the sales of lypo-spheric C. An expert in the field of phospholipids and liposomes told me that liposomes will not deliver vitamin C to chylomicrons. Oral liposomes are degraded in GI tract to lyso-phosphatidylcholine and two free fatty acids. These are absorbed leaving behind soluble vitamin C in the gut. In addition to the degradation issue, liposomes are not "non-polar" enough to be absorbed by chylomicrons. I sent the presentation slides explaining how liposome works (all in theory) from Dr. Thomas Levy to my expert friend for his opinions. His reply, "This reads like a thousand other con-man presentations on drug delivery that I have seen over the last 30 years"

We switched off Lypo-C and went on regular C and found no recurrence of our chronic conditions.. We thought Lypo-C did the trick but it turned out it is no better than the cheaper options. If you have any personal experience comparing Lypo-C and regular C, let's hear it.

Don't get me wrong. Vitamin C is the cure for many, many otherwise incurable conditions or diseases. Read "Orthomolecular Medicine For Everyone" by Dr. Abram Hoffer. Try regular vitamin C first. I recommend ascorbic acid powder from BulkSupplements.

A lot of this info is beyond me--but then again, I'm having a bit of a challenge with my new cell phone. LOLAM smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks!!!
Sue
May 18, 2018 07:57AM
Thanks Sue - The advent of the liposomal delivery form for various nutrients has been used for several years and most popular is the vitamin C version pioneered by LivOn Laboratories. There are now other supplement companies offering liposomal delivery products as well. As I commented previously, my experience has been totally positive.

The taste is definitely 'odd' to day the least. Designs for Health has a liquid Liposomal Vitamin C (versus the gel pack) that is sweetened with Stevia and tastes great.... just not conveniently portable as is the LivOn product.

As I commented initially about the soy derivative, it's a non-event but probably those commenting didn't bother to research it for further explanation.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login