Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Warfarin and Insomnia?

Posted by ln108 
Warfarin and Insomnia?
May 13, 2018 01:49PM
Hello Friends,

I've had two ablations from Dr. Natale, in 2009 and 2001. So far, following the 2011 "touch up," I've been in sinus rhythm. I've had to continue on warfarin, however. So it's now been over 10 years on warfarin. Lately, I've been waking up in the middle of the night (2:30am or so) and unable to go back to sleep. Feeling quiet nervous and agitated, which is extremely unusual for me.

The other night, I forgot to take my warfarin and slept soundly throughout the night. I tried a second night, same. Went back on warfarin, and the insomnia returned.

I'd very much appreciate if anyone is aware of a connection between warfarin and insomnia. Are Xarelto, Eliquis, etc., any different in this respect?

Many thanks!

--Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 01:49PM by ln108.
Re: Warfarin and Insomnia?
May 15, 2018 06:16PM
Hi Lance - Sorry to read about your sleep issues. My time on warfarin were very limited as I just didn't get along with it...(but not because of sleep issues) and I wasn't required to stay on it after ablation #1 in 2003. I had a flutter ablation and followup in 2014 and 2015 ...and have been on Eliquis since. I can report that I do not have sleep problems on Eliquis... although I don't like it for other reasons...not to mention cost.

Jackie

PS - Here's a 2015 report from Life Extension on the New Oral Anticoagulants that you might find useful.
The update is that a reversal agent has just been approved for Eliquis.

[www.lifeextension.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 06:22PM by Jackie.
May 16, 2018 12:00PM
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your kind response. Hope you're doing well. Thanks also for the Life Extension reference, which was helpful. I tried Xarleto some years ago, and it didn't agree. My cardiologist is happy to let me try Eliquis, so I'll do that and report back.

Warm regards,

--Lance
May 26, 2018 10:20AM
Hi In108,

Since you intend to start with Eliquis instead of Warfarin, I would like to tell you that Eliquis causes me great fatigue sometimes to the point of exhaustion. I hate it. If you search online regarding this issue, you'll see that many report feeling this great fatigue because of Eliquis. Some say that they returned to Warfarin because of it.
May 27, 2018 06:40AM
Dear Leah,

Thank you so much for your kind input. I'm so sorry to hear of your struggle with Eliquis. I'm not doing so well with it either. Not so much fatigue, at least yet, but nausea and stomach pain. Not sure what my next option might be.

Best wishes,

--Lance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login